Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Base Mac Pro

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other, please specify below.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Looking at buying a new Apple desktop for FCP video editing, my five year old 27" iMac just isn't cutting it anymore with 4K editing. I'm kinda stumped on if I should buy a fully spec'd out iMac with all the bells and whistles or an almost base Mac Pro for the same price as the maxed out iMac...

Which way would you go if you were spending $3-4000'ish???

I love my Mac Pro (work) but have never used an iMac. Personally, I'd compare specs and go with the highest specs. The right Mac Pro would be more future proof for 4k editing.

Reactions: Cale262
I bought the new iMac in November with the i7, max graphics and a 512 ssd. It is awesome for 4K with FCPx. I upgraded the RAM myself as it works out cheaper. If you are editing use external fast drives so you aren't using the same drive as your OS.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Cale262 and Ralph M
I think the Mac Pro is very cool, but a 27-inch i7 Retina iMac is an incredible bargain as a 4K editing platform. It would be my choice if I were starting from scratch. Just be sure to get it with an SSD or Fusion Drive, and spend some money on a fast Thunderbolt external drive array.

I've used a MacBook Pro Retina for a few years and am now using my MBP w/16gb RAM & 500GB SSD. It crunches whatever I edit even in 4K. For me, it is a workhorse I can take where ever I go and I travel overseas frequently. I just pack an extra 2TB external drive and I'm good to go! The only problems I've ever had is when my HD space got a little low.

Well I have a nice i7 MacBook Pro which is maxed on the ram side and I currently use while I'm on the go. It works just fine for 4K editing, not the fastest but it chugs along and does the job. I'm not interested in using the MBP in a docking station while I'm home. Hakintosh sounds interesting but I'm not really savy in custom computers, the last outer I built was a super fast 486XT about 25 years ago. Really starting to lean towards the Mac Pro solely because of the upgradability down the road and that it's a turn key system. I like the 27" iMac which will cost a little less initially but once it's not really upgradable once spec'd to a similar base Mac Pro.

Thanks for all the input!

Well I have a nice i7 MacBook Pro which is maxed on the ram side and I currently use while I'm on the go. It works just fine for 4K editing, not the fastest but it chugs along and does the job. I'm not interested in using the MBP in a docking station while I'm home. Hakintosh sounds interesting but I'm not really savy in custom computers, the last outer I built was a super fast 486XT about 25 years ago. Really starting to lean towards the Mac Pro solely because of the upgradability down the road and that it's a turn key system. I like the 27" iMac which will cost a little less initially but once it's not really upgradable once spec'd to a similar base Mac Pro.

Thanks for all the input!
I was going to get a Mac Pro but according to the reviews the i7 iMac 5k with ssd is as fast if not a bit faster than the base Mac Pro for video editing and then you have to factor in getting a good 4K monitor. The Mac Pro could end up being nearly double the cost for no initial benefit. But yes you can upgrade the Mac Pro which is an obvious benefit. If you have the cash why not I suppose [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.