Very imperfect flight

Reaction score
hey guys! While flying today I noticed that my drone would not fly straight for the life of it.

I was trying to capture images of a roof and no matter what I did I had to have the stick a little to right or left to just go in a straight line. The drift while flying straight was insane! We're talking like a couple feet.

Tried tripod mode and it wasn't any better.

Did IMU and compass calibrations but that didn't help at all!

Is this normal? It's enough to make it really really annoying.

Of course. P mode and 9-11 satellites on all test flights.

Of course. P mode and 9-11 satellites on all test flights.
What about OA, was it enabled? If you are getting close to something with OA enabled it will prevent close inspections of a roof and fly odd when you get close to things. Were you close to anything?

All OA features were enabled but there was nothing behind, in front, or on the sides of the aircraft.

The way I was testing this behavior was by aligning the grid lines with a straight line on the roof. Then I made sure I applied only full forward stick, and saw the direction it was flying in

All OA features were enabled but there was nothing behind, in front, or on the sides of the aircraft.

The way I was testing this behavior was by aligning the grid lines with a straight line on the roof. Then I made sure I applied only full forward stick, and saw the direction it was flying in
Try turning off OA. Maybe the sun was causing issues. There have been reports of odd behavior with sun causing problems with OA. If it behaves better, try OA enabled during a different time of day.

I can certainly try that but I was flying back and forth and at no point did the OA radar show an obstacle

I wonder if VPS could have anything to do with the issue?

This is classic IMU and compass issue. Try recalibrating compass someplace else. You have to be away from any possible magnetic distortion such as power lines, and away from metal, etc. Don't do it on concrete with rebar/pipes underneath it etc.

IMU should be done with the craft as COLD as possible. Even if you put it in the freezer for a bit, then take it out and do the IMU cal asap on a perfectly bubble leveled flat surface.

hey guys! While flying today I noticed that my drone would not fly straight for the life of it.
I was trying to capture images of a roof and no matter what I did I had to have the stick a little to right or left to just go in a straight line. The drift while flying straight was insane! We're talking like a couple feet.

Is this normal? It's enough to make it really really annoying.
Was it a steel roof and how close were you to it?

A large steel roof has a significant magnetic field of its own that is different from the earth's normal field.
If you come down into the distorted field of the roof, your Phantom has trouble flying straight, lift higher away from the magnetic influence and it's back to normal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic