Very Disappointed.

flyNfrank said:
Loaderbull said:
flyNfrank said:
Gonefishing51077, I thought I explained to you a week ago in another thread why you were not getting any distance? You can not just upgrade one set of antennas. If you upgrade the 5.8 transmitter, you also have to upgrade the 5.8 on the quad. You can get away with only doing the rear 5.8 on the quad and do the front one later on. If you upgrade the 2.4 range extender, then you must upgrade the camera 2.4 antennas on the quad. I would be shocked that Tony did not explain this to you prior to selling you any antennas. By doing one set of antennas you will probably only see 1000-1200ft in distance. If you are getting 600-900ft then you probably have a bad solder connection or a broken wire.

'slothead' is correct - upgrading the pilot side antenna will give massive boosts without touching the bird at all. Yes doing both the pilot and bird side will improve even more, but suggesting it makes no difference and is pointless is incorrect.

Regards,

"but suggesting it makes no difference and is pointless is incorrect."

I bet if you read what I said again you would feel different about that remark.

No matter which way i read it, i, and many others have first hand experience in just modifying the pilot side with massive range increases. Suggesting otherwise is not correct. You are correct in that matching polarization is important, LHCP on the video transmitter of the quad has to be matched with LHCP on the pilot side. Vertical polarization on the quad for control link, but adding a flat panel/patch on the pilot side will still out perform a rubber ducky antenna. But yes, you would preferably use a pin wheel on the quad for control to replace the dipole antenna.

Regards,

:D Thanks guys for all your info. It's kinda over whelming for a newbie. I will start with Flat panel and see how that does. If that doesn't get it I will then look at adding an antenna to the quad. I would prefer to leave the quad as is. If I could hit 5K-8K on range I would be fine with that. This would allow me to see my entire ranch from the ranch house. :D

Gonefishing51077 said:
:D Thanks guys for all your info. It's kinda over whelming for a newbie. I will start with Flat panel and see how that does. If that doesn't get it I will then look at adding an antenna to the quad. I would prefer to leave the quad as is. If I could hit 5K-8K on range I would be fine with that. This would allow me to see my entire ranch from the ranch house. :D

I have had good luck with FPVLR and was getting 6-7000' work the stage 2 controller side antennas. No sue that's the direction your wanting to go though the panel antennas have proved to be very good

Wat is tne max altitutde you get wit that antenna??

I'm getting a bit annoyed at all the misinformation on forums about antennas and other stuff..... some say RC needs LHCP and oters say panel and reverse for the video... seems like everyone can't get story straight.. I'm not directing my comments to anyone in particular.. just something i've noticed... lots and lots of conflicting info. :p but hhey.. thats always the way on internet.

M.Tigelaar said:
8533ft (2601mtr)
http://youtu.be/OhrTXsHApJ0

Only with this antenna :
nothing else :D

Notice I'm not saying this to disrespect anyone here, I have no doubts whatsoever each of you are reading way beyond the point I was making with the 077 guy. He could not understand why it was he was not achieving distance he saw others mentioning. 4000-5000 feet is not going to be obtainable with the antenna he was sold (which is probably exactly the same I have here in a pile that is from FPVLR's stage 3 kit). I did the exact same thing he did, when I got my kit I replaced and installed just the controller antenna from the kit. I flew 2980ft with stock antennas and the 1st booster app. After the antenna switch I went right out and could not get past 1450ft. I wasn't only disappointed after attempting to get past the height for 3 days, I was upset until I began using another untouched controller from my 1st quad I lost. The 1st flight using the 1st style controller with stock antenna turned out a 3768ft. I remember it like it was yesterday. I changed apps to the V+UP an after numerous flight attempts finished at 4341ft. These were all straight up distance flights which I stopped doing after the loss of my 2nd quad. I now do top speed flights.

So I'm not going to say I'm wrong because this above was my experience, and my personal facts. The only thing I did not incluse above was my conversations with Tony on why my quad was not producing the distance numbers. The conversation came after the numerous emails I had with him which I could NEVER understand what the heck he was talking about. In talking on the phone, he 1st said it had some thing to do with dji. I said what? He said can't explain different results and that some people had Vision +'s out of the box going 4000ft, and others would be 1000ft. But that he did know that his antennas needed to be matched with each other and went on about polarization. This was my 1st experience with him that he began to sound educated on antennas and left me with the feeling he knew his products.

To this day I never did install his kit. I actually began to follow DBS and ask him to build me a similar setup to what he used of his at that time. And due to procrastination....I still have not sent him my parts. My guess is he is into something other then the vPlus now?

And no I'm not trying to sell anyone's parts. Now...where can I find the controller 5.8 antenna that will allow me to fly above 4400ft? I have 3 hours of cyber monday left, with a good deal maybe I can buy several and share them?

I have stage 2 fpvlr and I can get like 2000 feet fpv and 3000 feet remote signal on a good day. I am in the suburbs of a heavily populated city with wifi everywhere

I was doing 6-7000 in very rural areas with little to no interference with only the controller side antennas. It is doable. A lot of time it's all about aiming the antennas right.

flyNfrank said:
I flew 2980ft with stock antennas and the 1st booster app. After the antenna switch I went right out and could not get past 1450ft. I wasn't only disappointed after attempting to get past the height for 3 days, I was upset until I began using another untouched controller from my 1st quad I lost. The 1st flight using the 1st style controller with stock antenna turned out a 3768ft. I remember it like it was yesterday. I changed apps to the V+UP an after numerous flight attempts finished at 4341ft. These were all straight up distance flights which I stopped doing after the loss of my 2nd quad. I now do top speed flights.

And no I'm not trying to sell anyone's parts. Now...where can I find the controller 5.8 antenna that will allow me to fly above 4400ft? I have 3 hours of cyber monday left, with a good deal maybe I can buy several and share them?

Let me see if I got this right:
1. There are some controllers that perform better than others. If true is it that they are better matched to the bird or do they have something inherently better? Would be nice if someone could get two controllers and do A/B testing with various birds to try to identify the source of the improvement.
2. Changing the antenna on the controller reduces the range in some instances. Need more clarification on this. When does changing the antenna on the controller improve the range, assuming you don't modify the bird.
3. You only measured range by flying up? If so, how did you loose your quad twice?

flyNfrank said:

I have had good results with a panel antenna, also with a home made 7 turn helical. The panel is often used by people on here and is approx. 14dBi, both being directional obviously so you would need to face the direction of the quad.

Well this doesn't really help the poster but just to confirm - it is possible to mod just the transmitter and get a big boost in distance.

This is me at 1970m (6463 feet) with an 8dbi TP-Link Antenna mod on just the transmitter. Lots of people have gone way farther than me. Admittedly my flight was over water with me at the top of a valley in a very rural setting with zero WiFi in the area. But it IS possible in ideal circumstances to get some great distance.

1970m.png

Foosy said:
Let me see if I got this right:
1. There are some controllers that perform better than others. If true is it that they are better matched to the bird or do they have something inherently better? Would be nice if someone could get two controllers and do A/B testing with various birds to try to identify the source of the improvement.
2. Changing the antenna on the controller reduces the range in some instances. Need more clarification on this. When does changing the antenna on the controller improve the range, assuming you don't modify the bird.
3. You only measured range by flying up? If so, how did you loose your quad twice?

My 1st loss was the P2V. After loosing it I found that the S1 switch was defective. With the switch in the up position, if you barely touched it it would switch to ATTI unknowingly and the quad drifted in a wind stream well out of range when I thought it was hovering in a fixed position. By the time it wasn't hovering, it was gone. The 2nd was a vPlus that I flew just to it's last reception limit and by mistake hit the Yaw lever and rotated the quad 180 degrees placing the reception in an even worse possible position, and the quad hovered until running the battery dead. I watched it drop in a cornfield just up the road. I searched the field 3 times and never found it. Something about this deal did add up. The find my phantom had it marked 40 feet from the farmers house, in his yard. He said he knew nothing about it.

1. "There are some controllers that perform better than others."

I don't think it's the controllers, it would the quad's. Ever wonder why the quads 1st flight looses connection around 400ft? My theory is dji has the quads limited some until a new flier wont loose his quad on the 1st batch of flights. It took me 10-12 flights before I could make it to 1500ft range.

diverjeb said:
Did a stage 2 upgrade to transmitter /wifi and antennae upgrade on bird side - over 6200 feet vertical and 2 miles horizontal. No issues other than wifi tx on bird side is intermittent. Bought a new tx box from uavproducts.com but haven't replaced yet. The only thing holding back my PV2+ is battery life.

This was the day before your "fly-away" wasn't it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers