Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Wow, what a hive of Phantom-based mad-scientist awesomeness there seems to be just 2.58 miles to the SSW of me (as the quad flies). If the lights start flickering I now know who's probably to blame. ;)

Great work and much respect from a local distinctly non-technical non-tinkerer!

Pull_Up said:
Wow, what a hive of Phantom-based mad-scientist awesomeness there seems to be just 2.58 miles to the SSW of me (as the quad flies). If the lights start flickering I now know who's probably to blame. ;)

Great work and much respect from a local distinctly non-technical non-tinkerer!

:lol: Yeah if you've seen some of my blogs on RCgroups highlighting incidents such as 'smokey saturday' you are about right! (put simply I put a rather angry 16.8v of 4s down the negative terminal of my Feiyu-tech gimbal by accident!). You can't learn how to fix it if you don't break it afterall :D

I might have driven past you flying near Hadden Hill a month or so ago? (pretty sure it was a Phantom... or aliens). Small world.

D3wy, you seem like a fun bloke to share a couple pints and fly some quadcopters with. We'll have to meet up some time.

FatKevinSmith said:
D3wy, you seem like a fun bloke to share a couple pints and fly some quadcopters with. We'll have to meet up some time.

Thanks Kevin. Looks like there are a few local(ish) people to this area in here so it would be good to gather some time in the Summer maybe when there is a bit of evening sun (frankly any sun would be good right now... hell i'd settle for grey with no wind right now!).

Gagging to try out the Phantom '1.5' fully (as well as my XuGong10 on its 11" T-motor CF props for the first proper time.... props slipped and binned it into a field on their maiden flight!).

Design for the P2 battery door is underway now.

DeweyAXD said:
Gagging to try out the Phantom '1.5' fully...

I'd prefer if we call it a Phantom v1 Hybrid,... Has more of a superior, technical sound over other Phantoms...
(However, if you are claiming rights to this design, you can always call it the "DeweyAXD Phantom v1 Hybrid" ... :D )

Looking forward to it...

DeweyAXD said:
FatKevinSmith said:

Put me down for a "Dewey Door"

PJA said:
(However, if you are claiming rights to this design, you can always call it the "DeweyAXD Phantom v1 Hybrid" ... :D )

:lol: - No I think just cause I got it on a youtube video before others doesn't mean there weren't like 50+ people out there that will claim to be the first!! I'll let them claim it (and hence take the huge lawsuit from DJI :roll: ) - I like the P1 Hybrid! Hey if you just made that up and it catches on maybe you'll get a lawsuit too! Law suites for all!!! :mrgreen:

I'm guessing people will like a few different sizes of battery door.... and maybe one with a built in NAZA v2 LED holder inegrated I'm thinking.

DeweyAXD said:
I'm guessing people will like a few different sizes of battery door.... and maybe one with a built in NAZA v2 LED holder inegrated I'm thinking.

I have the original Phantom NAZA in my Phantom v1... Would the NAZA v2 LED work in my Phantom?
If not, is there a way to integrate the Phantom 1 LED into a battery door, Mr. D?

PJA said:
DeweyAXD said:

I have the original Phantom NAZA in my Phantom v1... Would the NAZA v2 LED work in my Phantom?
If not, is there a way to integrate the Phantom 1 LED into a battery door, Mr. D?

It's plug & play with a nice long cable

DeweyAXD said:
PJA said:

:lol: - No I think just cause I got it on a youtube video before others doesn't mean there weren't like 50+ people out there that will claim to be the first!! I'll let them claim it (and hence take the huge lawsuit from DJI :roll: ) - I like the P1 Hybrid! Hey if you just made that up and it catches on maybe you'll get a lawsuit too! Law suites for all!!! :mrgreen:

I think you should call it the "CQLE Limited Edition" aka the Colin Quinn Lawsuit Express

Great little hack there. Might have to have a play around with that on my XuGong. Needs modding a little so u can flip between status LED coulrs and navigation mode (red at front, green at back). Only issue is the weight of the wiring on a small quad. Still thanks for finding it.

ElGuano said:
DeweyAXD said:
ElGuano said:
There's a prebaked arduino solution to do almost exactly this, just for you. If it doesn't get posted before I get home, I'll add it here.

Sounds interesting! Look forward to seeing it.

I forgot all about this until tonight. Check it out:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2060729

I'd love to know where they got those little LED rings

I'd love to know where they got those little LED rings

http://www.adafruit.com/ - some great stuff on there. Problem is you need a controller/programming to get the best of them.

OK, so I now have in my possession a Phantom 2 Vision Shell...

I have an aftermarket gimbal (not a Zenmuse) and I see that my gimbal brackets don't line up with any of the holes on the bottom where the isolator bracket should be... This also means I can't use my Phantom 1's isolator bracket for my GoPro without the gimbal...

After thinking this over, I'm wondering if I need the Phantom 2 Vision isolator bracket: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DJI-Pha...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8ad2d92a and then add an after market isolator plate: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fibe...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417b02e4c1 so I can attach my GoPro with my Phantoms bracket or my gimbal...

Maybe I have to drill some new holes in the Phantom 2 so I can add my isolator bracket or gimbal (something I don't really want to do).

Any ideas out there? Is there an easier way, Mr. DeweyAXD?

Something tells me this project is going to turn into a money pit... More money, more money, more freakin' money... It never ends... :cry:

Question for ya Dewey - Now after doing the "Dewey Phantom 1.5 conversion" did you have to extend Phantom internal battery cable from the board? I could've flipped the board but just did the internals transfer and cable was on opposite side and needed to be extended & clearanced for P2 batt. Also am having a heck of a time getting lid to sit flush - almost as if P2 upper shell is lower. She's bulging at the seams.

Sorry for the lack of response guys... been on a Stag weekend (Bathchelor Party to those in the USA). Suffice to say I shouldn't be going anywhere near anything with fast spinning blades with the amount of vodka still in the system!

Question for ya Dewey - Now after doing the "Dewey Phantom 1.5 conversion" did you have to extend Phantom internal battery cable from the board? I could've flipped the board but just did the internals transfer and cable was on opposite side and needed to be extended & clearanced for P2 batt. Also am having a heck of a time getting lid to sit flush - almost as if P2 upper shell is lower. She's bulging at the seams.

MC - I've PM'd you back. For those others reading I havn't extended the cables yet but the P2 shell does make them stick out about an inch less. I get around this because I use parallel cables which extends them. Well worth considering extending them when you have your shell open and a soldering iron handy.

OK, so I now have in my possession a Phantom 2 Vision Shell...

I have an aftermarket gimbal (not a Zenmuse) and I see that my gimbal brackets don't line up with any of the holes on the bottom where the isolator bracket should be... This also means I can't use my Phantom 1's isolator bracket for my GoPro without the gimbal...

After thinking this over, I'm wondering if I need the Phantom 2 Vision isolator bracket: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DJI-Phantom ... 3a8ad2d92a and then add an after market isolator plate: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-PT ... 417b02e4c1 so I can attach my GoPro with my Phantoms bracket or my gimbal...

Maybe I have to drill some new holes in the Phantom 2 so I can add my isolator bracket or gimbal (something I don't really want to do).

Any ideas out there? Is there an easier way, Mr. DeweyAXD?

Something tells me this project is going to turn into a money pit... More money, more money, more freakin' money... It never ends... :cry:

Tricky one this PJA. Personally I am of the opinion that rubber dampners don't actually help all that much with Jello. If you've seen any of my blogs about the XuGong 10 or better still the Feiyutech G3 I found that a well balance craft and no antivibration dampeners can work as well as, if not better than using them. Right now my Zenmuse mounts to the XuGong without the bracket. For that reason it might be worth looking at DIY options for at least testing without them. Sandwhich box material is a great place to start (tupperwear). Its cheap, tough and you can see through it for marking out against the existing thread holes.

If you did want to go the antivibration route you can make your own from that material too and all you need is an 8mm drill bit.

If possible I'd avoid drilling holes in the shell. I think it will last up to it but without bracing it might be a weak point when crashing.

I feel your pain on the costing front.... I did this for a bit of fun and curiousity but now I'm looking at P2 batts AND a 6400mah just to compare! These things are so addictive :roll:

Addictive isn't the word, I feel like I'm going to the local drug dealer everytime I go into local hobby shop - sad part is HE KNOWS IT!

I finally got mine transformed into Phantom vers 1.5 - I did have to extend my battery cable from board as the P2 shell battery is rear loaded. Other than that it was a squeeze getting all the goods into the shell (Futaba, Mini OSD,PMU and Zenmuse) attached some pics

Note - deweys suggestion about LED replacement is bang on.

Attachments

• P2 Batt.JPG
    P2 Batt.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 539
  • P2 cable.JPG
    P2 cable.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 568
  • Naza LED.JPG
    Naza LED.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 621

DeweyAXD said:
If possible I'd avoid drilling holes in the shell. I think it will last up to it but without bracing it might be a weak point when crashing.

DJI released a Phantom 2 Camera mount recently... (middle of the page)... http://www.dji.com/dji-released-the-fpv-hub-camera-mounting-bracket-and-prop-guard-for-phantom-2/

I think this is what I am looking for. Hopefully it will work with my Phantom 1 GoPro bracket, as shown, and my GLB Gimbal with the same screw holes. Then I wouldn't have to drill into the shell...

Which 6400mah Battery are you using, Mr D.?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj