Very first flight on brand new Phantom 1.1.1

Reaction score
Well, after spending nearly a month reading and learning about this thing I decided it was time to get it airborne and just check out the systems.

This first flight was entirely indoors because I had been concerned about a runaway throttle issue which turns out to have been no issue at all. Just my not knowing about the Phantom.

I will say the 1.1.1 flies very nicely. Very stable and very responsive to controls. It may have helped that I have experience flying smaller quads manually so I felt right at home with Phantom and absolutely no issues hovering and landing and maneuvering about the house.

At this point, for the $275 I spent on this first Phantom, I would say it was money VERY well spent.
I doubt there are many other quads in this class at that price that are this nice and fly so well.

The Syma X5C-1 that I've been flying for a while feels almost exactly like the Phantom other than the fact that the Phantom stays steadier and holds it's altitude by itself. The Phantom in ATTI mode is much easier to fly (imo) than the Syma X5C-1 in fact. I would highly recommend the Syma X5C-1 if you're wanting to know what the Phantom feels like for around $50

So now I know that all systems seem to be in order and as soon as the weather is permitting, the next step is outdoor flight.

Feels good to finally get it off the ground and in the air, even indoors for a short 5 minute flight.

VERY glad I bought it and looking forward the the better video I can get with it compared to the 2MP camera I've been using on the Syma.

Reactions: IflyinWY
Welcome to the club! Fly safe!

Yeah, a happy thread.:D

Great news, enjoy.

JKDSensei welcome to the club. I have the same phantom its a great flying machine. I agree it flys great and is responsive to the controls. I have made about a dozen flights outdoors, must say totally awesome.

Thank you Sir!
All my videos so far have been with my Syma so I'm really looking forward to some video and photos with the Phantom carrying either my GoPro or SJ4000

I have to get used to it staying where I park it....the X5C-1 certainly can't do that.

My biggest fear is that it just decides to head back to China out of the blue......and neither ATTI nor Manual mode gets control back :eek:

Last edited:
I have a garmin virb elite cam mounted on the phantom works great and has all the gps for all the overlays i can add to each film.

I looked at that cam. What's the range on the WiFi Remote control?
It can't send data in real time back to your phone can it?
If it could (over long distance) I'd be interested in the GPS location data in case of a mishap.

After reading reviews, the biggest complaint with it is that it has glitchy software and locks up a lot?

Check out my latest video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The garmin cam has wifi and has an app that controls cam but they have issues before i try it out.

My biggest fear is that it just decides to head back to China out of the blue......and neither ATTI nor Manual mode gets control back :eek:

Hey JKD, I think at this point you know I'm not going to steer you into the dirt, without some warning. The P1, as I know it, will NOT fly away.
I'm hoping for a second on this.:)

I believe you've read too many P2 threads. Our bird has a little brain, and just does what it is told. The P2 is a whole different animal.:eek:

Reactions: JKDSensei
Thats what i have heard with all the research on the 1.1.1 that i have done.

Really?
I'da thought that with the Naza and GPS it could also flyaway if the GPS got whacked and thought Home was somewhere on the horizon by mistake.

If not....Yet another PLUS for the P1 !!

Sure, they got fancy smancy this and FPV that....but WE still have our Phantoms (with no restrictions) :)

Yep i agree. After reading all the horror stories on the P2 and P3 i am with you will stick with the P1 which in my eyes is really stable. No issues here yet. I have a good camera, gonna get the flytrex setup and already have a dual battery setup i am happy.

I do "like" all the bells and whistles on the P3....but at the end of the day....bottom line...all I really want is decent hobby aerial video. The P1 does that beautifully with an inexpensive 12MP camera.

Nor do I need or want to fly miles away. Add in the horror stories and price difference....I'm a VERY happy P1 owner. Oh, it's also unrestricted unlike the newer Phantoms. + + +

Agreed. My camera was a 35 yr service award from work so i have not spent much to get good ariel shots as well and good battery life.

Woot! Flew her outdoors today....smooooth as siik. FAR FAR easier to fly than my little Syma X5C-1. Just park this baby in some airspace and sip a cool drink. She stays right there. lol
Man this thing flies like a dream.

See i told you they fly like a dream. I have flown in wide open spaces to in our backyard above our pool in somewhat closer spaces. I am happy with the 1.1.1 phantom no issues so far.

Reactions: JKDSensei

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers