Very fast stress crack repair

Reaction score
Lately I've had a very good experience with DJI service Europe with the repair of two of my phantom 4's that developed stress cracks. Very fast turnaround, zero cost shipping and all. While I'd love to have a stronger phantom, this is the next best thing. I really can't complain.
Screenshot_2016-07-21-12-24-48.png
Screenshot_2016-07-21-12-24-56.png

Reactions: Reed L
Excellent customer after care service, pity it developed the cracks in the first instance

I agree, it really is a pity. Mind you, I truly feel that the phantom 4 is a far stronger design than the phantom 3. But it still could use more material thickness. I would gladly take its weight instead of the weight from the object avoidance equipment which I never bother using. But beggars can't be choosers after all. Nonetheless, DJI service Europe over in the Netherlands is pretty **** quick.

I agree, it really is a pity. Mind you, I truly feel that the phantom 4 is a far stronger design than the phantom 3. But it still could use more material thickness. I would gladly take its weight instead of the weight from the object avoidance equipment which I never bother using. But beggars can't be choosers after all. Nonetheless, DJI service Europe over in the Netherlands is pretty **** quick.

did they actually replace the shell or just send you a new P4

20161202_185846.jpg
What they did three times was out the old camera onto a new phantom 4 minus camera. I know because one time I got one which had one motor make funny noises. It flew fine so I never bothered. I figured it would crack eventually anyway. Just about every part in a phantom, 1, 2, 3 or 4 will outlive the shell. Now my fourth is due to be sent in. Same story. over 100 flights, 9km plus per flight. Never crashed of course. But I'll wait till the mavic is in next week before I ship it. What will be nice on the mavic is a more convenient size for stress crack repair shipping . Anyway, here is my current bird. It's way overdue to be shipped.

Is this a common thing? I have flown my P4 in sport mode a lot and haven't had any issues with it.. I do notice the plastic is creaky sounding, but I think it has been that way since the beginning..

Most of my flying was actually in normal mode, sensors off. Since I'm very easy with the controls, I'm of the opinion that sheer overall mileage flown is what propagates the problem. But yes, it really shouldn't be happening. Truth be told, the P4 is still far stronger than the 3 but could still use some more thickness of plastic in the area. Let's hope for good things in the mavic.

Hmm, I had a P3A I sent in for cracks then sold when I got it back. I was wondering if the P4 also suffered from cracks. Seems they do.

I have over 2.5 million feet mostly in s mode with no cracks (Yet). I try to ease up on the hard banking to reduce high loads on the bird, so far it seems to be working.

I have over 2.5 million feet mostly in s mode with no cracks (Yet). I try to ease up on the hard banking to reduce high loads on the bird, so far it seems to be working.

my cracks are in the middle of the shell. 291 flights, 337,416 ft, 61 hrs 48 minutes flight time, hand catch every single time with this particular phantom. almost never fly in sport mode, i make lots of panoramas so i do a lot of hovering with small rotations. never crashed.

P4 shell crack.jpg

my cracks are in the middle of the shell. 291 flights, 337,416 ft, 61 hrs 48 minutes flight time, hand catch every single time with this particular phantom. almost never fly in sport mode, i make lots of panoramas so i do a lot of hovering with small rotations. never crashed.

View attachment 69974
I have never seen these types of cracks on a Phantom till now. You have many flights and hours but if you are not running hard this is really abnormal.

These look very similar to the cracks that plagued the white iPhone 3GS back in the day. IIRC, the problem was the manufacturing process for white plastic resulted in inferior plastic than any other colour, and the solution was to just buy a black rear case, or to send it in to Apple for a replacement. At least until it cracks again. https://gizmodo.com/5030993/white-iphones-are-cracking---how-frequently-we-do-not-know

Looks like people still can't make white plastic that lasts, 8 years later...

just got my P4 back from dji, charging batteries preparing for first flight, so far super pleased with DJI service. they actually gave me a new P4. i had some scratches on the camera from putting the gimbal guard on and off which are gone :) all the stickers indicating its brand new , wooohooo, great job from DJI. i sent it in on december 2nd / received it back 12/14

Reactions: SteveNPhx

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic