Video editing freelancers

Reaction score
I am potentially interested in having someone edit my videos (Phantom 3 Pro and GoPro) into better looking videos than I have the time or expertise in making myself. This would be mostly taking 30-45 minutes of footage from family vacations and turning it into a 3-5 minute video. It looks like there are a handful of companies and freelancers that will do this, but I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations or experience in having this done. I don't care if it's super professional, just something nice that my family/friends can look back on and enjoy. Don't really want to spend more than $50-$100 per video.

I am planning to retire and do video editing and aerial photography...here is a couple of examples...I can try to do yours...PM me if interested..

A couple friendly recommendations on videos:

• Assume that no one wants to watch your video. This forces you to make your video as short as possible. This increases the likelihood that someone will watch your whole video till the end. Toss away all the outtakes.
  • Don't show the same thing over and over in a video. It gets boring fast and helps with the first bullet. Just pick the one or two best views of your subject and use those, move on to the next scene.
  • Don't change direction or course mid flight in a scene -- it doesn't look professional. Either ascend, descend, strafe, go forwards, backwards, pivot, etc. But don't do more than one at a time if can help it. Otherwise it looks like cheap drone photography.
  • If you are using text overlays, use a readable typeface.

Here are a couple examples that I recorded with my Phantom 2 and 3 and edited. I'm by no way saying I'm a pro. In fact I still think these suck and I've got a lot to learn:

Last edited:
I dont think anyone with even the simplest skill set of editing videos would go through all that work for $50-$100, but you may find some whiz kid to do it. good luck.

I dont think anyone with even the simplest skill set of editing videos would go through all that work for $50-$100, but you may find some whiz kid to do it. good luck.
I agree, anyone who will edit that much footage for that rate will probably do a worse job than you would do yourself. Footage that was not shot professionally with post processing in mind is even harder to edit because so much of the footage will be unusable, come from different camera sources, be recorded in different formats, and probably recorded with different in camera color profiles applied.

Your best bet will be to find some college kid who will practice on anything and will take any work they can get, but just remember you get what you pay for.

Just to chime in and give you a better idea on what you can expect to pay someone to do this. My rates are $65/hr but on average you can expect to pay someone with decent editing skills (think late night local attorney commercials) about $30-$35/hr. With 30-45 minutes of raw footage to go through to pull the selects, creating a rough cut, timing with a music track (and if you don't want a chance of it getting muted on youtube for copyright, add in cost for purchasing a music track), color correction, then adding any kind of titles and or effects you'd like then finish it off with the final render/output format of your choice. You are looking probably about, I would say a minimum of 4 hours if the editor is fast. Probably closer to 6 though. Heres a couple of the projects I've been a part of.

Reactions: Rothgarr

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik