Video Editing Software?

Sorry for the peripheral topic to the P3, but what is the most favored video editing software that people use to edit their footage?
I just switched to Davinci Resolve 12, it's free! It does have some limitations on 4K output for h.264 though but you can still output 4K 3840x2160 with other settings.

Anyone use/have experience with DaVinci Resolve Lite? A friend of mine recommended it. It's a free download, supposed to be pretty good.
Yes, I started working with that program. You can apply LUTS. Big learning curve. Need a newer pc with tons of RAM, large monitor(s), good graphics card.

Initially, I started out using Adobe Premiere Elements 13, but as a LOT of users of this software have discovered...and as Adobe has really admitted since it was released in late 2014, while the "front half" (ie. editing) of the program works flawlessly, the "back half" (ie. final output) has some problems. If you're outputting to a video file, you have nothing to worry about. On the other hand, if you're creating an ISO file, even though you get a "completion" message, in reality, it doesn't always create the ISO file. The biggest problem comes if you decide to output to a DVD or Blu-ray, as it almost always fails...and that's if you van even get it to start the burn phase. Out of approximately a dozen tries, it's only successfully burned a single DVD. All the other attempts successfully completed "steps 1 through 5", and appeared to have successfully completed the next step (can't recall at this exact moment what that step is called), but within two seconds of starting the final step - burning the DVD - the drive ejects the blank DVD, and I receive a "fail" notice. I can only assume that the reason it fails is due to the previous step having failed, despite it supposedly having been successful. For a period of three weeks, which ended about 1.5 weeks ago, I had been working with one of their senior program engineers (I live in the Bay Area, and Adobe's home offices are "within walking distance").

The point of the while "tirade" above is this...unless you're interested in using Adobe Premiere Elements 13 ONLY for creating a video file (after editing, obviously), and you have NO interest in creating an ISO file, or burning to DVD/Blu-ray, do NOT get Premiere Elements 13. The problems I've experienced never happened with previous versions, and according to Sandeep (one of the senior programming engineers on the Premiere Elements team), it won't be a problem with the soon-to-be-released version 14 (currently scheduled for an October/November release).

If you're willing to spend a little extra money, I highly recommend PowerDirector 13, as long as you get one of the top versions of it. Alternately, if you're able to find it, I can't recommend anything better than Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 (I'm just staring to learn how to fully utilize it, but knowing the power of Photoshop Pro CS6, I'm already expecting incredible results from Premiere Pro CS6).

Davinci Resolve Lite 12 - best thing you can get these days... Being an editor for the last 10 years I can only recommend it... There is no better.....

Reactions: B- Scene Films
I've gotten good with GoPro Studio, but it does leave some features out that I would really like to have. One biggie would be the ability to track text with items in your video as they move. I'd really like something along those lines that wouldn't have a huge learning curve over GoPro Studio. What recommendations do y'all have?

Davinci Resolve Lite 12 - best thing you can get these days... Being an editor for the last 10 years I can only recommend it... There is no better.....

Except for one thing...version 11 is actually the most recent available. Version 12 is still in Beta, NOT the final release. However, having gone over the specs, and compared it against the Studio version (NOT comparing against the $30K "Advanced Control Surface" version, for obvious reasons), as well as considering my needs/uses, it truly does appear to be an excellent possibility. I may very well add it to my collection, as its ability to import/export from/to the other applications I use could come in handy.

I use Ashampoo movie maker but don't pay full price, download the evaluation version and when it runs out let it cancel and they'll offer you 70% off after a few days

Except for one thing...version 11 is actually the most recent available. Version 12 is still in Beta, NOT the final release.

So what? I am using it on all my projects since Beta 1 now there is Beta 2 and yeah...there were a few very minor issues but nothing to stop ya from editing :)

I was waiting for this release for a very long time cause I use Davinci for color corrections and grading but in v11 the need for exporting AAF projects from other editors to davinci to color it and then back to editing software was such a pain!!! Now I can edit and grade in the same software which is awesome.

Btw v11 had a terribad editor dont even bother trying to use it :D

EDIT: Btw I usually combine cam sources so I use RED files with P3P movs and PROres etc... Davinci is excellent for that. Any option I can recommend other than Davinci is GrassValley EDIUS. :)

I use Vegas Pro 13.
Powerful, yet simple and intuitive.

I've been recording 4k in mov format.
Should I change to mp4?
My Vegas takes 15 minutes to render a 3 minute 4k (ultra HD) clip.
i7 laptop, 16Gb RAM, 4 Gb graphic card, SSD.

Last edited:
I use Vegas Pro 13.
Powerful, yet simple and intuitive.

I've been recording 4k in mov format.
Should I change to mp4?
My Vegas takes 15 minutes to render a 3 minute 4k (ultra HD) clip.
i7 laptop, 16Gb RAM, 4 Gb graphic card, SSD.

Render to what? Depends....render to pro codec such as prores, gw hqx, DNxHD etc shouldnt take so long but render to final h.265 or something like that can take up to 20 times longer depending on multi-pass render and all the features you set for your render...

Can you not buy Adobe Premiere Pro for a one time price? All I see is monthly options. I am not going to pay 50 dollars a month to use a 120 dollar piece of software.

Can you not buy Adobe Premiere Pro for a one time price? All I see is monthly options. I am not going to pay 50 dollars a month to use a 120 dollar piece of software.
Nope, if you want their newest software, you can only "rent" it at exorbitant prices.

Premiere is $20. The whole suite is $50. And I think CS6 is/was closer to $600

There's NO NEED to go with any of Adobe's CC offerings, or to join the "subscription bandwagon"...there ARE several options from Adobe. They recently released Premiere Elements 14, which you can pick up for less than $100, and if you don't mind the "old" (ie. previous) version, you can pick up Premiere Elements 13 for less than $60. Additionally, if you feel you NEED the "full" version, you can still get Premiere Pro CS6 from sellers on eBay, as well as from certain vendors (see the links below for two possibilities, one for Mac & one for Windows):

Mac: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 Mac - For Students and Teachers
Windows: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 Windows - For Students and Teachers

There's NO NEED to go with any of Adobe's CC offerings, or to join the "subscription bandwagon"...there ARE several options from Adobe. They recently released Premiere Elements 14, which you can pick up for less than $100, and if you don't mind the "old" (ie. previous) version, you can pick up Premiere Elements 13 for less than $60. Additionally, if you feel you NEED the "full" version, you can still get Premiere Pro CS6 from sellers on eBay, as well as from certain vendors (see the links below for two possibilities, one for Mac & one for Windows):

Mac: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 Mac - For Students and Teachers
Windows: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 Windows - For Students and Teachers

How does the feature set of Premier Pro CS6 compare to the CC version of the same?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj