Video and FPV for Phantom 2

Guys - when I run my Hero3+ out the IOSD + AVL58, I am getting extra "STUFF" on my OSD: Battery level of my gopro (don't care) type of filming: 1080P 60fps and a few other things.. How do I turn this off on my Gopro so it is not displaying any more on the OSD?

Thanks

Matt

PS - 1st flight with FPS was excellent. I'm using 8in Koolerton and did a great job handling static. Really nice in BRIGHT SUN LIGHT too. very good image quality.
http://www.amazon.com/Koolertron-Monito ... roduct_top

Ravecreative said:
Nope. But I do want to.
I always film at 1080 at 60fps
I find it's nice to slow the pans down if they are too fast, it works really well.
Yeah, at my day job we shoot everything in 720/60p for the same reason. We standardized on 720 to save storage space and keep the work files a bit more manageable. But, I'm thinking for my "outside work", I may settle on 1080/60p for the aerial stuff, but I'm still interested to see how 2.7K looks.

bellumgessi said:
Guys - when I run my Hero3+ out the IOSD + AVL58, I am getting extra "STUFF" on my OSD: Battery level of my gopro (don't care) type of filming: 1080P 60fps and a few other things.. How do I turn this off on my Gopro so it is not displaying any more on the OSD?

Thanks

Matt

PS - 1st flight with FPS was excellent. I'm using 8in Koolerton and did a great job handling static. Really nice in BRIGHT SUN LIGHT too. very good image quality.
http://www.amazon.com/Koolertron-Monito ... roduct_top
Go into your Settings menu on the GoPro and look for the OSD option. According to the manual (Pg.44), you should be able to switch off all the on screen icons during shooting and playback. I haven't tried this myself, but it looks like that should kill them.

Ravecreative said:
Yeh. I had that problem too

You have to turn the osd off on the gopro menu on the camera.

@droneranger what is your day job?
I'm a Park Ranger with the National Park Service, specifically Channel Islands National Park http://www.nps.gov/chis/index.htm

But I really spend all my time handling all the AV, photo and multimedia chores at the park. You'll see that we have an extensive multimedia section on our website because we're an island park (unlike Yosemite or the Grand Canyon for instance) and it is difficult for some of our visitors to make the boat trip out there. We do everything from high end cinema-grade productions like our main park film, "Treasure in the Sea", to quick and dirty videotaping of public lecture series and event videos. Soup to nuts filmmaking really.

Before I became a ranger, I used to work in the commercial film industry in LA and then I ran the motion picture department for a major aerospace manufacturer for a little over a decade.

Ravecreative said:
Wow

Sounds amazing.
Thanks, I love it. If you ever make your way out here to SoCal, I'd be pleased to give you the "cook's tour", Ravecreative.

BTW, I'm trying to get our folks interested in shooting aerial footage during our park projects by showing them just how cost effective these little RC birds can be and what great footage they can produce. I mean, it can't hold up to a LongRanger running a Wescam ball with a Red Epic in it, but it also doesn't cost thousands of dollars an hour to lease. And you can backpack the thing in. Try that with a full size helo! :lol:

Ravecreative said:
With access to scenery like that, I can't wait to see some of your footage.
Absolutely.....you can see some examples of the aerial footage that was shot with the LongRanger in our park film, but I'm certainly looking forward to trying it out with the P2.

I just got the Zenmuse bolted on and setup. So far, so good. It looks like everything works. There is a lot of lash in the lever controller for the tilt function and with such a small control range with that lever, it looks like its going to be difficult to get a smooth tilt action. Might need to be modified.

BTW, I meant to ask, what is your "day job"?

droneranger said:
Ravecreative said:
Wow

Sounds amazing.
Thanks, I love it. If you ever make your way out here to SoCal, I'd be pleased to give you the "cook's tour", Ravecreative.

BTW, I'm trying to get our folks interested in shooting aerial footage during our park projects by showing them just how cost effective these little RC birds can be and what great footage they can produce. I mean, it can't hold up to a LongRanger running a Wescam ball with a Red Epic in it, but it also doesn't cost thousands of dollars an hour to lease. And you can backpack the thing in. Try that with a full size helo! :lol:

Sounds absolutely awesome. I am always amazed at how technology influences our lives in ways we never imaged. Just reading your comments Droneranger and watching a few of the videos from your site I see how a hobby to some of us, could in effect help protect a national treasure by helping all of us see it in a way that wasn't (financially) possible before. I wish you good luck and hope you get lots of air time!

Regards

B

bellumgessi said:
droneranger said:
Ravecreative said:
Wow

Sounds amazing.

Sounds absolutely awesome. I am always amazed at how technology influences our lives in ways we never imaged. Just reading your comments Droneranger and watching a few of the videos from your site I see how a hobby to some of us, could in effect help protect a national treasure by helping all of us see it in a way that wasn't (financially) possible before. I wish you good luck and hope you get lots of air time!

Regards

B
Thank you so much bellumgessi! It certainly is fascinating how technology can benefit us in ways that one never imagined. As I'm sure you're aware, technology is also a double-edged sword that is neither inherently good nor bad, but is either beneficial or not depending on how it is used and by whom.

Of course, one of our mandates in the Park Service is not only to protect the resource, but to also preserve it for the public benefit, use, and enjoyment. We also try not to miss an interpretive or teaching opportunity whenever possible. This new affordable aerial platform is just one facet of the technology we can employ in this regard. We also conduct live, interactive programming from the islands both underwater from the kelp forest and terrestrially on the island itself and present these programs to various schools and other public venues, in addition to on the web and to our headquarters auditorium in Ventura, CA.

Without technology, none of this would be possible and far fewer people would be aware of the tremendous adventure and landscape that waits just offshore from one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas on the planet.

Ravecreative said:
With access to scenery like that, I can't wait to see some of your footage.
Well, I won't be looking at any of that from the air, at least not for a while......

Just installed the gimbal on the P2 and everything seemed fine at first. Testing checked out/pitch was OK. Tried to test fly it and the gimbal just flopped there as if it didn't get power. But the GoPro was charging. I tried rebooting the aircraft, removing the battery, but nothing worked. I hooked back up to the P2 assistant software and saw that the gimbal was OFF. I turned it ON and it responded. But now it still intermittently does not power up when turning on the aircraft. It even tried to hammer the GoPro to death a couple of times by spontaneously rolling back and forth to its limit stops at high speed like a crazed woodpecker. Have you heard of this behavior before?

It is dead every time I switch on the P2 until I plug in the USB cable and run the Assistant software. Then it eventually powers up and balances. But even then, sometimes it goes wild, slapping back and forth very fast and hitting its limit stops. Then it goes limp again, but sometimes starts balancing way out of trim.

When looking at the software, everything seems normal; all the indicators respond as expected to control input when I move the switches and sticks on the RC (including the tilt control), so the control board in the quad is seeing the transmitter's signals. However, other than the charging light on the GoPro, the gimbal just hangs there with the motors off. Any ideas?

weird

have you had a look at all the pins where the cable connects to the gimbal, or are any of the grey wires trapped?
also, pop off the lid and see if its plugged in correctly, and are any of the gopro connections bent or damaged?
and lastly, have a look inside the tx and see if theres any signs of dry joints on the potentiometer

apart from that, its gotta be a return i would think

(is it a gopro 3+?)

Oh yeh my day job...
I run a creative company called Rave Creative, hence the name :)
basically, everything from design, branding, ID to web, apps, printing, etc and everything in between.
It's pretty cool actually, I get to play with all the toys i want and pretend its work - LOL

oh yeh... what frequency is the gimbal set to, maybe it's too high for the servo motors - try clicking on the defaults button on the assistant software.

Ravecreative said:
oh yeh... what frequency is the gimbal set to, maybe it's too high for the servo motors - try clicking on the defaults button on the assistant software.
It came with the default set to 200Hz. Yes, it is a GoPro 3+ Black. I don't think that it is a mechanical or electrical connection issue, because I can sometimes get the thing to respond just by starting up the Assistant software. All pins and cables look OK.

Ravecreative--I used your JPGs and diagrams a couple of days ago and wanted to thank you for taking the time to do all that. It made my fear of the soldering iron more minimized as I knew I was actually soldering the correct wires together!

I meant to only say thanks, but it created a couple questions:

I've only gotten a couple flights in with my P2 (+ gimbal, AVL58 w/cloverleaf, and mini iOSD with 2.4G data link ready to install used with Flysight Black Pearl 5.8GHz 7" HD monitor with one clover leaf from DJI receive, and one whip style antenna that came with the monitor). I have about 50 flights with my P2V. Overall I get better long distance (4000 feet+) video with the P2 FPV but have issues even when relatively close with copter at certain angles. Especially coming towards me with the clover leaf pointed away from me (I installed mine like your pointed to the back).

1. Do any of you think I would get better/more-consistent reception with the cloverleaf pointed down? How is your reception when the nose is pointed toward you Ravecreative?

2. Would anyone suggest a different antenna config for me? That is the DJI cloverleaf on my AVL58 transmitter and one DJI receive antenna and one stock whip antenna on my Flysight Blackpearl 5.8ghz HD monitor/receiver?

I wonder, does the gimbal run without the go pro attached? - if it does, maybe you could run it like that and see if the gimbal malfunctions, or runs ok - thus at least ruling out the camera

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20