Video Editing Software?

Reaction score
I am wondering, what video editing software you guys are using? Outside of using iMovie, I have never gotten into video editing but I'm thinking about taking a class. There is a local production company that offers a short class in Final Cut Pro, and then offer use of their lab (Macs w/ FCP) a few days a week.

I prefer flying over editing things, but seems like with aerial video I am going to need to learn at least the basics in order to produce anything that I'd want to share with my friends.

I use Adobe After Effects (since I use it daily in my gig) but just to stabilize footage, haven't yet edited a video of my Phantom video's tho, as I'm still getting the hang of it.

But I plan to use FPCX when I get around to editing and might try it out as well for stabilization
there's a great free tutorial that will get you going in no time
http://www.izzyvideo.com/final-cut-pro-x-tutorial/

you can pay $37 and download the tutorial footage (but might abel to "locate it" only in the torrents.)

I have been using iMovie but only because I never took the time to learn to use Final Cut. Now that I have the Phantom and a GoPro 3 I will be doing more video so I am putting all my effort into FCP.

FC has a huge learning curve. It took me about 20 hours to go through the Izzy Video tutorials just to learn the mechanics. I did video editing professionally in the video tape days so I knew editing. It has robust features, but you will spend more time learning it and editing rather than flying. Also I found GoPro video needs to be transcoded using something like MPEG Streamclip. Stick with iMovie for simplicity.

Final Cut Pro X seems to have a more iMovie like interface, just from the pictures I've seen. I've never actually used it. We're you referring to X or an earlier version?

Adam said:
Final Cut Pro X seems to have a more iMovie like interface, just from the pictures I've seen. I've never actually used it. We're you referring to X or an earlier version?

FCPX has often been referred to as "iMovie on Steroids", and makes for a good transition for those who are familiar with iMovie but want to take it to the next level.

I'd have to disagree on the learning curve, sure it's more complex/robust than iMovie,
but I only spent a few evenings with the Izzy tutorials and felt I learned quite a bit to get going on basic video editing.
it's without a doubt the future of video editing on the Mac, and priced much more reasonably than Avid and other pro editing apps.

kind of ironic that the demo material they use is that of a Quad copter

I've only editing a few movies from my GoPro Black, but I definitely agree - transcoding the GoPro footage to another codec (AppleProRes perhaps? or even a flavor of h.264 for non-stabalized video), might definitely be the way to go.
My older 8-proc mac kind of choked when working with the 1080 60p GoPro material - even when it resided on a fast SSD drive.

I have an Original GoPro Hero and I've been using Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects, and working great with stabilizing. (CS5.5 or CS6)

In Adobe Premiere you can edit a clip, and make a new sequence, then send that to Adobe AE and it'll make a new Comp and you can add in the Warp Stabilizer Add-on and it helps with shake and jello. I just ordered a prop balancer and looking into getting a Hero3 so that the video will be that much better. I'm liking what its been able to do so far.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/cs-55-product ... ects-cs55/

I recommend Final Cut Pro X if your using MAC. You can purchase iTunes gift cards on the cheap from Best Buy and download the app from the App Store. There are some amazing plugins for GoPro that do HDR processing and Fisheye removal to say the least.
See http://crumplepop.com

Also note that FCP X does do rendering directly to numerous formats including Vimeo, YouTube and more.

That's what I use and I like it.....

Danny :ugeek:

I've been editing video on an iMac for a couple of years a d use Final Cut Pro. However, I produce videos for commercial use on regular occasions so depending on what you are actually doing as to what software I would recommend. Final Cut X is good for consumer use, but not if you want to move into producing video professionally. A friend of mine who does the same work recently moved from FCP to Premiere and gets on better with it. However, he produces 4K stuff so its very much different to GoPro stuff.

As far as the footage goes from a GoPro, I found it drops quite nicely straight into FCP. I have a few problems when the timeline contains footage from a DLSR, but its all good in the end. MPEG Streamclip is brilliant. I use it to convert QuickTime exports from FCP to a mpeg4 for youtube mainly, but if you're using footage from two different cameras, then it's best to convert all the footage into the same format before bringing it into editing.

So, in conclusion. If you are a newbie to editing, then I would stick to iMovie or FCPX for now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers