Very Strange Flyaway....

Reaction score
Well, it finally happened...

Finished a new mini panel antenna last night and wanted to do a routine hover test out in my driveway as I always do. Acquired my sats, did the calibration, all is good....launch....

The plus flew straight up in the air to about 60 ft and took off to the west....what a helpless feeling. I turned off the TX in hopes of an RTH and ran to my backyard...there I saw her heading back!!! I turned on the TX but no control, however she slowed down and did a proper RTH landing into my neighbor's tree, I ran over to the tree as much as I could, reopened the vision app, saw I had TX and RX no problem, but all I could see were vines and flashing lights...

My neighbor's house is a foreclosure and their backyard is a jungle. the bird is nestled sideways up about 20 feet but I can't get within 15 ft of the treetrunk!!!! I need DB's chainsaw.... :mrgreen:

I tried to reach it with PVC pipe but it's not manageable past 20' or so, very heavy and floppy, thinking maybe conduit?????

Well, the bird id alive and well!!! 1 chipped prop and lots of tree sap but she fired right up and the camera is level and working just fine.....Girlfriend ( a very determined red head) climbed the tree!!!!!!

2014-11-11_Tree-arrow_zpse995c636.png

Tarzan-ess_zps308e2d7f.jpg

Recovery11-11-14_zpsfed52db0.jpg

Glad you got it down, but I'm still more curious as to the cause of the flyaway. Did you check your sats when she started flying west? Did you try ATTI mode before you went into RTH (Return To Hunan) mode?
This sounds like you lost your sats and it drifted in ATTI mode. Doing a RTH in ATTI mode, your bird will come straight down wherever it is, drifting if there's any wind. This is why you should practice in ATTI mode whenever possible.
BTW I wouldn't consider landing in a tree a "proper RTH landing". :?

Did the quad take off due to wind, or was it as though it was set to fly off by its own power?

flyNfrank said:
Did the quad take off due to wind, or was it as though it was set to fly off by its own power?

Frank, the bird took off like a rocket....straight up to 60ft and then flew itself west about 500 yards or so very quickly. I had no controls at all after launch...and I've never heard nor read another fly away like this...very, very strange...what do you think? Sats lost and reacquired? I think I may have changed my home point by turning the TX back on.....not too sure about that....

EDIT: BTW, for the record I'm still flying on 3.0...

mede8er said:
I think I may have changed my home point by turning the TX back on.....not too sure about that....
How do you think turning on the Tx reset your home point?
It sounds pretty unlikely and I can't imagine how it could do that.

Meta4 said:
mede8er said:
I think I may have changed my home point by turning the TX back on.....not too sure about that....
How do you think turning on the Tx reset your home point?
It sounds pretty unlikely and I can't imagine how it could do that.

Just thinking out loud.....

DBS said:
You would have to flip the S2 switch up and down rapidly to reset home point... probly not the culprit

Chalk this one up to a good old fashioned DJI brain cramp in the FC ... just my guess
Yep, and I never touched that switch, just turned the remote off, and back on to see if I could regain LOS control...but it's strange that when I flicked the TX back on, didn't get control, and flicked it back off again it went to hover and then slow descent....

the flying up 60 feet indicates a RTH was initiated, but it was thinking your home point was some 500 yards away...

this is definitely due to a gps and/or compass issue ..

did you see the # of satellites as it was flying away? Is your phone on HIGH GPS ACCURACY?

Tried to replicate conditions last night (without props... :mrgreen: )...acquired sats and never dropped below 9 on the ground, which is the usual number from my front yard....

Guess I'll never know....

mede8er said:
Tried to replicate conditions last night (without props... :mrgreen: )...acquired sats and never dropped below 9 on the ground, which is the usual number from my front yard....

Guess I'll never know....[/quoteGirlfriend is definitely a wonder women and a keeper. I had a similar incident but mine crashed in a tree in my yard 74 feet up. I still don't know what happened and haven't flown it since, the few times I tried testing hovering, tethered as I can't walk and didn't want it getting away again, it seems to want to take off towards the right and the tether holds it so it ends up on its side on the ground.
At one point I cut a total of six inches off the broken props and made them all the same size so I could then check out the motors and hear them when I tried different maneuvers which all seemed to work good as they could be heard speeding up two at a time to go forward, different motors to turn left or right would change speed until I pulled the stick and it started to lift off with those short props, I was inside so it couldn't get away and the slow lift because of the shortened props allowed me to reach over and grab it so it didn't get over a foot or so. That was the last time I tried testing and it's been months since.

I have the latest OS, Yosemite whichhas given me problems and it seems to be doing strange things with posts here.

mede8er said:

Guess I'll never know....

I had a similar experience and DJI replaced one of my motors. Not sure that was the cause but you might want to look at them.
RB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers