Video filmed in Australia advice / CASA Rules

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So seeing as CASA aren't replying to my email just wondering if anyone here would know rules for using footage shot with the Phantom in Australia.

I know all the basic rules and regulations like I can't benefit financially from video without license etc but what I would like to know is, if I were to go and shoot a video of a property for example a winery and then I gave the footage to the winery for free for them to use as they wanted, would they then be able to go and use that footage in say a TV commercial to advertise them in a way that then they would benefit financially from the use of the footage?

If CASA was to then go to them and say show me the permits for shooting this aerial footage would it come back and bite me seeing as I don't have a licence?

Doono said:
It would be fine, a bit like if a family friend took the footage and they asked for a copy.

And if they came back to me in 6 months asking if I could edit their commercial using footage which included my shot would I be able to get paid for the editing time?

Joel_t said:
Doono said:
It would be fine, a bit like if a family friend took the footage and they asked for a copy.

And if they came back to me in 6 months asking if I could edit their commercial using footage which included my shot would I be able to get paid for the editing time?

Of course.

Don't worry about casa catching you its going to be a big operator who will dob you in because your robbing him of his income because he had spent over $30000 on equipment licensing to just piss n mone that us punk kids with our toy phantoms can do a better job than them and we also have a personality to talk to clients ... I shoot videos for a living and I use my phantom a big operator not on this forum asked me how I did the video footage I said with a kite...
my advice do it on the down low until casa sort out this licensing stuff
as I posted on another post casa are looking to deregulate under 2kg uavs but the industry spoke people are against it ...

Search the forum for CASA to find some discussions of CASA's proposal to change the rules for <2kg machines so they need no approvals. Submissions close mid June and CASA want to sort this out sooner rather than later.
The licensed operators are squealing but CASA have thought it out pretty well and expresses their preferred solution which is quite different from what those that paid $8k or more for licensing would like to see.

This is what I don't get about the government trying to regulate what drones are allowed to do.
I can take all the video I want on the ground, with camera in hand.
I can attach the camera to a car all I want. I can even attach a 50 foot pole to the same car with the camera on the pole.
I can set up a 200 foot crane and put a video camera on that!
I can video tape from a 2000 foot tall building even.
Now when I put that same camera on a drone, the government steps in and says it's illegal unless you buy a license.
Then if you get paid for that video, it's a business and you have to buy yet another license or it's totally illegal.
I think it's high time us pilots around the world teamed together and begin fighting back.
Pay no fines without being heard in court.
Drones are going to be a big part of the future like it or not.
I can see where drones will be used to cover sporting events such as baseball and football.
You might even see them in the Olympics and other track and field events.

Might just double my video editing fees but throw in free aerial footage haha Such a grey area, can't wait until they exempt UAV's under 2kg.

Should just make it anyone using a UAV within the rules are allowed to do as they please and get paid but anyone caught breaking the rules (above 400ft etc) should be able to be fined as usual. Any professional production can still use the big quads.

Just saw the ad for 60 min Australia this Sunday night "Rise of the drones" let's see what crap they spin but then again they use them for there docos but guess what you won't find them on casa's uav operators register ...
wonder how they are getting around the commercial use ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl