VERY Cool, But Legal??

Reaction score
I just saw this on Facebook. I have to admit that looks pretty cool. But I'm wondering the legality of it. I know that at least in my state, it's illegal to use a drone for hunting. I think it's ok for tracking during the off season, but not during a hunt. I guess hardcore sportsman would say they're cheating or using an unfair advantage, but I think it looks kinda fun!

Been a few attempts at not allowing the use of a UAV to harass hunters in my state. I would like to use the bait delivery system as decent water is three times the distance I can toss.

Legality depends on location. In the USA is can vary from state to state. Is some states like Mississippi is not legal to conventional fish with anything other than a rod & reel.
Do a search here on the forum as there are many, many fishing threads here. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
That is a great video.
personally, I dont think its cheating anymore than using a fish finder or boat to get the bait to where the fish are. He's still using a rod and reel to catch and haul in, which is legagl.
love this new technology and inovative uses people come up with every day.
nice job.

Reactions: Gary M
That is a great video.
personally, I dont think its cheating anymore than using a fish finder or boat to get the bait to where the fish are. He's still using a rod and reel to catch and haul in, which is legagl.
love this new technology and inovative uses people come up with every day.
nice job.

I tend to agree with you. I just know some purists would wave the BS flag. I'm with you, no different than using fish finder, etc.

Don't see why it would be illegal.
He's not harming the fish anymore than using a rod and reel as long as he has a fishing licence.
If he was netting them and rounding them up with 2 drones, then it'll be different.

The rules here in New South Wales don't say specifically that this is illeagal but there is one parragraph that makes for a grey area.
Prohibited
You are not permitted to:
  • Use any methods/gear to take fish or invertebrates that are not specified in permitted methods.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/perm-prohib-saltwater

Using a drone to carry line beyond normal casting distance is a method not specifically mentioned in the Permitted gear/method section.
It would fall to the individual fisheries officer to make the call.That could be good or very very bad as some fisheries officers are the type to overstep their authority in the extreme but most are realy pretty cool.
People do regularly use surf ski's and surf boards to take line way out beyond the surf and I have never heard of anyone getting into trouble doing that and it is much the same thing so you would most likely get away with it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20