Video down-link and recording issues. (with examples)

Reaction score
In August I crashed my Adv from 15-20 meters resulting in a near total loss of my drone. Filming a trick kite, the kite got the better of me, and sent the drone in a hard tumble down. An arm was broken, the camera broke the gimbal plate, a portion of the chassis flexed in and broke a cap off the main board and more.

After ordering a new frame, battery compartment, indicator light, gimbal plate, and main board, I was able to get everything back together and in the air. I have put about 30 minutes on the pheonix now, but I am noticing odd behavior from the camera.

UPDATE: See here for the current, repeatable and confirmed behavior. Below was an initial assessment, and some things are too much or not applicable any more.

OLD ASSESSMENT
The camera is not responding to commands without varying delay, the image experiences varying delay, and sometimes the camera will stop recording a period of time after starting (usually within a minute or so) and when it does this, sometimes the gimbal will drop (point down) and I have to bring it back up. Further, the video recorded to SD will sometimes contain artifacts. The video downlink also seems to have reduced range, and on my last flight, the video downlink dropped entirely, and I had to fly it in by sight.

When this occurred the gimbal stabilized fine, responded to tilt commands, and registered those on the DJI Go app.

Full disclosure, all of my firmwares are out of date (I am working on that today) and the wider of the cables going to the camera is flipped in it's slot, so it is not as perfect a connection as it can be (I had to twist it a bit to get it in the connector). This is the one that goes into the chassis, so I have put off fixing it as I need to take it apart to do so, and I am wondering first and foremost if there is anything else that could be causing this, or if that is in fact the cable that would present these symptoms...

I am going to update firmwares today, but was wondering if there is anything else people would suggest looking in to.

Thank you for your help. (also, this is my first post, yay)

Last edited:
UPDATE 10/18/16: I have fixed the cable, and all firmwares are up to date. I took a flight this morning, and for most of the first battery I had good results. HOWEVER, around the last 5-7 minutes of the first battery I did notice that the video/remote range was much lower than I had experienced in the past, and I noticed the video delay return (of 5 or so seconds). Then things got worse, for most all of the second battery the drone would take upwards of 15 seconds to respond to record-start/stop, and would randomly stop recording after 10-30 seconds. During this time, the video downlink seemed to be ok, and all controls were responsive (was flying within eye-sight). I did not lose video downlink this time (and, obviously got it back from my last flight).

Any thoughts? :-/

UPDATE 10/19/16: So, I was able to witness the whole thing occur this morning.

With or without the DJI Go app running (indeed, with or without the phone connected at all) the record button on the remote works. Pressing it causes the green light on the camera to begin blinking red (R-R--). If the DJI Go app is running and connected, it may take a few seconds to register the record has begun. After a short period of time (from 10 to 30 seconds) the light will either hold red, or dark, for 7 or so seconds, and then reset to green. When the light holds (on or off) the DJI Go app will show that it is recording (recording button is still in record mode, and the time counter is up) but the counter will not progress past the count it was at when the hold began. When the light goes from hold to green, the DJI Go app will indicate (visually and with sound) a stop record event.

This largely seems to be time dependent or relatively random. This occurred for the entirety of my two batteries this morning. While this is occurring, the video downlink appears to be working fine, although there is a delay (some times) in the feed. Range is also diminished. I do not believe it is a cable issue, as I was not able to trigger a "freeze" by manipulating the gimbal while recording on the ground, that includes manipulating the gimbal gables (not the ribbon cable, but the grey cables that connect to the gimbal base).

I will be taking the camera apart this evening to check all connections and smd components.

I can see that this has received a number of views, but no comments. Really, any feedback would be helpful*... I am kind of shooting in the dark here.

Thanks!

*feedback on how to diagnose and fix the problem sans DJI Care or purchasing a new camera

I have a video that includes the resulting videos when it is exhibiting this behavior, as well as a side-by-side example.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Any and all feedback is appreciated...

Thanks!

So... I am pretty surprised I have not received any feedback on this issue... I have take the camera apart, as well as the VPS module (which also houses the TX/RX and the video down-link). I couldn't see any damage and broken wires. SO... This is still confusing me. Does anyone have any feedback?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31