Very close call and crash with my Dji Phantom 4

It appears the phantom was almost directly above you too. That's probably a factor in why you lost signal even if it wasn't a great distance away. There's a diagram in the manual that points this out. More of a ground level up to a 45 degree angle is better.

Reactions: Toyz
Wow, you shouldn't have lost signal so close. Here's a few tips:

1. Select a flight channel that's not busy. Do this manually using "Custom channel".
2. When you select the channel manually you'll see a "transmission quality" slider bar. Set that to the minimum at 4mbps
3. Install the channel hack into your Go app to get 32 channels. The upper channels of 28 to 32 are much quieter to extend your range.
4. Never fly behind anything. When flying via FPV is important you always have LOS in scenarios like yours. I spotter can help with that as you fly FPV.

I still don't understand how you could have lost signal that close by. I appears you were only 200' away. The only explanation is the tower you were shooting was emitting 2.4Ghz wifi, but I doubt if that's the case.

You got lucky there.
There is still a confusion everywhere between RC signal and video signal.
The channel settings are for video signal. It wont help the RC signal at all.

A general rule in aviation is altitude=safety. I wonder why people put their bird in the air without thinking about RTH height and without thinking about what can happen where they are flying !
Taking off next to trees is another mistake especially when using auto-takeoff : you never know how the quad will react.

Yeah very very close! Really? Is that the only way to get rid of it? It really sucks that it isnt level!
Thanks
It should be possible to calibrate the gimbal so it's level. You may also have to set a small offset in the gimbal menu. I had the same problem with the horizon on my Phantom 3 but I think I solved it.

The over hang on the building looked like it was going to get your props once it started going up . **** lucky . Thank god you got it back in 1 piece.
does god intercept the control signal to ensure we get them back from events like this then? ;)

wow not impressed with p4 obstacle avoidance system
I was leaning towards a P4. However my recent encounter with DJI telling a prop flew off my P3 (that didn't) because a motor spun up. The data they sent me shows a motor revving up, but it also shows another motor shutting down or failing at the same time. My P3 is trash parts because they won't repair it.

I am no longer interested in or supporting DJI products because of what I had experienced and seeing things like what happened to Ivar and others.

Had my first crash and close call with my Phantom 4, lost rc signal and it started to return to home, thanks to the obsticle avoidance system it didnt crash, but it was hella close
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
OMG, how did it not crash!?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Same thing happened to me yesterday with much worse results, it's going in for service tomorrow.

With regards to OA, I have found it to be pretty useless against anything but a large solid object like a wall, if it's less than around 4 feet across OA seems to miss the object completely. Also, once in awhile OA thinks I have prop guards on and disables it's self, I don't even own prop guards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.