Video editing software...

El Rey said:
iquittoo said:
I use Photoshop CC for quick and short films. It is amazing what Photoshop CC can do. Doesn't have any stabilization. But you have full Photoshop color correction and all the Smart Filters available when editing video. I have an old Adobe CS3 suite with Premiere and AfterEffects. Photoshop CC is quicker and easier.

Do you mind sharing how you use Photoshop CC to edit video?

I use Photoshop daily, but never knew you could edit video with it.
Just Google the topic. There are tons of tutorials on how to edit video in PS.

Limited editing and you can also make a timelapse.

Works fine.

By the time I read this post, I had already ordered PowerDirector 12, but I was intrigued by the reference to Prodrenalin's ability to stabilize video. After reading more, I realized that Prodrenalin will also remove fisheye, which as far as I can tell can't be done with PowerDirector 12. I decided to order it as well and give them both a try. I used the stabilization feature of both on a short clip of video that was pretty jerky. They both did a good job and frankly not much difference to my eye.

werDirector 12. Perform any color corrections, noise reduction, adding of sound tracks, and general editing of the clip there. If it is still somewhat shaky, perform the stabilization correction again.

Ron

Ron,

When downloading, can you install on more than 1 computer? And how do you like the program so far?

With my FC40 scheduled to arrive probably Wednesday I was looking for some stabilisation/editing software, Discovered an older version of Corel Video Studio Pro X4 Ultimate (EN) for a mere €17. It's from 2011 I believe but Corel still released a Service Pack 3 last year. The Ultimate version has amongst others proDAD Mercalli SE video stabilisation and rolling shutter correction.

Can't go wrong for that price methinks. Sold by a 3rd party reseller on the Dutch bol.com. Sorry, no shipping abroad (box version) so prolly only of interest to other Dutchies.

CaptainChet said:
El Rey said:
iquittoo said:
I use Photoshop CC for quick and short films. It is amazing what Photoshop CC can do. Doesn't have any stabilization. But you have full Photoshop color correction and all the Smart Filters available when editing video. I have an old Adobe CS3 suite with Premiere and AfterEffects. Photoshop CC is quicker and easier.

Do you mind sharing how you use Photoshop CC to edit video?

I use Photoshop daily, but never knew you could edit video with it.
Just Google the topic. There are tons of tutorials on how to edit video in PS.

Limited editing and you can also make a timelapse.

Works fine.

Yes I should have worded my comment better. I should Google it, but I'm also interested if there are any specific Phantom footage-related tips and tricks that people might have when using Photoshop. Such as a series of saved actions.

Shrimpfarmer said:
I am using Final Cut Pro X. It has stabilisation and works well. Mac only though.
i use FCPX but the result is mediocre in the stabilization (the image is moving like panties on the clothesline :D ), the rest of the program is perfect, i like this software but i´m thinking about change to after effects and premier only for the stabilization :cry:

legacytg said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
I am using Final Cut Pro X. It has stabilisation and works well. Mac only though.
i use FCPX but the result is mediocre in the stabilization (the image is moving like panties on the clothesline :D ), the rest of the program is perfect, i like this software but i´m thinking about change to after effects and premier only for the stabilization :cry:
If FCPX is perfect for your need (all bar the stabilisation), then I would look at getting something like ProDad's ProDRENALIN, you can run de-fish and stabilization on your footage before taking the output to FCPX for final finishing. Its about $50 £37

http://www.prodad.com/home/products/act ... ,l-us.html

Re: Video editing software...Power Director 12

I have been using Power Director 12 with no problems. I tried to download the Adobe product and had nothing but difficulties. I found the learning curve a bit of a struggle, but once I got it down, I can do them fast now.

Here is a vid I did on the US Pond Hockey Championships on January 19th in Minnesota. It also has a stabilization option which did help a lot. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojcpaiFiP54

QJ

milezone said:
By the time I read this post, I had already ordered PowerDirector 12, but I was intrigued by the reference to Prodrenalin's ability to stabilize video. After reading more, I realized that Prodrenalin will also remove fisheye, which as far as I can tell can't be done with PowerDirector 12. I decided to order it as well and give them both a try. I used the stabilization feature of both on a short clip of video that was pretty jerky. They both did a good job and frankly not much difference to my eye.

werDirector 12. Perform any color corrections, noise reduction, adding of sound tracks, and general editing of the clip there. If it is still somewhat shaky, perform the stabilization correction again.

Ron

Ron,

When downloading, can you install on more than 1 computer? And how do you like the program so far?

Milestone,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. My computer's been on the fritz for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure which software you're asking about? The ProDrenalin will only allow you to install on 1 computer. Not sure about the PowerDirector 12, but they do offer a trial version. The ProDrenalin is not a full-featured editing software package, but it does do an excellent job at stabilization (better than PD12) and it corrects fisheye, with a recently-released lens profile for the FC200 camera. It's also not that expensive. If you're planning on doing anything more than that, you'll need a more robust editor like PD12, or one of the more expensive offerings. I haven't had much time to play with PD12 yet, so can't comment too much, other than to say it definitely will do more than I'll ever need to do.

Ron

I downloaded prodrenalin beta to my mac, but it spits out very large files that don't like to play in my FCPX.

Anyone using it successfully on a mac?

Anyone using Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X6? It has Prodad Mercalli (Prodad's stabilizer) built in, but I'm not sure if it also has Defishr, or perhaps some other lens correction .

Using FCPX:

On this video:
1) I chose my clips and cut them down to size in a roughly edited way
2) "de-fish eyed" them with the free plug-in by Alex4D
3) saved as a master file
4) reimported, cut into the final edit and stabilized the clips that needed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19tR1p8_h7k

So far, my best stabilization has been taking the fisheye out, saving, re-importing and then stabilizing...
Any better ways with FCPX and a Mac?

I saw a demo of PowerDirector's multi-cam feature so I thought i'd download a trial version and see how it compares to Adobe CC and my other editor (PinnacleStudio17).
I'm not going to go into the in's and outs of them all (each has their own pro's and con's) BUT when it comes to value, you can't beat the full version for under £27 - so cheap I didn't even bother with the trial.
Here's the link I used for the full download (and emailed serial) plus use this coupon "SAVE15" to save a further 15% off the amount shown in dollars (which was $49.99 when i typed this).
http://store.hermanstreet.com/pc-softwa ... -16ves&ofm

So far i've found the multi-cam feature to be a real time saver when time (or audio) syncing many clips and then being able to use director cuts on the fly as you watch the selected clips back. That didn't describe it very well so here's a youtube demo clip from Cyberlink themselves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOupBf7EL68

As someone previously posted, the built in image stabilisation is comparable to what ProDad's ProDrenalin can achieve but it can't do the removal of fish-eye. That being said though, i found running the clip through ProDrenalin first and then through PowerDirector at a minimal level gives a really nice result to my 'un-gimballed' video files.

I use ProDrenalin to stablize when necessary, and edit the footage on an Avid. If you are a student or can use a student's ID, you can buy the Academic Avid for $299. It is exactly the same as the $3000 Media Composer.

I used a hacked copy of Powerdirector 11 up until a month ago- I went ahead and drank the kool aid and purchased the Powerdirector 12; as someone who has extremely limited experience in film editing but a metric **** ton in photoshop, I found the learning curve easy as pie- especially with the various online tutorials (check out "video software editing guide" on youtube- Malik is a freak, but he is a good step by step effect instructor)

Cyberlink's product will never compare to truly pro software suites, but it is as close as you can get for far less money.

Oh- and that multi-cam feature is tits on a ritz.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl