Vertical lines and dots on videos and photos

Reaction score
This problem is on my X3 camera gimbal, but I'm thinking it could happen on all cameras of the different DJI drones, so i start a thread on phantompilots as well, since i haven't got any answers on inspirepilots yet.
Maybe somebody on this forum recognizes or knows anything about this problem.

Anyway,
My Inspire 1 / X3 camera has all of a sudden started to show a lot of vertical lines and dots or squares on the video recordings and photos. These problems is also visible directly in the mobile phone screen.
It is both some kind of red and white dots or squares all over the videos / photos in random places, and also black vertical lines all over the videos and photos.

Actually i think that the vertical lines is always present even at those times when it looks as if there are only the red and white dots or squares present.

Depending on the color of the background the problems are sometimes more visible than other times, it seems.

I have never earlier had any problems with the I1 or the X3 camera, it started all of a sudden.
i have tried all different things i can think of, all the different camera settings, resetting the camera, formatting the SD card (but I'm pretty sure it is not the SD card since the problems are visible on the mobile phone screen as well).

Sometimes once in a while i can manage to record a short video that does not have any problems, but most often there are these problems present.

Does somebody know what these are and why they occur and what the fix is?

This is really disappointing i must say. I hope it can be fixed without having to buy a new X3 camera or i1?
Help would be highly appreciated.

i1-4.jpg
i1-x3-2.jpg

i3-5.jpg
i1-x3.jpg

i3-3.jpg

This problem is on my X3 camera gimbal, but I'm thinking it could happen on all cameras of the different DJI drones, so i start a thread on phantompilots as well, since i haven't got any answers on inspirepilots yet.
Maybe somebody on this forum recognizes or knows anything about this problem.

Anyway,
My Inspire 1 / X3 camera has all of a sudden started to show a lot of vertical lines and dots or squares on the video recordings and photos. These problems is also visible directly in the mobile phone screen.
It is both some kind of red and white dots or squares all over the videos / photos in random places, and also black vertical lines all over the videos and photos.

Actually i think that the vertical lines is always present even at those times when it looks as if there are only the red and white dots or squares present.

Depending on the color of the background the problems are sometimes more visible than other times, it seems.

I have never earlier had any problems with the I1 or the X3 camera, it started all of a sudden.
i have tried all different things i can think of, all the different camera settings, resetting the camera, formatting the SD card (but I'm pretty sure it is not the SD card since the problems are visible on the mobile phone screen as well).

Sometimes once in a while i can manage to record a short video that does not have any problems, but most often there are these problems present.

Does somebody know what these are and why they occur and what the fix is?

This is really disappointing i must say. I hope it can be fixed without having to buy a new X3 camera or i1?
Help would be highly appreciated.

View attachment 84595 View attachment 84596
View attachment 84597 View attachment 84598
View attachment 84599
Hi found this might help
1498639359466-958329117.jpg

Thanks, but in my case it happens even in good light conditions and not only on DNG´s but on videos as well.

I don't know why the folks at the DJI forum not are good at answering questions, i think somebody from DJI should give some input on their own forum.
Well it seems nobody seems to know anything about this problem.

But i appreciate your answer, thanks.

Thanks, but in my case it happens even in good light conditions and not only on DNG´s but on videos as well.

I don't know why the folks at the DJI forum not are good at answering questions, i think somebody from DJI should give some input on their own forum.
Well it seems nobody seems to know anything about this problem.

But i appreciate your answer, thanks.
Sorry this not help it did show some pics of light conditions with dots aswell,,you could try searching stuck pixels ,was some posts about imageing sensor awell i did read somewhere,mayby google that,,good luck and hope you find a fix :)

Sorry this not help it did show some pics of light conditions with dots aswell,,you could try searching stuck pixels ,was some posts about imageing sensor awell i did read somewhere,mayby google that,,good luck and hope you find a fix :)

Thanks, yes i have seen some pictures with the same kind of dots, but nobody has had a solution to that as far as i have seen.
I just noticed that i have got an answer over on the DJI forum from a person at DJI, lets see what that brings to the table.
But my hopes isn't that high, i guess it ends with the classic answer "send in the camera to DJI"?

Thanks, yes i have seen some pictures with the same kind of dots, but nobody has had a solution to that as far as i have seen.
I just noticed that i have got an answer over on the DJI forum from a person at DJI, lets see what that brings to the table.
But my hopes isn't that high, i guess it ends with the classic answer "send in the camera to DJI"?

Join me! I see vertical lines in the photos

Hi. I Saw that your thread in the DJI forum was a couple of months old, so i guess by this time you have found a solution? Very interested to know where exact the problem was, camera or Craft?

I Read that you tested your camera in a Friends drone and that the camera worked fine.
That was not funny reading for me because i have recently shipped only the x3 camera to DJI without the craft, so i really hope My problem is in the camera and not the drone.
Unfortunately i have not access to test on another inspire 1 unit.

My hope is that the difference between the place where the camera processing happens on the i1 vs. the i2 (inside the camera vs. inside the Craft) can make a difference where the problem is between those two crafts event though the problem looks the same.
My problem looks very much like your problem.

So did you found out where the problem was?

Hi. I Saw that your thread in the DJI forum was a couple of months old, so i guess by this time you have found a solution? Very interested to know where exact the problem was, camera or Craft?

I Read that you tested your camera in a Friends drone and that the camera worked fine.
That was not funny reading for me because i have recently shipped only the x3 camera to DJI without the craft, so i really hope My problem is in the camera and not the drone.
Unfortunately i have not access to test on another inspire 1 unit.

My hope is that the difference between the place where the camera processing happens on the i1 vs. the i2 (inside the camera vs. inside the Craft) can make a difference where the problem is between those two crafts event though the problem looks the same.
My problem looks very much like your problem.

So did you found out where the problem was?
I have not come to a conclusion about where the problem lies. I also need to send the camera and the drone to DJI.

I have not come to a conclusion about where the problem lies. I also need to send the camera and the drone to DJI.

Okay i see. You said you tested your camera in a friends inspire 2, but did you also test your friends camera in your aircraft? If yes where there any problems when having his camera in your aircraft?

Okay i see. You said you tested your camera in a friends inspire 2, but did you also test your friends camera in your aircraft? If yes where there any problems when having his camera in your aircraft?
Yes, I used my friend's camera on my aircraft. It did not fail.

I only see the problem when my camera is on my aircraft.

Yes, I used my friend's camera on my aircraft. It did not fail.

I only see the problem when my camera is on my aircraft.

Oh that was strange, then it's hard to know if it is the camera that has problems or the aircraft?
I guess if the problem was the aircraft your friends camera should had the problem as well when tested on your aircraft?

But as i mentioned earlier there can maybe be a difference between the i1 and i2 even though our problems looks the same since the i1 does all the camera processing inside the camera while the i2 makes the processing inside the aircraft as far as I have understood?

A few knowledgeable people has said that my problems could be due to a faulty sensor in the camera, don't know if that's true?

I had a similar problem where white dots showed up on video and red dots like this on photos. DJI replaces the video board.

I had a similar problem where white dots showed up on video and red dots like this on photos. DJI replaces the video board.

Okay, is that a board on the camera or on the craft, or do you mean the HD video downlink board on the remote controller?

I don´t know why it should be something on the craft or the remote controller since the problem shows up on the recorded video on the micro SD card, and as far as i know all video processing takes place directly on the X3 camera on the I1?

But my problem also shows directly on the mobile phone screen.

Last edited:
Okay, is that a board on the camera or on the craft, or do you mean the HD video downlink board on the remote controller?

I don´t know why it should be something on the craft or the remote controller since the problem shows up on the recorded video on the micro SD card, and as far as i know all video processing takes place directly on the X3 camera on the I1?

It was the video board in the aircraft.

Did
It was the video board in the aircraft.

In the aircraft?? Didn't know that there were a video board in the aircraft, maybe it´s different on a Phantom, i have an Inspire 1?
Are you sure it wasn't the Lightbridge unit or the board on the gimbal?

Which aircraft was it, was it a phantom 3?

On the Phantom 4 it is a board in the shell. It compresses the video and writes it to the SD card. Probably the same on the inspire, but you can always ask DJI.

On the Phantom 4 it is a board in the shell. It compresses the video and writes it to the SD card. Probably the same on the inspire, but you can always ask DJI.

Okay, is the name of the board "video board"?

Actually I've heard that all the video processing is done inside the x3 camera on the inspire 1, but maybe I'm wrong?

Okay, is the name of the board "video board"?

Actually I've heard that all the video processing is done inside the x3 camera on the inspire 1, but maybe I'm wrong?
I don't remember what the actual name of the part on the bill was but I'm fairly certain that the processing is done in the aircraft not the camera on both drones.

I don't remember what the actual name of the part on the bill was but I'm fairly certain that the processing is done in the aircraft not the camera on both drones.

Okay i see.
Actually the Inspire 1 has all the processing done inside the x3 camera according to knowledgeable people, and that is also what i learnt a long time ago when the i1 was released.

The inspire 2 on the other hand has the processing done inside the aircraft.

Update: DJI swapped the camera for another one so it seems DJI found a problem on the camera? Don't know the exact fault though.

Turnaround time from that the camera left the store for the DJI service center located in another European country until i picked it up from the store again was only 8 days, DJI had it only for 1 day, unbelievable.

Well now i hope that this new camera works as it should, haven't flown it yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4