Very confused iPad GPS with P3P

Reaction score
I have a P3P and have had one flight with my wife's iPad Mini 1 (I have an old iPad 2).

Everything worked ok but the video feed was very laggy - so I thought with Black Friday / Cyber Monday today in the UK I would grab a new tablet.

I was about to buy an iPad Air2 64gb WiFi when I remembered I had seen some posts about GPS.

Apart from follow me mode, with a P3P do I need cellular (not connected / contracted) which gives me GPS, to fly????

The iPad Mini 1 does NOT have cellular and the map of where I was flying showed up.

With an Apple device the only way to get GPS is to pay for the cellular version.
Having a cell connectable device adds nothing to your flying.
Having GPS in the device is only used for follow-me and for resetting the homepoint to the location of the device.

Reactions: cocoamedia
With an Apple device the only way to get GPS is to pay for the cellular version.
Having GPS in the device is only used for follow-me and for resetting the homepoint to the location of the device.

Thanks for your quick response ;) Being a Newbie - does the need often arise (apart from Follow Me mode) to re-set the home position?

Thanks for your quick response ;) Being a Newbie - does the need often arise (apart from Follow Me mode) to re-set the home position?
Not much ... but if you were say ... on a moving boat and wanted to avoid having a homepoint way back where you started flying, you could from time to time update the homepoint to somewhere near the mothership.

Not much ... but if you were say ... on a moving boat and wanted to avoid having a homepoint way back where you started flying, you could from time to time update the homepoint to somewhere near the mothership.
I guess I could use a none cell Air2 generally then if I wanted follow me or fly from a moving platform use my iPhone 6?

We also need a device with Cellular, connected to a network, to stream live video to YouTube. If that's something that might interest you in the future. It's an awesome option to consider. ;-)

RedHotPoker

We also need a device with Cellular, connected to a network, to stream live video to YouTube. If that's something that might interest you in the future. It's an awesome option to consider. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I can Hotspot my iPhone to allow Wi-Fi to the iPad for that I think ;)

Can you? I wouldn't know. My cell use is strictly business not for pleasure.
If you ever try that and it works, please report back with your findings.

RedHotPoker

Not true. You can buy the GPS plug-n-play for the iPad for around $150.

Not true. You can buy the GPS plug-n-play for the iPad for around $150.
The Garmin Glo is only $99 and offers both GPS & GLONASS. Other commonly used GPS receivers can be found here.

I personally use a cellular iPad Mini 2. I didn't activate the cell service since the GPS works even without the cell service activated. If you know you'll need GPS on your mobile device, then it would be more convenient to get a cellular iPad. The price difference between the Wi-Fi and cellular iPads is about the same price as an external GPS receiver. Now, if you already own a Wi-Fi iPad, then an external GPS receiver would be a great option.

What's price difference between cellular and non cellular iPad ? If it's just 100-150, go for iPad with cellular.

I believe most of the android tablets come with built- in gps devices.

If you have iPhone , you can use it to get new home point, follow me mode and you tube , only restriction is its smaller screen size but you can swap devices during your flights.

Tethering will get you just the Internet to your iPad, it won't get you GPS location.

Or save yourself all the trouble and go get a nice Android tablet with built in GPS, use it exclusively with your Phantom.

Reactions: aka1ceman
Or save yourself all the trouble and go get a nice Android tablet with built in GPS, use it exclusively with your Phantom.
People who use Apple devices usually don't move to android :)

Ok thank you everyone for your input - I work in a design agency so I'm kinda hooked into the apple ecosystem. I splashed out on an iPad mini 4 with cellular in the end as it will replace my ageing iPad 2. I should be able to get a good price for my old iPad so the price won't be too bad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thank you everyone for your input - I work in a design agency so I'm kinda hooked into the apple ecosystem. I splashed out on an iPad mini 4 with cellular in the end as it will replace my ageing iPad 2. I should be able to get a good price for my old iPad so the price won't be too bad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I thought I had bought an iPad Mini 4.... turns out I didn't... sigh.

Had a rubbish experience with Amazon.co.uk, bought the iPad direct from Amazon with Prime as I'm a member. When I completed the transaction I got an email saying they were low on stock so I wouldn't get it next day, but I would get expedited delivery.

Turns out expedited delivery was 5 days later... the site informed me it would arrive on Friday, it didn't. When I phoned to say it hadn't turned up, I was told it would definitely arrive on Saturday... it didn't.

I had already checked with the courier who said they had never had it in to them

When I rang on Sunday, I was told it had gone missing and Amazon were no longer selling them so all they could do was refund me!

Meanwhile all the prices have gone up again across the web ready for the New Year discounting.

I cannot believe that Amazon has stopped selling iPad Mini 4, considering iPad Mini 4 has only recently been released I really don't think that Apple is releasing a new version.

So I'm stuck without a tablet for my P3P now :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: d3adtwist

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik