Video & Camera Settings

Reaction score
Hi everyone;

This thing is baffling me to no end. I tried to follow the instructions in the videos but I get no where unfortunately. I would be most grateful if someone could walk me through the settings for my Phantom 3 Professional video and camera settings as I'm just not getting it. I thought I set them correctly according to one video but as you can see by the *.jpg attachment, I'm not doing it correctly. The video footage comes out all washed out just like the photo did. I'm about ready to pack it in. I've spent days and days trying to get this right but nope, not this year I guess.

At least I was finally able to fly it around the back yard and was trying to get some footage of my Koi pond but the video comes out like the jpg did.

If anyone can help me set up the video and still camera correctly I'd be much obliged to you. Perhaps at 70 years young I'm just too young for these big kids toys. Also, I never ever knew anything about photography except that the "Auto" setting was my friend.

Thank you to anyone that is will to spend a few minutes helping me out with this.

Bud
ps
I don't have a filter because when I was about to order one, Canada Post is about to lock everyone out.

Attachments

• Dji1_800X600.jpg
    Dji1_800X600.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 466
Hi everyone;

This thing is baffling me to no end. I tried to follow the instructions in the videos but I get no where unfortunately. I would be most grateful if someone could walk me through the settings for my Phantom 3 Professional video and camera settings as I'm just not getting it. I thought I set them correctly according to one video but as you can see by the *.jpg attachment, I'm not doing it correctly. The video footage comes out all washed out just like the photo did. I'm about ready to pack it in. I've spent days and days trying to get this right but nope, not this year I guess.

At least I was finally able to fly it around the back yard and was trying to get some footage of my Koi pond but the video comes out like the jpg did.

If anyone can help me set up the video and still camera correctly I'd be much obliged to you. Perhaps at 70 years young I'm just too young for these big kids toys. Also, I never ever knew anything about photography except that the "Auto" setting was my friend.

Thank you to anyone that is will to spend a few minutes helping me out with this.

Bud
ps
I don't have a filter because when I was about to order one, Canada Post is about to lock everyone out.

Was that shot taken in very bright sunlight?

First, I think you need filters. That just looks way overexposed. You can also tinker with manual settings but if you are using auto, you definitely need to put filters on. I have the Polar-Pro set. Excellent product.

It was on Manual and 1600 iso whatever that is.

Bud

First, I think you need filters. That just looks way overexposed. You can also tinker with manual settings but if you are using auto, you definitely need to put filters on. I have the Polar-Pro set. Excellent product.

Also, I never ever knew anything about photography except that the "Auto" setting was my friend.
That photo looks like it was shot with incorrect manual settings. If auto is your friend, why not use auto for now as you slowly learn manual over time? In many cases, auto works well and will give you good results. Manual can be better, but there's a learning curve.

I appreciate the filter advice but I'm not interested in sinking $140. or more dollars into filters that won't do diddly squat for me in the setting up department. I wouldn't know which filter to use or when. I need to figure out how to set this video camera up correctly first I think, then I can wonder about which filters I need.

As I said, I'm not a photographer. All I want to do is fly this thing and get some video that I can see. I'm not making movies or commercials here, just want to have a little fun is all.

Bud

I would suggest these:
DJI PHANTOM 3 CINEMA SERIES - SHUTTER COLLECTION

You don't need filters.
Use the wheel on top right corner to adjust the exposure, watch the EV value on screen - it wants to be on zero more or less.
The wheel is also a button when pressed in, this adjusts between shutter seed and ISO.
In daylight the ISO will usually be best on 100.
In Auto mode it should look after itself but you can still turn that wheel to make the image darker or lighter.

How are you setting your exposures? It's way over exposed.
Start at 100 iso
Are you setting it on auto exposure? Or manual ?
Auto inflow for a newbie to start. But it can be fooled if shooting something primarily darker lighter. Best to set the shutter speed manually- while still on the ground- until you get a good exposure, then fly. Once up in the air and pointing at you subject , roll the right hand finger wheel left to go darker, right for brighter.
1/3 stop for each click.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

On manual on a sunny day you need to be on ISO 100 not 1600. 1600 is for very low light.

And horrible image quality. So grainy as to be almost unusable.

NOW!! We're getting somewhere. Thank you. This is the information that I need so I can operate my Phantom properly.

Should I set anything to AUTO or is there a setting that will work for most days and give somewhat good results. I'm not looking for professional quality photos or video. All I want to do is impress my friends.

Bud

You don't need filters.
Use the wheel on top right corner to adjust the exposure, watch the EV value on screen - it wants to be on zero more or less.
The wheel is also a button when pressed in, this adjusts between shutter seed and ISO.
In daylight the ISO will usually be best on 100.
In Auto mode it should look after itself but you can still turn that wheel to make the image darker or lighter.

I forgot to ask, what is EV and where can I find this on the screen?

Thanks a million.

Bud

NOW!! We're getting somewhere. Thank you. This is the information that I need so I can operate my Phantom properly.

Should I set anything to AUTO or is there a setting that will work for most days and give somewhat good results. I'm not looking for professional quality photos or video. All I want to do is impress my friends.

Bud

EV is Exposure Value, basically the whole range of possible light levels broken down into increments.
1-EV unit is basically 1-F stop. Or full stop via shutter speed. 3-clicks of the wheel honor down changes you exposure by 1 full stop. Which means it either doubles or cuts your exposure in half.
1/60 sec to 1/125th cuts your light in 1/2. You can adjust in 1/3 stop increments
On a bright sunny day Auto exposure most of the time will give decent results. Start there. Then play with it. Take a frame on Auto and then try another 2 clicks up and 2 clicks down & compare.
Auto bracket feature essentially does this for you- but if shooting Raw +Jpg you'll have a 14 sec lag before being able to change anything as it writes to the card.
Why I shoot mostly single these days.

Ok, if it's on manual the shutter is at 60 and the iso is at 100. I have no idea what this means but that's what they're at. I can move the wheel and it increases or decreases the shutter speed. I have no idea where to set it at. I am also doing this indoors in a wheelchair at the moment, as it's a little too hot for outside right now.. I don't get around too well.

I don't understand "but it can be fooled is shooting something primarily darker or lighter." What should the shutter speed be at, and how and when do I know what number to set it at with the wheel?

Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Bud

How are you setting your exposures? It's way over exposed.
Start at 100 iso
Are you setting it on auto exposure? Or manual ?
Auto inflow for a newbie to start. But it can be fooled if shooting something primarily darker lighter. Best to set the shutter speed manually- while still on the ground- until you get a good exposure, then fly. Once up in the air and pointing at you subject , roll the right hand finger wheel left to go darker, right for brighter.
1/3 stop for each click.

Reactions: Ninogiva
Your shutter speed and iso should display on screen upper right while shooting. And it also will show if you are over or under what the meter thinks is correct.
In your settings (in car now can't look exactly where in menu) there is a pref to show the Histogram on the screen. This is enormously helpful in setting a good exposure. Keep the mound of the histogram basically in the middle. Expose pally keep of from hitting the right side- which means blown highlights with no detail to recover - like your frame in the orig post.
Shoot.

Ok, if it's on manual the shutter is at 60 and the iso is at 100. I have no idea what this means but that's what they're at. I can move the wheel and it increases or decreases the shutter speed. I have no idea where to set it at. I am also doing this indoors in a wheelchair at the moment, as it's a little too hot for outside right now.. I don't get around too well.

I don't understand "but it can be fooled is shooting something primarily darker or lighter." What should the shutter speed be at, and how and when do I know what number to set it at with the wheel?

Bud
Your shutter speed and iso should display on screen upper right while shooting. And it also will show if you are over or under what the meter thinks is correct.
In your settings (in car now can't look exactly where in menu) there is a pref to shot the Histogram on the screen. This is enormously helpful in setting a good exposure. Keep the mound of the histogram basically in the middle. Expose pally keep of from hitting the right side- which means blown highlights with no detail to recover - like your frame in the orig post.
Shoot.
In your settings (in car now can't look exactly where in menu) there is a pref to show the Histogram on the screen. This is enormously helpful in setting a good exposure. Keep the mound of the histogram basically in the middle. Expose pally keep of from hitting the right side- which means blown highlights with no detail to recover - like your frame in the orig post.
Shoot.
Thank you, and I found that EV thing. I'm sorry but I have no idea how to read a histogram or what a mound is.

I think I'll just set it on auto and go from there. If that doesn't work, then somebody's going to be happy with a real cheap Phantom 3 Professional.

I had no idea this was a flying camera when I bought it. I just wanted a drone that could take video. I had no ide of the complexity of this thing. Like I said, I understand nothing about photography, NOTHING!! All this EV, iso, exposure, f-stops and shutter speeds mean absolutely nothing to me.

Can I just put it on auto and get video that I can see on a TV screen? That's all I want to do.

Thanks so much for trying though, you guys are really great, and very patient.

Bud

Shoot.

When I set the video on MANUAL the iso says 400. How do I lower it to 100 and what shutter speed do I need at 100 iso? The EV won't go any lower than -3.0

Bud

Bud

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik