Very close call and crash with my Dji Phantom 4

Is it better to set transmission quality to 4mbps even if you don't plan on going far?
Yes. When flying you can hardly tell any difference in video feed quality. The benefit is increased distance and signal integrity. It even estimates the added distance capability, noted by the bit rate. Set it to 4mbps and forget it.

Wow, amazing what happen and you're still able to have you P4 in one piece. Beautiful scenery as well. Where did you get your music from?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

wow not impressed with p4 obstacle avoidance system

Impressed or not, it saved the bird... which is the point. Without OA it would have continued forward and crashed for sure. Is it perfect, not by a long shot... has it saved Phantoms that would have otherwise crashed... without a doubt
This is iteration 1 of OA for the Phantom, so expect future versions will improve on this one. Maybe future versions will be more impressive ;)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the tips, i also dont understand why, i had the antennas in the right position, next time ill be more careful when flying behind things. Thanks a lot for the tips, and i was indeed lucky :D. This was my first really scary moment, i will also always think of setting the RTH altitude above all buildings to avoid this in the future!
Thanks a lot!
The last sentence was the issue. Good lesson. Glad it didn't crash. In the end, I guess the avoidance worked JUST well enough. That thin top of the tower it didn't see and was pure luck that it missed that.

I don't recommend you take the dust off your props that way again. Close call and thank for sharing, glad OA helped. I like this forum because most of us share our experiences and screw up's with fellow pilots, this makes the rest of us aware of situations that could get us in trouble. When I fly my new P4 I try to remember the do's and don't do that your asking for trouble.

Last edited:
If only the P4 backed up along its path about 100 meters before RTH like the 3DR, it could avoid most of these situations to begin with. That is a known safe route and puts the drone back in contact with the controller. Optional of course in case you are doing low level flying but most of the time it would save object collisions when returning to home. As this video shows the collision avoidance is not perfect and if the roof had been larger, that would have been the end for that P4.

I think the p5 will be a much better bird with its obstacle avoidance

Must have been nearly horizontal on its side braking to account for the props not making contact but the landing gear did. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's probably not as close as you think it is. Which is why it didn't hit the ledge on the way up and didn't hit the top pole.

Also I believe it didn't touch anything, what you saw was a massive jolt from the breaking, but didn't hit. If it hit, it would have hit the ledge on the way up.

Edit: looking from a PC it did clearly hit

Another good mark of OA :)

But your horizon isn't level :( such a shame, take it back and get it replaced.

Last edited:
I do have OA! No idea why it didnt stop earlier!

It looked to be in sport mode to me the way it accelerated? If you had it in sport mode, the OA doesn't work.

Here's why you're lucky.... If that bird would have hit and went down on top of those people from that height it could have killed someone. If you film something like that you should also be close to the target, so you can keep an eye on the distance. The FPV flying is just like a rear view mirror "objects are closer than they appear"... So many mistake by people thinking "I got this object cleared".

Also I'm surprised that your RTH would pan the camera down? That seems odd to me.

Be safe brother.... They don't allow Drones in jails, just pictures of them!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Stealthmatt
Had my first crash and close call with my Phantom 4, lost rc signal and it started to return to home, thanks to the obsticle avoidance system it didnt crash, but it was hella close
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So lucky, I love your video even though it hit - its so good you got it back.... but dam that post at the top!

Wow, amazing what happen and you're still able to have you P4 in one piece. Beautiful scenery as well. Where did you get your music from?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Thanks a lot! Music is a mixed version of
and

The last sentence was the issue. Good lesson. Glad it didn't crash. In the end, I guess the avoidance worked JUST well enough. That thin top of the tower it didn't see and was pure luck that it missed that.
Very true, it didnt work perfect but perfect enough to save the drone :D

Reactions: Jussaguy
I don't recommend you take the dust off your props that way again. Close call and thank for sharing, glad OA helped. I like this forum because most of us share our experiences and screw up's with fellow pilots, this makes the rest of us aware of situations that could get us in trouble. When I fly my new P4 I try to remember the do's and don't do that your asking for trouble.
Thanks and i totally agree haha :)
Thanks

If only the P4 backed up along its path about 100 meters before RTH like the 3DR, it could avoid most of these situations to begin with. That is a known safe route and puts the drone back in contact with the controller. Optional of course in case you are doing low level flying but most of the time it would save object collisions when returning to home. As this video shows the collision avoidance is not perfect and if the roof had been larger, that would have been the end for that P4.
Yes there should at least be an option for that!
Thanks

Yeah very very close! Really? Is that the only way to get rid of it? It really sucks that it isnt level!
Thanks

Yes, its a hardware issue, only guaranteed fix is new phantom 4! unless your happy with calibrating it all the time and keep on adjusting it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers