Very cheap Gimbal solution

Reaction score
For all(including myself) who wants a cheap solution when power up your Vision and forget to remove the gimbal lock,here is a Dutch (and so cheap) solution.Just a clothpin will do.

Attachments

• DSC_2355 kopie.jpg
    DSC_2355 kopie.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 783
I'm not following. How is this any better than me looking to see if the gimbal lock has been removed? Is the idea that I won't miss the clip because it's brightly colored?

I just use these, onl y a couple Bucks off Amazon and I haven't forgotten to remove guard since I put these on.

Remove-Before-Flight.jpg

Crafty ! but it won't fit in transport case .

All pilots must follow a checklist before operating an aircraft . I would get dji flight helper app on android and follow the checklist.

It will help keep your brain sharp and less forgetful . ;)

It's not when I'm going to fly anymore.I'm used to check things before take-off.It's more when I do any upgrade and do things inside.You're right check things before flying, but it's very easy to forget this.

Msinger.As you can see the clothpin is in front of the power button, so when I power up the pin remind me of the gimbal guard.

Reactions: Norm isaacs
What is the reason for putting the gimbal lock back on after each flight? I removed mine 1st day and haven't seen it since then. If I travel away from my house with my quad I have it in a Trade Craft case. I'm guessing some of you don't use a case and the lock adds some protection for the gimbal?

flyNfrank said:
I'm guessing some of you don't use a case and the lock adds some protection for the gimbal?
Do you carry your case around too? If so, you should consider putting the lock on so your gimbal does not move while in transport.

msinger said:
flyNfrank said:
I'm guessing some of you don't use a case and the lock adds some protection for the gimbal?
Do you carry your case around too? If so, you should consider putting the lock on so your gimbal does not move while in transport.

I agree as the cost to repair and or replace is outrageous.

Per the DJI manual:
Attach the Gimbal Clamp during transportation or long term storage to avoid damage.

The gimbal is fragile, so you don't want it freely bouncing around when not powered up.

I use a case and always put the gimbal lock back on when packing up the bird. I often wheel the case or store it standing up on the short end and don't want the floppy camera/gimbal combo to be hanging or jarred while in an unnatural position. Seems a little tricky getting that lock on when you are new at it, but then it becomes easy.

flyNfrank said:
What is the reason for putting the gimbal lock back on after each flight? I removed mine 1st day and haven't seen it since then. If I travel away from my house with my quad I have it in a Trade Craft case. I'm guessing some of you don't use a case and the lock adds some protection for the gimbal?
:D
I worry that the gimbal might separate without support. After so many threads on here about dancing/tilted/broken gimbals, I think it's worth keeping the most important part of my bird stable and supported.

I usually keep the kit in a GPC hard case, but also backpack so the bird is getting bounced around. I also have Fastsmiles gimbal guard and inertia guard which I think is reasonable precaution. Arguably OCD, I also have a soft foam pad snuggled between the gimbal lock and the gimbal guard so there is no bouncing on the vibration dampeners. :cool:

I don't get to fly as much as I would like, and the last thing I want to find is my camera separated during transport!

flyNfrank said:

Frank be careful when traveling without the gimbal lock a lot of my traveling consists of very bumpy roads I forgot to put the lock on once and my gimbal hasn't been the same since. I also have a tradecraft case but the lock is a must for me and where I travel.

The OP's tip about the clip may be helpful, not just prior to flying. Oftentimes, I needed to power up the drone on its perch at home, props off, to fiddle with Go or Litchi. Twice, I forgot to remove the gimbal brace.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers