Video Editing With iPad Pro While Traveling

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and will be heading to the Yorkshire coast for three weeks in September with my new P4. I'm looking for some advice on whether or not I can get away with using an 9" ipad pro for photo and video editing instead of hauling my 17" Mac Book Pro with me? I use the Slice app on my iPhone for video editing but I'm not sure if it will be robust enough for larger footage. I've searched this forum but haven't found any specific information about this topic.

Many thanks.

Sorry everyone.... I should have posted this in photo and video.

Last edited:
I've done all my videos so far with an iPad Air 2 and iMovie with no problem. Granted, there are limited effects/transitions/speed/title/grading options, but for composition of simple videos, that combo seems to work fine for me.

The "Director" included with the DJI GO app can make decent little videos. With the iPad you'll need to download the movies from the drone to the iPad over the air and that can take a while and I don't think it works with videos shot in 4K. You can use the templates to create movies with music synchronized with scene cuts and it even lets you publish to social media. Not the best but it works ok.

I'm using iMovie on the iPad pro and then taking that rough cut to my desktop when I get back home.... It's been a very satisfying workflow for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in a similar position. I'd have thought there would be an app by now that would allow slightly more sophisticated video editing than iMovie on the pro

You can do simple edits, my iPad 2 does not support 4k, if you are loading up iPad it will soon run out of space, when I take my holiday I will be taking a few cards for storage.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

iMove for iPad works great if you want a quick and simple way of putting some footage together with transitions and music but does anyone have a recommendation of something with more features like reversing footage, editing hue and saturation, etc? Thanks.

I do all my editing on Final Cut Pro on the Mac. I now did a quick test with iPad Pro 9.7":

- I fed a few P3P 4K .mp4 clips to it via iCloud and via Dropbox in this test (export to iMovie from Dropbox).

A SD card reader connected to the iPad would be better in real projects.

- At least on this new iPad the iMovie edited 4K just fine and exported 4K (1080, 720, 540 and 360 being other export resolutions) way faster than my ancient desktop Mac mini (Late 2009 4GB 2,66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo -- I'm getting a new desktop soon...).

- Compared to Final Cut Pro the iMovie's editing options are limited: straight cuts, a few transitions, color effects and titles, 1/8 - 2x speed, freeze frame, add music or sound effects or a recording/live video, some themes.

- There seems to be Adobe Premiere for iOS.

Thanks. Yes, iMovie is great for a basic stuff and works pretty well when you want to quickly put something together. I also use FCPX at home but I find it quite satisfying to be able to put something semi decent quickly so friends can see the "final" result on the day the bird was flown. Looking at the web, it seems the Adode Premiere product is a dumb down version but there is something called Pinnacle Studio Pro that might fit the bill.

I would give "SPLICE" a try on an IPAD. It does not seem to choke as bad on 4K content the way Imovie did for me. (IPAD MINI2). Problem may be me.

iPad Pro is excellent. I have a 2015 MacBook Pro i7---even so, I use the iPad Pro a lot for editing.. That screen is superb and a joy to use. A half inch of magic. I am an iMovie dweeb though-- my 2 cents is 1.5 cents when it comes to video editing.

I do all my editing on Final Cut Pro on the Mac. I now did a quick test with iPad Pro 9.7":

- I fed a few P3P 4K .mp4 clips to it via iCloud and via Dropbox in this test (export to iMovie from Dropbox).

A SD card reader connected to the iPad would be better in real projects.

- At least on this new iPad the iMovie edited 4K just fine and exported 4K (1080, 720, 540 and 360 being other export resolutions) way faster than my ancient desktop Mac mini (Late 2009 4GB 2,66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo -- I'm getting a new desktop soon...).

- Compared to Final Cut Pro the iMovie's editing options are limited: straight cuts, a few transitions, color effects and titles, 1/8 - 2x speed, freeze frame, add music or sound effects or a recording/live video, some themes.

- There seems to be Adobe Premiere for iOS.

Off topic, but are you thinking of getting rid of the mini when you replace it?

I use iPad Pro just make sure you will get the 256 gig version because the files are quite large it will fill up fast for editing I use pinnacle studio pro it's a very powerful app

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Aye, that's the main constraint in editing with iPad (I use iPad Pro 9,7") - the videos, even those mine 2,7K (I have P3A), are quite big in size, and when your project is ready, rendering the final product belongs one more time the same amount of free memory. -So, when I replaced my iPadAir 64GB, witch iPad Pro 128 GB, I was angry on Apple for not to offer the 64 option (I had'nt the drone that time), but yet I feel I needed to opt for max spec.
Ofc, the only viable solution for transfering videos is the Lightning > SD card reader (if you have the big iPad pro, take the new version which supports USB3 speed. All others current iPads will work with this adapter too, but in USB2 speed)
The reasons for editing on iPad on the road are the same - I've mid 2012 MacBook Pro 15,4" , but iPad is much smaller, lighter, and with more battery life. Btw, you can export the iPad's iMovie projects to your Mac and edit them there after you come home.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I think iPad Pro is really good for traveling, i like it very much, light and convenient, you just need to install good video editor on iPad Pro.
NOTE: IPad can't deal with 4K video well. You just can handle HD video or 2K video.

lightroom is great for photo edits in the field with IPad Pro. You can edit raw files and sync through adobe creative cloud. All the changes are applied in your camera roll on the desktop at home (in lightroom). It is surprisingly powerful with an intuitive interface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31