Very Unstable in Flight

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to posting but have been following for a while. I took up my P2V for the 3rd time and experienced what you see in the attached. Not sure if it was turbulence or something haywire with the bird. It straightened itself out and I was able to land with no problems. Thoughts?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks like normal function of the craft to keep its position. Look at settings and see if you have FPV turned on. If it is then the gimbel,was locked and what the craft does is what you get in the video. At that altitude, looked to be over 400 ft high the winds and sheer can reach 25 + mph. The craft looked pretty stable in it location. I could be wrong but check out the FPV.

Yes, I was a bit higher than 400'. Was a nice day with a slight breeze. FPV was fine. As the slop started it then started descending, in quick fashion. I did release throttle until it straightened out. As I said this was my 3rd flight with this bird. Have another one and never experienced this. Could very well have been turbulence

I was also thinking VRS. Cap: VRS, Vortex Ring State, happens when the rotors move through their own prop wash. They essentially lose lift and the craft can become unstable. If it becomes unstable enough, it will come crashing down. The prevention is lateral movement while descending. I haven't found direction to be important as long as it is moving. I am getting better at descending in a circular motion (Yaw+Down+ Forward). to prevent it.

Last edited:
These birds have been engineered with a slow rate of decent to almost prevent any VRS. Can happen on rare occasions when all conditions are right such as wind, temperature, airflow and any down drafts combined to meet the conditions. Rapid decent into your prop wash where the air has not had time to recover cause VRS. Slow decent gives the air time to recover under the props so there is no dead space so to speak. Control is then maintained.

I have the prop guards on this Bird, wonder if they may have helped cause the problem given the fact it was down draft/wind etc? Have been up 3 times since then with no problem. However have only been up to 250'

RoyVa is correct, if you come down real slow, you should have no problems. One of my early flights I cam straight down from 400' did it at full down. I think the thing that kept me out of trouble was that it was a bit windy. Other times I have had the severce ossilations that I attribute to VRS. I now try to keep some lateral movement now whenever I descend.

Unless you are flying near trees or buildings, I would take the prop guards off. They make VRS a lot worse. If it happens again, release the throttle and push gently forward on the right hand stick to try to power out of the prop wash.

UPDATE. I took one additional flight at the same height and had no problems, could very well have been turbulence that day.... I still have the prop guards on as I get a little better with my landings

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers