Very strange RTH incident this morning

Reaction score
Alot of mornings before work I slip off and do a little early morning flying with my vision plus. Today at about 06:30 I took it up to an altitude of 600' and away I went, it got right at 3600' away and lost control signal but still had intermittent FPV, it started to yaw and I thought it was heading home, NOT , it set in the same spot spinning until I lost FPV. I then waited patiently and no sign of the bird, I jumped in the vehicle and went to where I last seen it spinning, got there and no sign of it anywhere so I drove back to where I launched from (rather depressed) and there it sat, man was I relieved. needless to say I am now looking to add a tracking device of some sort. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Had 7 on Sat count when it lost FPV. For awhile I was wishing it was all a bad dream.

It could of lost satellite lock then got it back and returned home.

I flew over an industrial factory, I wondered if it maybe was something from that? But the loss of GPS sounds more likely.I did watch the video from the flight, it must have spun 100 times and then stopped spinning and headed for home and landed without incident about 6' from take off location.

Losing gps should not make it spin though, maybe interference from the factory? Next time you are that way look for any mobile masts or maybe an electric substation that could of caused it.
I would also plug the quad into the rc assistant just to check everything is okay.

VINITA said:
Had 7 on Sat count when it lost FPV. For awhile I was wishing it was all a bad dream.

You are braver than me..... 600' up and 3,600' out with only 7 Sats is treading on thin ice. I always fly in close proximity whenever I have marginal Sat coverage (8 or less). I believe that sudden loss of Sat coverage when flying out of visual range is one of the biggest challenges Phantom pilots can face, if you are not ready for it. You might have had a situation where you were dropping below 6 and back above very quickly confusing the bird, which was already trying to go home due to the lost connection with the Tx. I know you say you saw that you had 7 Sats, but I have personally seen mine go from 7 down to 5 and back very quickly and vice versa. In the heat of the moment sometimes looking at the Sat count isn't on the top of your mind.

For what it is worth, my limited experience suggest that for any flights outside of visual range, make sure you have plenty of Sat coverage. Of course, knowing how to fly in ATTI mode and the effects of wind at high altitudes is a good idea too.

Glad it all ended well for you. Driving back and seeing it sitting there at the home point had to feel pretty good.

Beaugolfs said:
You are braver than me..... 600' up and 3,600' out with only 7 Sats is treading on thin ice.

For me too.

At 600' only seven is poor coverage.

For a gps tracker may I suggest UAV tracker by Drone Mods. never fly one without it. http://www.drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods-UA ... -DM005.htm

Features:
* Standalone device powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion 1300 mAh battery that will last up to 12 days
* Compact and lightweight; the device measures 2.6" L x 1.45" W x .75" H (67mm x 37mm x 20mm) and weighs only 56 grams
* Two low-cost service plan options to keep your device activated, only $5/month
* Carrier agnostic. Not forced to rely on a single carrier's network. Triangulates position using all available networks in the area.
* Includes a specialized SIM card that utilizes network hopping to ensure GPS coordinates can be retrieved 99% of the time, even in rural or densely populated areas
* U.S. based phone number
* SOS button for sending GPS coordinates on-demand. Useful if someone else finds your UAV before you do.
* Uses high sensitivity GPS and assisted GPS and operates on the GPRS/GSM network; accuracy range of 3 ft. to 150 ft.
* Thoroughly beta tested by volunteers on a number of popular UAV's; AR.Drone 1/2, RC Eye 450, DJI Phantom 1/2, DJI Phantom Vision/Vision+, DJI F450, DJI S1000
* Will not interfere with your UAV's onboard GPS systems
* Crash proof, non-magnetic, water resistant case
* 1-year manufacturer's warranty
* FCC and CE certified device; RoHS compliant

yes, I must say I've learned a valuable lesson. And to boot I have a new UAV tracker by Drone Mods on its way. From now on I will have 9 or more before I venture off too far. Thanks guys for the advice and recommendation.

I would consider the GPS foil mod, too. I think Beaugolfs is right. Sounds like it was rapidly switching between GPS and ATTI mode. If you were going fast I can see this causing a control issue. This mod was easy and really worked for me.

Improve GPS signal on Phantom 2 Vision+: http://youtu.be/q31s6NDFUlA

FLPTFLYER said:
For a gps tracker may I suggest UAV tracker by Drone Mods. never fly one without it. http://www.drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods-UA ... -DM005.htm

Features:
* Standalone device powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion 1300 mAh battery that will last up to 12 days
* Compact and lightweight; the device measures 2.6" L x 1.45" W x .75" H (67mm x 37mm x 20mm) and weighs only 56 grams
* Two low-cost service plan options to keep your device activated, only $5/month
* Carrier agnostic. Not forced to rely on a single carrier's network. Triangulates position using all available networks in the area.
* Includes a specialized SIM card that utilizes network hopping to ensure GPS coordinates can be retrieved 99% of the time, even in rural or densely populated areas
* U.S. based phone number
* SOS button for sending GPS coordinates on-demand. Useful if someone else finds your UAV before you do.
* Uses high sensitivity GPS and assisted GPS and operates on the GPRS/GSM network; accuracy range of 3 ft. to 150 ft.
* Thoroughly beta tested by volunteers on a number of popular UAV's; AR.Drone 1/2, RC Eye 450, DJI Phantom 1/2, DJI Phantom Vision/Vision+, DJI F450, DJI S1000
* Will not interfere with your UAV's onboard GPS systems
* Crash proof, non-magnetic, water resistant case
* 1-year manufacturer's warranty
* FCC and CE certified device; RoHS compliant
I like this thing. It's a bit expensive, but between this, Tagg, and MarcoPolo - this seems like the most elegant option

I am flying my first flight just today but I ordered one myself. I am real curious what kind of delievery time they have, does anyone know or have experience ???
It would be neat if they emailed your new ph. # to you and you could track it on it's way to you,...... That would beat the crap of all the parcel services tracking systems

VINITA said:
Alot of mornings before work I slip off and do a little early morning flying with my vision plus. Today at about 06:30 I took it up to an altitude of 600' and away I went, it got right at 3600' away and lost control signal but still had intermittent FPV, it started to yaw and I thought it was heading home, NOT , it set in the same spot spinning until I lost FPV. I then waited patiently and no sign of the bird, I jumped in the vehicle and went to where I last seen it spinning, got there and no sign of it anywhere so I drove back to where I launched from (rather depressed) and there it sat, man was I relieved. needless to say I am now looking to add a tracking device of some sort. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Vinta,

It sounds like your Phantom basically got jammed by something on the same frequency.

Watch this video. Pay close attention around the 4:30 mark.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bxjL7wFyb8[/youtube]

Hmmm... nice. 56 grams is 1.9753 ounce.
I was pondering to connect the guts of smart phone in it with GPS tracking app. :) But this does sound much more convenient.

Have you had to use it yet?

kxkraze, thanks for sharing that video, that sure does sound like what happened. As I think about the video I watched after the incident, it was about ten seconds of spinning before it stopped and came home. Needless to say, that particular area has seen my phantom for the last time. Thanks for you input.

I'm wondering if your FPV was giving you choppy, delayed, boogered video that made you only THINK that she wasn't RTH as normal.

As for tracking, I am loving the Flytrex Live. Before, I was using a Tagg pet tracker and a Flytrex Core 2. The Flytrex Live does what BOTH of the other devices do.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie