Very Odd Artifacts

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this annoyance?
I never really bothered to review the GO app videos but a coupe of days ago, before I cleared out the cache, I thought I'd have a look at them. I noticed that all the recorded 720 videos from the GO app are suffering, more or less, from this, ahem, "special effect" of these horizontal scanning lines. I flew yesterday with my full Hoodman hood kit and it does appear on the live view too. I've racked my brain as to what could be causing this but obviously I'd like to stop it! I've never noticed this on the 720 uploads from the app by other pilots on YouTube or this forum.
Any help/thoughts/fixes gratefully received!
Cheers... Rob

Last edited:
I do not see anything unusual. It looks normal to me. This is the video stored on the tablet/phone right? It is not going to be of the same quality that is stored on the SD card. it is 720, but a really low frame rate and definitely not HD. It is for reviewing, not really for editing. You do not see them from other users because no one shares the cached version from their tablet, they share the HD version from the SD card.

I do not see any horizontal scanning lines. Viewing it on my laptop. If you do see lines, maybe it is an issue with your tablet/phone that you are viewing it on.

I do not see any horizontal scanning lines. Viewing it on my laptop. If you do see lines, maybe it is an issue with your tablet/phone that you are viewing it on.
You really cannot see the thick, deep horizontal scanning bands, right across the picture, moving quickly down the picture in the first 5 seconds or so?
Yeah, I too thought it could be my iPad Air, but I've tried this on both my iPads, an iMac, a PC, a Dell HD laptop, via a USB stick on a Samsung HD and UHD TV and through Apple TV - they all display the same banding. Going back through all the app videos and they all display this. The full HD recordings are all fine. One point; does anyone know if the settings on the live download are fixed, regardless of the recording settings?

Last edited:
You really cannot see the thick, deep horizontal scanning bands, right across the picture, moving quickly down the picture in the first 5 seconds or so?
Yeah, I too thought it could be my iPad Air, but I've tried this on both my iPads, an iMac, a PC, a Dell HD laptop, via a USB stick on a Samsung HD and UHD TV and through Apple TV - they all display the same banding. Going back through all the app videos and they all display this. The full HD recordings are all fine. One point; does anyone know if the settings on the live download are fixed, regardless of the recording settings?
Nope. I just watched it on my phone and still do not see any dark lines.
But like I said. What you are talking about, the cached version on your tablet, is going to be horrible quality. It's a low resolution version. Check the file size of that video and you will see what I'm talking about. It is a small file size. Compared to the size of the file on the SD card.
Again. It is supposed to be this way.
I see no dark lines or bands, it must be on your device.

I agree with HWCM, looks like cached video. Nothing unusual..

I see the bands sweeping downward across the frame as you indicated, but I agree that the downlink video is really just for reference and could suffer from RF interference.

Reactions: Numone
Yeah, I too thought it could be my iPad Air, but I've tried this on both my iPads, an iMac, a PC, a Dell HD laptop, via a USB stick on a Samsung HD and UHD TV and through Apple TV - they all display the same banding. Going back through all the app videos and they all display this. The full HD recordings are all fine.
Rob - I also very clearly see the banding and it would bother me if I saw that in my FPV as you noted you do. I watched your video on an old computer monitor, so nothing special really and it was still obvious to me. The banding is very pronounced during the first ~5-6 seconds of your video, but then it goes away until about the 11 second mark where it looks like it will start up again but the video ends there.
At first I thought it might be prop shadows since it went away as you panned to the left, but you noted the SD card videos are fine so it's not shadows.

One point; does anyone know if the settings on the live download are fixed, regardless of the recording settings?
As far as I know, the only setting you can adjust for the downlink is the bitrate but it only changes for the P3P up to a max of ~10Mb/s.
On the P3A, even when that setting is adjusted higher it still has a max of only ~2Mb/s.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and Numone
I see the bands sweeping downward across the frame as you indicated, but I agree that the downlink video is really just for reference and could suffer from RF interference.
Phew, thanks drm; I was beginning to think I was seeing things! Of course, I totally agree with everyone that these are just live view references, but I'd still like to know what causing the problem. I suspect it isn't local RF interference as its affected all videos which have been taken 10's, 100's or 1,000's miles apart.

Rob - I also very clearly see the banding and it would bother me if I saw that in my FPV as you noted you do. I watched your video on an old computer monitor, so nothing special really and it was still obvious to me. The banding is very pronounced during the first ~5-6 seconds of your video, but then it goes away until about the 11 second mark where it looks like it will start up again but the video ends there.
At first I thought it might be prop shadows since it went away as you panned to the left, but you noted the SD card videos are fine so it's not shadows.

As far as I know, the only setting you can adjust for the downlink is the bitrate but it only changes for the P3P up to a max of ~10Mb/s.
On the P3A, even when that setting is adjusted higher it still has a max of only ~2Mb/s.

Thanks Oso. As I said to drm, I was beginning to think I was going nuts. He was good enough to take a look at his GO videos and most of his he viewed also have the same banding.
Have you seen this phenomena on any of your GO app videos? I'm going to do some ground tests to see if proximity is a factor and also see if Litchi has the same issues. I also wonder if it's an iOS trait too. Given these are used for fast uploads - and the latest GO version had a major overhaul of the editing part of the app - seems odd that the quality isn't better.

The quality is at what it should be. Again...this is what is cached on your device. It is not meant or designed to be of any better quality. You are chasing your tail.[emoji6]

Reactions: Pharm
The lines, are the propeller's shadow. I'm sure they're on the original video too (the sd card one), just that the low res of the preview make them appear more visible.

The lines, are the propeller's shadow. I'm sure they're on the original video too (the sd card one), just that the low res of the preview make them appear more visible.

Thanks for your view, but I'm afraid they're not. As I've already said, there is no sign of the banding on the full HD files from the SD card.

OK, so I did a test with Litchi and here is the result. Substantially better quality - you can set this to true 720p - and much lower level of banding. So I wonder what I'm doing wrong with GO? Ideas anyone?

Point your camera down a little. You are getting the shadows from the props in frame. It is normal. Although I still can barely see anything.
I can reproduce this on mine if I fly in bright sunlight and don't have the camera facing slightly down. It happens to everyone.

Point your camera down a little. You are getting the shadows from the props in frame. It is normal. Although I still can barely see anything.
I can reproduce this on mine if I fly in bright sunlight and don't have the camera facing slightly down. It happens to everyone.
Nope, sorry, it's not prop shadows - I have video from the camera pointed directly down and the banding is still there. Further, as you can see, it was overcast, not sunny.
The other point is that the quality of the Litchi video is so dramatically better than the GO app which, I agree, is absolutely appalling.

Nope, sorry, it's not prop shadows - I have video from the camera pointed directly down and the banding is still there. Further, as you can see, it was overcast, not sunny.
The other point is that the quality of the Litchi video is so dramatically better than the GO app which, I agree, is absolutely appalling.
Try changing your frame rate. The app has nothing to do with what is recorded on the SD card in the Phantom.

Okay, well a few people here have told you what the issue is, the low resolution video from the tablet and the prop shadows, but you keep denying any ones input. So why ask? We know what it is, we have told you, but your answer is always "Nope". So you tell us what it is. Again, if you do not want to know what the issue is, what ask?
Good luck. We tried to help.

How could it be prop shadows if the video to the sd card doesn't show the issue?

And low resolution of image doesn't imply banding is more likely.

I'm with the OP. Question not answered.

Interesting to note Litchi doesn't show the banding. Could be time for me to start using Litchi.

Reactions: Numone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl