Video feed keeps freezing

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with the video feed coming from my Phantom. It has a tendency to freeze up. Over the summer I was having an issue with the video feed completely blacking out but after some disassemble of the WiFi module and applying new thermal paste, everything seemed to be working fine again. After about a week or two though, it started to freeze the video feed intermittently. Sometimes it only freeze the feed for about 1-2 secs which isn't an issue but other times it freezes for over 30secs. Also the frequency between when it freezes it unpredictable as well. Most of the time though, it'll freeze for a few seconds and live stream for a few seconds and then freeze again. It can be quite frustrating as fly through FPV is impossible. These freezes are not complete blackouts though. When it was doing the blackouts, it required and complete power cycle to get the video feed to return.

So, with all this in mind, here is what I've tried. I have another phantom that I currently don't use but has working components. I have swapped the WiFi module and tested with no change. I put the old WiFi module back in and test with a different range extender with no change. I swapped both WiFi module and range extender with no change, and finally swapped out the antenna's which had no effect. I essentially replaced all the components that relate to the video transmission and receiver. Have I missed any other hardware components?

My last idea would be doing a firmware upgrade. I am currently using 3.08 and have zero issues and would like to keep it if possible. If I upgrade to 3.14, if it changes nothing, is there a way to change it back to 3.08?

I'm having an issue with the video feed coming from my Phantom. It has a tendency to freeze up. Over the summer I was having an issue with the video feed completely blacking out but after some disassemble of the WiFi module and applying new thermal paste, everything seemed to be working fine again. After about a week or two though, it started to freeze the video feed intermittently. Sometimes it only freeze the feed for about 1-2 secs which isn't an issue but other times it freezes for over 30secs. Also the frequency between when it freezes it unpredictable as well. Most of the time though, it'll freeze for a few seconds and live stream for a few seconds and then freeze again. It can be quite frustrating as fly through FPV is impossible. These freezes are not complete blackouts though. When it was doing the blackouts, it required and complete power cycle to get the video feed to return.

So, with all this in mind, here is what I've tried. I have another phantom that I currently don't use but has working components. I have swapped the WiFi module and tested with no change. I put the old WiFi module back in and test with a different range extender with no change. I swapped both WiFi module and range extender with no change, and finally swapped out the antenna's which had no effect. I essentially replaced all the components that relate to the video transmission and receiver. Have I missed any other hardware components?

My last idea would be doing a firmware upgrade. I am currently using 3.08 and have zero issues and would like to keep it if possible. If I upgrade to 3.14, if it changes nothing, is there a way to change it back to 3.08?
Mess around with camera settings , bring up quality and try to see where it freezes. As for reverting back to 308 check the forum for info.

Mess around with camera settings , bring up quality and try to see where it freezes. As for reverting back to 308 check the forum for info.

I have the preview quality set to its lowest at 320x240@15fps. I had it at 640x480@15fps earlier and there was no change between the two. I tested it out early with no distance between the range extender and the antenna on the bird and it was still freezing up. On the app you can watch the WiFi signal strength go from full to "connection lost" back to full signal in seconds.

What version is your DJI APP?
I just uninstalled and reinstalled the DJI app thinking it might have been the issue but it had no effect, I also reloaded the camera firmware as well just to be sure that wasn't' the issue.

I have done a few times since swapping out the WiFi module.

i have tried an older phone and one of my tablets as an alternative as well as the litchi app just to make sure its not the app. It feels like the camera just isn't able to transmit fast enough because the problem get slightly worse with higher transmission resolutions. The 640x480@30fps doesnt hardly work.

would a hard reset do anything for this kind of issue?

Alright, I did the hard reset and still have this terrible freezing going on and now I'm stuck with firmware 3.14 instead of 3.08. I'm worse off than before. Is there anyway to roll back the firmware or downgrade it. I looked around and couldn't find anything with any good details.

I have identical **** problem !!! Only difference that I use GoPro which is directly connected to the WiFi module and stock gimbal and camera are removed.

What could the problem be ? I will try with different Extender and put another WiFi module bit what else is left !?!? I am using FPV booster app on iPhone.

How can it freeze when you replace WiFi module + antenna + extender !?!? That DJI is a disgrace for quality.

On mine when I get it to connect the Phantom flashes fast green LEDs and SYSTEM LED on the extender glows with small flashes like it is doing something. As soon as the video goes black&white and freezes photo and telemtry data, in cases when Connection broken does not appear, that SYSTEM led on the extender turns OFF. There must be solution for this problem.

Last edited:
I have identical **** problem !!! Only difference that I use GoPro which is directly connected to the WiFi module and stock gimbal and camera are removed.

What could the problem be ? I will try with different Extender and put another WiFi module bit what else is left !?!? I am using FPV booster app on iPhone.

How it can freeze when you replace WiFi module + antenna + extender !?!? That DJI is a disgrace for quality.

I am still hopeful that a brand new WiFi module will fix it. The one that I swapped in was from another functioning P2V+. The brand new one is the newer version with the ventilation holes some I'm hoping this will take care of it. It should be coming in on Tuesday.

But for what price ? That module is insanely expensive. And if you got first replacemennt from working Vision+ then it should work and new module will not fix it.
We cannot swap modules like they are 18$ and not 180$ !
In that case the only smart thing to do is to run it over with a car and buy anything else that isnt produced by DJI.

How can it freeze when you replace WiFi module + antenna + extender !?!? That DJI is a disgrace for quality.

On mine when I get it to connect the Phantom flashes fast green LEDs and SYSTEM LED on the extender glows with small flashes like it is doing something. As soon as the video goes black&white and freezes photo and telemtry data, in cases when Connection broken does not appear, that SYSTEM led on the extender turns OFF. There must be solution for this problem.

I understand your point there, it is something that I had considered before purchasing. I figured if it still didn't fix the issue then I'd still be able to use it in my functioning phantom. The functioning one has an older module without the ventilation that would probably go out sooner or later. As far as running over it, I'll probably keep it for parts at least, the resale value on these things is pretty low. I had thought about investing in a new UAV and have consider the P3 and the Q500 4k. Both have their advantages, I'm not gonna make a decision for a while though, at least not til the P4 release. For now, I'm just trying to get my P2V+ to work as it is still a good UAV and still take great pictures and video.

Well it is perfect for me since it canuse GoPro camera and I wont change it ever. Only if it works like it should !

Please keep us posted when you get new module so I know if that was the problem.

I understand your point there, it is something that I had considered before purchasing. I figured if it still didn't fix the issue then I'd still be able to use it in my functioning phantom. The functioning one has an older module without the ventilation that would probably go out sooner or later. As far as running over it, I'll probably keep it for parts at least, the resale value on these things is pretty low. I had thought about investing in a new UAV and have consider the P3 and the Q500 4k. Both have their advantages, I'm not gonna make a decision for a while though, at least not til the P4 release. For now, I'm just trying to get my P2V+ to work as it is still a good UAV and still take great pictures and video.

Hi
Just cutting in here - I have 2 P2V+ & both have Wi-fi connection problems. Totally frustrated as I believe both Wi-Fi modules are at fault. I can boot up both P2V+ & sometimes the screens will show good but most of the time the screen is frozen & that's if it is not completely black!
Anyone have any idea if when the WiFi modules are on their way out this is typical or could it be something else?
Thanks for any info that may help

Reactions: Karanba
I dont know man. It seems impossible that both of them have identical problem. On those WiFi POS video part burns but telemtry should stay ! So why does it freeze everything in app !? My Phantom battery freezes and every other info, it is insane and I think impossible, telemetry should still work.

I think it is not WiFi module, maybe some cables are not plugged right. Someone could take a look at this and when he finds out what the problem is he should get payed with donations for that because those DJI nobrainers have no clue except take our money. When they give me their c&p reply I want to smash the bird and their unusable support.

Few days ago they told me that bricking Extender with Android update is bull from like stupid people who dont know how to update. 2 days later, YOU WERE RIGHT, WE ARE WORKING ON A FIX !

Last edited:
Reactions: Palliz
I dont know man. It seems impossible that both of them have identical problem. On those WiFi POS video part burns but telemtry should stay ! So why does it freeze everything in app !? My Phantom battery freezes and every other info, it is insane and I think impossible, telemetry should still work.

I think it is not WiFi module, maybe some cables are not plugged right. Someone could take a look at this and when he finds out what the problem is he should get payed with donations for that because those DJI nobrainers have no clue except take our money. When they give me their c&p reply I want to smash the bird and their unusable support.

Few days ago they told me that bricking Extender with Android update is bull from like stupid people who dont know how to update. 2 days later, YOU WERE RIGHT, WE ARE WORKING ON A FIX !

Thanks for the input - I have checked & rechecked my P2V+ from stripping it down & checking continuity of all the cables connected to the gimbal & they're all good. Yesterday I re-installed the camera firmware - Phantom 2 Vision+ FC200 Firmware v1.3.0g 2015-01-16
Rebooted & the screen came up bright & pretty again!
This morning - took forever to get the screen to come on but it did finally then it crashed into like a bluish scrambled screen & back to clear great pic screen again............this is nuts!
Oh & the reason why I have 2 P2V+ with the same problem is that I almost totaled one of them by crashing from around 60' when the **** battery just failed - went from 65% to nothing in seconds! I bought a new shell & swapped over internals but the gimbal & camera were toast on that P2V+ so I swapped the gimbal/camera over from my other P2V+ ending up with the same problem......................Not sure if I'm making any sense here?
I have telemetry & battery info on both birds no problem it is the screen freezing up or turning blue etc that is frustrating.
I feel for you man - DJI are no help at all - especially since the release of the new line of P3's!
I have a 2nd hand gimbal/camera coming from ebay that the seller assures me is 100% working so we'll see if this is the problem & NOT the WiFi module.
If you manage to get a fix from DJI please let me know
Thanks
Paul

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl