Verticle Distance On Stock Vision +

As others have suggested, I put it out about 400' ahead of me and was able to do about 1350' vertical before it lost connection on a stock setup.

You folks pushing the vertical envelope are going to ****-it-up for all the rest of us that try to fly responsibly. Don't you read the press and how the FAA is trying it's best to limit our hobby. Also, speaking as a private pilot, it's very difficult to spot full size planes while airborn, let alone a 1 foot UAV. And if you think you are in a remote area, then keep in mind that a private pilot is thinking the same thing and spends less time looking for obstructions then they normally would. This is pretty much common sense. If you want to experiment, go to Mojave dessert. All it will take is one accident and that will be the end of it.

flyNfrank said:
I on the other hand have another plan for descending, one that is better not discussed publicly due to safety. I'm sure for anyone that has followed me the last few months probably knows what it might be.

Initiating CSC and letting it fall into a large trapeze net?

I guess you could also let it splash down in a lake, but that doesnt seem very conducive to future flights! :shock:

Please elaborate on your method of rapid descent.

Lucan said:
1329' straight up. Stock
while traveling outside of the USA some have easily gotten over 4000feet altitude stock. But that's with the phantom being not directly above you but a couple hundred feet horizontally away

N017RW said:
-3dB at vertical seems generous.

I though it could actually approach -30 or more depending on certain conditions. No???

30 degrees is what I use. Sometimes a little less when I start trying to push things.

Mopar Bob said:
You folks pushing the vertical envelope are going to ****-it-up for all the rest of us that try to fly responsibly. Don't you read the press and how the FAA is trying it's best to limit our hobby. Also, speaking as a private pilot, it's very difficult to spot full size planes while airborn, let alone a 1 foot UAV. And if you think you are in a remote area, then keep in mind that a private pilot is thinking the same thing and spends less time looking for obstructions then they normally would. This is pretty much common sense. If you want to experiment, go to Mojave dessert. All it will take is one accident and that will be the end of it.

You must live in Connecticut.

Congress has given the FAA until September 2015 to get regulations in place. Also, the FAA is working with manufacturers now on a our birds to communicate with one another to keep issues at a minimum. And Also, it has been mentioned for all to have a license of some sort.

Ntw Bob, you could find it easier to turn yourself into the wind and pee then to tell me how or where to fly. I could say I flew non stop daily at 20,000ft and it wouldn't mean much until it was psychically viewable. Those that post videos at super high altitudes is where the attention is at, if there is any. At this point it is only speculation as to what actually goes on.

So, I understand the idea of flying high. It's fun to see how high, but as you approach these 4000 + feet, wind and other things change dramatically. Is no one afraid of loosing one?

D

CameraGuy said:
So, I understand the idea of flying high. It's fun to see how high, but as you approach these 4000 + feet, wind and other things change dramatically. Is no one afraid of loosing one?

D

At 4000-5000 feet up, wind isn't that much different than at ground level. So if wind is 5mph at ground level, wind may be 100% stronger at 4k feet.

Those here who hit 4k feet high (when out of the country) flipped to Atti mode to have higher descent rate.

FYI. RC model rockets and planes have been hitting 4k plus feet for YEARS. Just check YouTube.

The sky really isn't falling. ;-)

flyNfrank said:
I have yet to have any kind of modified stock or aftermarket antennas. I do have around $400 worth of fpvlr antennas that I have yet to install.

Descending from 4400ft with a vPlus in current setting for me is unknown. When I did the 44k mission we were able to descend between 9-14mph. As you know we're now stuck with 4.5mph which is ridiculous for pro pilots. I use to feel like I could drop in altitude quick enough to get out of any on coming aerial traffic. Now we're stuck with slowly floating like bird with a hit me sign on it.
The only reason DJI slowed the descent rate down was due to a few weeks after the vPlus 1st shipped the new-be pilots were constantly crashing upon landing. They were coming down so fast for them they lacked the know-how to land properly thus slamming the ground and breaking the gimbal's. It has been slow descent every since then. You would have to load firmware v1.08 to enjoy faster descent rate. I on the other hand have another plan for descending, one that is better not discussed publicly due to safety. I'm sure for anyone that has followed me the last few months probably knows what it might be.
I'm very impressed with your birds capabilities. I have yet to push this one. With my first bird I got over 3k ft out but never attempted an altitude flight. Would love some pics above the clouds though...

Lets clear something up here.

Sometimes teh wind at higher altitudes is the same as at ground level.

Other times, its much much stronger. It depends on when. It depends on shear. It depends on weather systems.

Know thy air column before you go up in it, or you will be playing russian rhoulette with your bird !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20