**** Video Editing - HELP!! ****

Reaction score
My computer crashed. I lost 2 drives of photos and videos. I know....Wah Wah Wah..

My son built me a new computer.
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-HD3
128GB SanDisk U Plus SSD
128GB Samsung 840 ProSSD
2-DDR3 16GB 1600MHz DUAL C
EVGA GeForce GTX780Ti SC

Best of e best. I have amassed hours of video already from my new Phantom 2Vision Plus, but cannot get any of the major video editing programs to work! My mainstay for years has been Sony Vegas 10, unfortunately I lost that in the crash so I broke down and bought Sony movie maker 13.

Can not get the program to run ....period...in 32 bit OR 64 bit.

If we have any video editors out here, who might be able to shed some light on this, or maybe good alternative programs???

HELP!!!!

Sorry to hear about your crash (at least it wasn't your Phantom!). I know nothing about the Sony software but imagine there are forums out there. I would recommend looking into Adobe Premiere or Avid Media Composer. Adobe has the "pay as you go" plan with Creative Cloud for $50 to as little as $30/mo. for the first year, so you don't have to drop a ton of money on it right off the bat. I believe both Adobe & Avid offer 30 day free trial-periods as well.

It didn't sound like you had a dedicated external drive for your media, or a back up. I would strongly suggest at least one but honestly you should get both. You can get a 2TB @ Walmart for like $100! 2TB! Good luck.

Try running it in vista compatibility mode, service pack 2 ... Or is it one... (Right click the exe file, select compatibility then select the os)

Two ssd drives... For an editing system? Really? Use one for a boot drive, ditch the other, pickup a pair of external USB 3.0 drives (2tb or more, they are dirt cheap) buy two internal 4tb drives raid them for editing to. The external drives use as your media sources. Never use one drive for source and destination editing. Don't partition your media drives either.

avid rocks, I'm an ACSRWin/Mac(or was for 5years) z, expensive certification to keep up. (Avid Certified Service Rep.)

Have you tried any file recovery utilities?
You should be able to recover at least some of your stuff.

Elginet said:
My computer crashed. I lost 2 drives of photos and videos. I know....Wah Wah Wah..

My son built me a new computer.
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-HD3
128GB SanDisk U Plus SSD
128GB Samsung 840 ProSSD
2-DDR3 16GB 1600MHz DUAL C
EVGA GeForce GTX780Ti SC

Best of e best. I have amassed hours of video already from my new Phantom 2Vision Plus, but cannot get any of the major video editing programs to work! My mainstay for years has been Sony Vegas 10, unfortunately I lost that in the crash so I broke down and bought Sony movie maker 13.

Can not get the program to run ....period...in 32 bit OR 64 bit.

If we have any video editors out here, who might be able to shed some light on this, or maybe good alternative programs???

HELP!!!!

I ran into the same problems with Sony Movie Maker and spent 2 weeks going back and forth with their online support to no avail. I was going to wait until they released a patch because I couldn't have been the only one having a problem. (Program installs fine, freezes on splash startup).

I've been using Adobe Premiere and it works awesome. Pinnacle Studio is also easy to use.

If you want something POWERFUL, but SUPER EASY.....I recommend editing on an iPad using Pinnacle Studio for iPad. If you want to continue to struggle with a PC, enjoy you Super duper PC. :)

You can't edit a half-gig video file on an iPad.

Yes, I had dedicated external drives as well for my photos and videos. One of the SSD drives is just a boot drive. The other was only going to be for Photoshop and Sony Movie Studio. I am an adobe member, and I'll probably end up springing for the CC. I was trying to resist it but I think it's inevitable now.

That said.....the video coming out of my P2V+ is astounding! It's killing me that I can't put it out there!!! DJI Rocks! I just wish they'd have up'd the SD capacity to 64GB, Baby steps I guess, eh? :D

I use Cyberlink's PowerDirector 12 and really like it. It's powerful and easy. Go to www.cyberlink.com and download a free trial version to see if it will work with your new computer. If it does, I think you will be pleased with the product.

I crashed a laptop, was able to pull the two 500gb hard drives, order cases for them from Amazon, and use them as USB drives. I was also able to retrieve all photos and files from them. Worth a try!

UrbanLegend777 said:
I crashed a laptop, was able to pull the two 500gb hard drives, order cases for them from Amazon, and use them as USB drives. I was also able to retrieve all photos and files from them. Worth a try!

That's what I'm doing right now. The drive I backed everything up to is running Recuva from Piriform as I type. It's suppose to recover the folder structure as well as the files. I've used Stellar in the past and it would recover photos with no problem, but when you have 25-50k of them and it randomly numbers them as it recovers em, it's a bit of a pain.

My main drive is FUBAR though. It site there an clicks 2 times....buzzs once and then nothing. That one WAS my C: Drive so that's the one I'm most concerned about.

As far as Video editing.....I can highly recommend Adobe Premiere Pro now. After watching Lynda.com videos for 3 nights, I feel like a semi-pro.

Thanks for all the help too you guys.

RickF said:
I use Cyberlink's PowerDirector 12 and really like it. It's powerful and easy. Go to http://www.cyberlink.com and download a free trial version to see if it will work with your new computer. If it does, I think you will be pleased with the product.

I just got PowerDirector 12; it's very highly rated. But I am completely new to videos and have never used the software. So, this may sound like a stupid question, but would you be willing to list the basic steps, how to get the data from the Vision 2 + camera to the PowerDirector software? Do you connect your pc to the camera and then copy the files from the minicard to your pc? etc

Skydancer said:
RickF said:
I use Cyberlink's PowerDirector 12 and really like it. It's powerful and easy. Go to http://www.cyberlink.com and download a free trial version to see if it will work with your new computer. If it does, I think you will be pleased with the product.

I just got PowerDirector 12; it's very highly rated. But I am completely new to videos and have never used the software. So, this may sound like a stupid question, but would you be willing to list the basic steps, how to get the data from the Vision 2 + camera to the PowerDirector software? Do you connect your pc to the camera and then copy the files from the minicard to your pc? etc

Youtube is your friend. Just do a search on PowerDirector 12 and I'm sure you'll find lots of tutorials.

There is a procedure of hitting a drive on the side just right that sometimes overcomes your HDD issue enough to get the files off it. I've done it, and it worked, I've done it and made it worse... but worth a try. I too watched some videos on youtube for the correct way.

I haven't edited videos in a long time. Decided to upgrade from movie maker to Adobes premier, photoshop elements and lightroom.
I'm interested in the V+ RAW format option. Spent a lot of hours researching. I just wanted something simple, but that looks better than average. Also have some other photo slideshow projects.

Was surprised to find out i had 25 thousand photos in my library. That's not counting movies. For backup i ordered a NAS box.

I feel for you losing your movies/pics. I know some guys that store a HDD backup at a relatives house of their digital media... I doubt I'll ever go that far. But as mentioned in a prior post, a system with at least RAID 1 would be a good idea.

Another crazy thing I have done is leave a drive in the freezer overnight. I've gotten 5-10 min of use out of them before they start to go south again, then it's back in the freezer for another attempt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav