Very nice crash that destroyed my phantom 3 pro

Reaction score
Well... I just crashed my p3p, it does flyaway and hit a building...
Anyone can tell what happens?
Another day it flyaway but i manage to recover because no building in front...
now a building interfere and it crashed hard...at 60mph
Id take off where no metals and nothing to interfere on the compass..
Started to rise to the sky and then the devil come inside and as you can see he doesnt know how to flya p3p...
Well I have the imu calibrated, no compass error, all right.
but.......
gone forever - RIP p3p

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2016-07-05_[12-38-09].txt
    24 KB · Views: 385
I'm sorry to hear that. I had that happen last night and it went 73 at one point but i managed to recover it before anything could happen.

from your log I uploaded to healthdrone
Found rate of change in the compass of 25 degrees or more per 0.1 seconds.
That's about a 90 degree turn in a third of a second, which is not normal.

This can be a result of extremly strong winds, a crash into an object or a bad compass.

Flight time Altitude Home Distance Compass Turn
Rate Per 0.1s
A 00m 18s 61.7 ft 59 ft 32.0

Seems like it got into some strong winds. That will do it.

how winded was it and it shown a compress error. Did you do a recalibration after the fly away.

No it was not windy at all. I used one battery while shooting fireworks at a lake came back with no problem and put that second battery in and it just went crazy. Ill upload the log if anyone is interested.

No it was not windy at all. I used one battery while shooting fireworks at a lake came back with no problem and put that second battery in and it just went crazy. Ill upload the log if anyone is interested.
Sorry Adam that was for anykill. Where did you launch from with the second battery?

I have yet to see anything like this happen with those that calibrate the compass before start up.

Reactions: Numone
Sorry Adam that was for anykill. Where did you launch from with the second battery?

The grass was getting wet, so I launched from the top of my case which is what like a foot and a half off the ground maybe? Right beside where I sent it up before. While it was up it did say compass error like anykill.

The flight data I have on your flight shows the home point at 2463.32ft....does that sound right?

Btw, why do you take off so fast? It's like the props no more then started to spin and you had the aircraft in the sky. Or did this take place on it's own?

Well, i did take off really fast, dont know why, maye too confident. Home point does not sound right.
Maybe I was too confident with my skills that I left some caution behind.
Another day same thing happen but not crash at all, and Compass error too, i confess I did not calibrate Compass before flight. Just checked if its was normal or any warning.
I know that was a big expesive disaster, but I learn that I have to calibrate every single flight. And.. wait to take off, and not rush.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well, i did take off really fast, dont know why, maye too confident. Home point does not sound right.
Maybe I was too confident with my skills that I left some caution behind.
Another day same thing happen but not crash at all, and Compass error too, i confess I did not calibrate Compass before flight. Just checked if its was normal or any warning.
I know that was a big expesive disaster, but I learn that I have to calibrate every single flight. And.. wait to take off, and not rush.

Yes I hover for a minute or so. To make sure everything is good. Best thing to do if it's flying funny is to land and recalibrate.

Good thing is that the building was in construction, no damage on the building or any person. Time to buy a new one as I Just sign a contract of aerial vídeos for one year more. Lets buy a p4 in 12x
And take all care possible. And do the pre flight check.
My fault
Thank you all "psichologists"

Reactions: phxbird57
I thought you were not supposed to calibrate before every flight ?
Only when the situation requires ? According to this thread
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer
If it's flying weird to me it's telling you "situation required". I've calibrated and it still was flying funny ( not straight and not responding to control) SO I would land it and do another calibration. First one may not of worked.

I thought you were not supposed to calibrate before every flight ?
Only when the situation requires ? According to this thread
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

My bottom line on compass calibrating is you should not have to calibrate each flight unless you have changed home points.

However, for my reasons, calibrating the compass prior to flight seems to be a type of insurance my P3's flight may go on without failure. I've been doing this process every since someone mentioned it back when the P2V's were the best thing on the market. Personally I feel like there are times that the firmware is subject to a glitch that results in a compass error. The pre flight calibrating I do seems to force the firmware to remember the compass settings and home point location.

The ONLY issue I've seen take place by calibrating before flight is from someone that did not know how to do a proper calibration. And because instructions and illustrations are not very good, it can be easy for someone to not do a proper calibration. Rather then relying on lights to signal a Good or No Good calibration, DJI should use a audible sound to take place. This will help those that do not take doing precise calibrations seriously a better chance of getting a proper calibration. Btw, I do want to mention that a proper calibration consist of more then just lifting and spinning the P3 around to a light change. How fast the process is done, how accurate the turning take place, and where the calibration takes place can be important. Not only that, but if at ANY time you get the compass on the P3 near metal, you need to expect the compass will then be out of adjustment. They say your vehicles keys, your metal watch on your wrist, a large amount of pocket change (coins) can all trigger a failed compass.

So this is my take on calibrating the compass prior to flight.

Reactions: TnHwyman
Wow Flynfrank that was use full, I have seen it posted and seen people go back an forth about the calibration. Do you walk around the drone or have the drone rotate around you. When calibrating. I've heard it does not make a difference.

Do you walk around the drone or have the drone rotate around you. When calibrating. I've heard it does not make a difference.
It does not make a difference.

Reactions: phxbird57

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20