Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Three questions

1. Does the P2 shell come with the battery door?

2. Does the NAZA LED unit do the same colors and warning as the built-in one on the stock P1?

3. Will this Naza led unit that is designed for the V2; work on a P1 with Naza Lite and a PMU installed?

Thanks

OI Photography said:
PJA said:
DJI released a Phantom 2 Camera mount recently... (middle of the page)... http://www.dji.com/dji-released-the-fpv-hub-camera-mounting-bracket-and-prop-guard-for-phantom-2/

Thanks for reminding me I need to order that with my P2 shell. I need the stock screw locations for my gopro and gimbal as well. Let us know if you find a source.

Try here... http://1uas.com/Phantom-2-Part-7-Phantom-2-Camera-Mounting-Brackets

I ordered my P2 shell from them last week and got it within a couple days... I'm ordering the mounting bracket tonight...

CyberVet65 said:
Two questions

2. Does the NAZA LED unit do the same colors and warning as the built-in one on the stock P1?

Thanks

I can answer the first question for sure... The answer is NO! You can find P2 Battery Doors here ... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...ntom+2+vision+battery+door&_sacat=0&_from=R40...

They are very steep in price. I am waiting to see what DeweyAXD is producing for Shapeways. He said it's in production now..

As far as I know, I've seen YouTube vids of the NAZA LED unit working on f550's and it looks like it is the same...

Anyway, my question to anyone who would know if the NAZA LED Unit is able to work with the Phantom NAZA V1 (since I have an original Phantom...).

PJA said:
OI Photography said:
PJA said:
DJI released a Phantom 2 Camera mount recently... (middle of the page)... http://www.dji.com/dji-released-the-fpv-hub-camera-mounting-bracket-and-prop-guard-for-phantom-2/

Thanks for reminding me I need to order that with my P2 shell. I need the stock screw locations for my gopro and gimbal as well. Let us know if you find a source.

Try here... http://1uas.com/Phantom-2-Part-7-Phantom-2-Camera-Mounting-Brackets

I ordered my P2 shell from them last week and got it within a couple days... I'm ordering the mounting bracket tonight...

Cool, thanks. I'm getting my shell, board and LED from them anyway, didn't realize they had the bracket in stock yet.

I know the NAZA LED will work on a 1.2 Phantom and I assume a 1.1.

Wow busy night on here it seems. Great pics MC - Did you buy that P2 to XT60 cable or make your own? I will to find a UK source for one of these. Glad to see the LED solution worked out.

Battery I am looking at so far is this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... earch=6400

I've not bourght it just yet because it's power to weight ratio is only 1.4 where as the DJI 5200 with plastic case is 1.6 (shout if you want to know how I do the working on that guys). I really want to find a batt with a 1.5+ power to weight. The 6400 will probably give me a similar flight time to the DJI but @ 502g the flight characteristics won't be great.

3. Will this Naza led unit that is designed for the V2; work on a P1 with Naza Lite and a PMU installed?

1. No - as mentioned I am working at getting something available as cheep as I can. Cost is based on material used and it is a big part but I'm sure I can get it down a lot from those ebay ones. Likely to be a couple of weeks before its available though.
2. Yes - attaches to the same 4 pins on the NAZA which tells what two colours to flash (Green, Red or Green & REd together = Yellow)
3. Pretty sure it will. It works with the P1 Red NAZA fine but that is running v2 firmware. To be honest for the relative low cost its worth the gamble to try it. Fundamentally it is just a 2 colour LED with a USB connection.

Re: NAZA LED - yes it works on all Naza units that use LED config and yes it uses same colors (actually brighter)

Mr D - I bought the XT60 to spade (P2) connector - like $2 at local shop

EMCSQUAR said:
Re: NAZA LED - yes it works on all Naza units that use LED config and yes it uses same colors (actually brighter)

Hmmm seems nothing to be found in the UK yet. I'm going to make my own from a cut up deans plug and some Sugru. I'll probably do a video of it so others can give it a go.
I just made the purchase of a P2 battery & charger and a second LED to play with... there goes the best part of £150! And this hobby was meant to save me money overy modifying my Impreza!

EMCSQUAR said:

To be precise, it works on red Naza-M v1 models that do not have the internal LED (later model v1s). The earlier v1 with led in the shell, even when flashed with v2 firmware, cannot use the led v2 module without modification to the pins of the Naza.

It should be fine with all but the earliest Phantom builds.

Managed to get a little done on this today.

Loads of detail here on the blog:

Highlights:

P2 Battery has arrived. Just waiting for the DIY Sugru based plug to set over the next 24hrs (more details on that when its ready). Not exactly pretty but it should work.

Main work was on adding the v2 LED along side the stock LED (so I have one front and back).

I think I should apolagise for some of my suggestions on this earlier in this thread. I found that the grey plug on the v2 LED stuck out a little to far and impacted the shell. A bit of shaving could work on this or moving the NAZA forward.

I created a splice cable that doubled the connections coming from the LED. Pics to show what I mean:

IMG_4081.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

Completed cable with NAZA LED = 18g which was only 5g more than the LED cable itself.

I also weighed the stock USB cable all on its own. Pretty heavy given that its not even including the circuit board.

IMG_4065.jpg

The other thing I should apolagise for is the location I suggested to poke the cable through. Way too much clutter at that location. Instead I removed the rear panel via the 4 small screws, notched it out with a dremmel right in the corner on the shut line and slotted the cable into the grove... nice and neat.

IMG_4089.jpg

IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

More to follow and a video too showing it all working.

DeweyAXD said:
Main work was on adding the v2 LED along side the stock LED (so I have one front and back).

I had EXACTLY this spliced setup on my phantom for a while. Make sure the USB (either) still works with the splice, mine didn't and I needed to disconnect the ground to one of them to get it working. That's mainly why I dropped the front LED and stuck with the back.

DeweyAXD said:
P2 Battery has arrived. Just waiting for the DIY Sugru based plug to set over the next 24hrs (more details on that when its ready). Not exactly pretty but it should work.

Looking forward to seeing that mod...

How is the P2 3D battery door coming along, Mr. D?

Little video update from all I've talked about above.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MASn216uNU[/youtube]

Make sure the USB (either) still works with the splice

I had a feeling that might be an issue Elguano (Ironically I think I say it on the video somewhere). Should have tested it before the heatshrinking process began! :roll: I'll try it later. I'm not overly fussed if I have to go back down to one LED as I will likely buy a second iOSD mini for the Phantom 1.5 anyway.

2 more weeks of awful weather predicted here.... when its not raining it is 20+ mph winds and when they drop it rains! I can see me making a KK2.1 based sealed up waterproof quad from my old P1 shell right now!! :D

I flew in the rain this weekend, it wasn't a downpour but you can definitely see it coming down on the video. Probably not the best thing to do for the phantom (one of those activities that works flawlessly, until the one time it doesn't) :)

ElGuano said:
I flew in the rain this weekend, it wasn't a downpour but you can definitely see it coming down on the video. Probably not the best thing to do for the phantom (one of those activities that works flawlessly, until the one time it doesn't) :)

Brave man! I mean the BL motors are actually pretty proved to be waterproof, its the issue of them splashing water into the ESC's that will be the downfall (literally). Thats why I think waterproofing (or at least rainproofing) the shell wouldn't be too hard. Personally I don't think the vents really do much (if anything) so sealing them and creating a 'bung' in the arms between the motors and the ESC's could work.

I really need to concentrate on one thing at a time :lol:

Question for MC (and others) - How the hell did you manage to fit the P2 battery and that XT60 converter into the shell? This is my next challenge to face and my first version of the connecter that I made was way to fat (my own fault for not checking).

DeweyAXD said:
Question for MC (and others) - How the hell did you manage to fit the P2 battery and that XT60 converter into the shell? This is my next challenge to face and my first version of the connecter that I made was way to fat (my own fault for not checking).

Sir Dewey,
1st I extended Phantom cable around to side where P2 pins connect, routing cable over that small bridge (left side as looking in battery cavity) I "trained cable over bridge so everytime I install battery it flexs just over the bridge. I'll post pics when I reassemble (she's getting a high visibilty paint job)

Hmmm, the Naza led sure would fit nicely in a Dewey shapeways P2 battery door...
:D

Well I spent an hour this evening playing with ideas for the P2-->XT60 converter.

First idea came off really great... until I tried fitting it. It could be used but you would have to cut one of the internal plastic pillars off (used to mount the proper internal power connecter). So... if you like this do it. Personally I liked it but I didn't want to cut any of the shell just incase DJI do something soooo amazing that requires a proper Phantom 2 (with Phantom 2 main board setup). Unlikely but still.

First I took the weird diaganol power connecter out of the DJI Phantom 2 charger box. Wasn't gonna need it but I liked the look of the spades!

IMG_4096.jpg

Off with one screw...

IMG_4097.jpg

Out with the guts...

IMG_4099.jpg

Pull the prongs and they pop out.

IMG_4101.jpg

Mark for size inside the P2 battery...

IMG_4103.jpg

Check against the charger itself...

IMG_4106.jpg

File it down for soldering.

IMG_4116.jpg

Fill the XT60 with solder....

IMG_4119.jpg

Solder the spades directly onto the plug....

IMG_4120.jpg

Heat shrink...

IMG_4121.jpg

Pad with a little foam to support it...

IMG_4122.jpg

Bit of h.shrink around this all ready to compress the foam down tight...

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

Done and it doesn't really get much neater, really happy with it and then went to fit.... doh!!

IMG_4129.jpg

Kinda hard to see but the above pic shows the issue. The battery isn't even in fully let alone a place for the Female connector. That little white pillar could easily come off with the dremmel but back to the drawing board for me....

Attempt 2 (well actually 3 but my Sugru attempt was just awful!).

Off with the shrink, solder etc etc and a few test fits this time (measure once fit twice right?? :roll: )

IMG_4132.jpg

This is what I ended with. Note the angle here. This is so the wires raise up over the offending plastic screw holder.

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4140.jpg

Bit of double heat shrink and the same foam tactic

IMG_4139.jpg

Battery fitted fully inside, cables lifting nicely over the obstruction.

IMG_4142.jpg

Not a great pic but this is now with the female connecter ummm.... connected! Battery in place, clipped in and plugged in. To make this happen I, like MC extended the battery wire, ran it around the front. I left enough to be able to get it out of the shell for dual battery work and make connecting easy too.

So yes it is a little fidly compared to using a stock lipo but hey I've made the **** ups so others don't have to I guess which is never a bad thing :mrgreen: Don't forget the battery itself has the internal on/off switch so this does allow you to get everything in place before starting her up. Something I am sure all P1 owners envied a little (I know I did).

Tomorrow evening I'll get the USB tested (too much mess on the **** desk to get the laptop close enough!!) and fire it all up (lets hope not literally!).

DeweyAXD said:
Well I spent an hour this evening playing with ideas for the P2-->XT60 converter.

This process seems to be getting a little complex...

Is it really worth all this, since the original idea was to transplant the P1 guts into a P2 shell? I thought all we were working for was to have more battery space to get a longer flight time on two lipos without mutilating the original Phantoms door opening. Hence the Phantom 1 Hybrid...

I applaud your creative energy and know that it will eventually turn out fine, but it seems like you want to make this project into a complete P2... I thought the P2 (vision) battery needed the newer circuit board to work correctly? (Something about the battery containing intelligent circuitry... I would think the P2 circuit board would come into play with that).

Anyway Mr. D, I admire your detailed pictures and videos and have learned a lot from you... Once I have all the parts in I will be building my hybrid Phantom... I'll keep you posted...

PJA said:
DeweyAXD said:

This process seems to be getting a little complex...

Is it really worth all this, since the original idea was to transplant the P1 guts into a P2 shell? I thought all we were working for was to have more battery space to get a longer flight time on two lipos without mutilating the original Phantoms door opening. Hence the Phantom 1 Hybrid...

I applaud your creative energy and know that it will eventually turn out fine, but it seems like you want to make this project into a complete P2... I thought the P2 (vision) battery needed the newer circuit board to work correctly? (Something about the battery containing intelligent circuitry... I would think the P2 circuit board would come into play with that).

Anyway Mr. D, I admire your detailed pictures and videos and have learned a lot from you... Once I have all the parts in I will be building my hybrid Phantom... I'll keep you posted...

I don't see cross-purposes here. You can take this mod as far as you want. Just do the transplant and relocate the LED and you can be done. Want to use the p2 battery instead? Do x more. Want to use any battery that fits including the p2 battery? Add y. Want to have dual LEDs? Etc. Etc. The natural next step is to see how far this mod can go, but it doesn't obligate anyone who wants to do it to go all the way.

The P2 battery discharges like any standard lipo (once turned on). It's the P2's special Naza that gets offended and requires a handshake to work with a battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31