Vertical Panorama

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching but I don't even know if vertical panoramas is necessarily the right word to use. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried stitching together a bunch of pictures taken with the camera pointing straight down. I'm thinking of something like an overhead shot of a golf course but with way higher resolution than commercially available sat imagery will get you. I'm imagining that with enough pictures lined up correctly you could produce a high resolution very large image.

My thinking is to just make a waypoint flight in Litchi with a bunch of parallel lines and stops at a calculated distance apart to take photos. I'll just try it eventually when the weather here in upstate NY gets good enough to fly more, but just wondering if anyone else has tried it and has any advice.

Thanks,
Eric

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching but I don't even know if vertical panoramas is necessarily the right word to use. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried stitching together a bunch of pictures taken with the camera pointing straight down. I'm thinking of something like an overhead shot of a golf course but with way higher resolution than commercially available sat imagery will get you. I'm imagining that with enough pictures lined up correctly you could produce a high resolution very large image.
You mean like this?
5X20a_Tallowood%20orthophoto-X2.jpg

That's 115 images used to make an orthophoto of 35 acres.
The original image is huge and shows great detail.
It's a commonly used process for mapping and surveying.
The pics were taken using DroneDeploy to fly a grid and shoot overlapping images
Screenshot_2015-10-20-12-23-56%5B1%5D-L.png

Then stitched in Agisoft Photoscan which can also calculate a contour plot for the area.
Tallowood%20contours-XL.jpg

btw most people would think of something like this if you say vertical panorama:
DJI_0370-388a-XL.jpg

Check out Maps Made Easy. Their Map Pilot app does just what you want. You upload the photos to their website when done, and get back an orthophoto. The stitching service is free for small areas.

Reactions: skitchen8
Oh wow that's awesome, thank you for the responses. I have lots more reading to do now. Thank you again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj