Version 2 of Zenmuse H3-2D?

Reaction score
MisterG said:
I happened to notice on the IntelligentUAS.com web site http://www.intelligentuas.com/DJI-Z...-for-Phantom-F450-F550-And-Other-Multicopters not that I'm interested in buying from them, that they are now indicating that they have in stock, a "VERSION 2 WITH NEW MOTORS".

Does anyone have more information on the "version 2"? Would be interested to know what the differences actually are.

Atlanta Hobby also has a V2 listed with an ETA of 8/30: http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/vi ... category=0

lilwheat said:
MisterG said:
I happened to notice on the IntelligentUAS.com web site http://www.intelligentuas.com/DJI-Z...-for-Phantom-F450-F550-And-Other-Multicopters not that I'm interested in buying from them, that they are now indicating that they have in stock, a "VERSION 2 WITH NEW MOTORS".

Does anyone have more information on the "version 2"? Would be interested to know what the differences actually are.

Atlanta Hobby also has a V2 listed with an ETA of 8/30: http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/vi ... category=0
My V2 is being installed as we speak along with the new upgrade board at ATL Hobby.

E

Thanks for this info posters - I was about to buy an original Zenmuse HD-3D gimbal today, from someone selling one privately that he never used. When I saw this news, I cancelled the arrangement. Feel bad for the seller, but AU$730 was too much to risk in the event of failure and then potential warranty issues (he bought direct from China).

Have passed on to a Phantom FB forum I also belong to.

Zenmuse version 2, hmmmm I didn't know i'd originally paid for the beta version. First it's the new board now new motors I wonder if they will come up with a lighter frame next. I so far have what I paid for which is a functioning gimbal so hopefully it will last as long as the new version. DJI really need to work on R&D.

boat chaser said:
Zenmuse version 2, hmmmm I didn't know i'd originally paid for the beta version. First it's the new board now new motors I wonder if they will come up with a lighter frame next. I so far have what I paid for which is a functioning gimbal so hopefully it will last as long as the new version. DJI really need to work on R&D.
I don't think it's the R&D so much, more the testing and potentially bringing a product to market prematurely. I do wonder what the beta testers did though and why it wasn't found then (or maybe it was).

MisterG said:

My 'v1' ZM H32D started acting up at the end of my 5th flight, with roll motor overheating and making high-pitched squealing sounds intermittently. Dealer exchanged it for 'v2' gimbal. The revised version has a few changes that I've noted so far:

1) Mounting plates are composite not aluminum. Lower plate is not threaded, but new gimbal foot is. So screws attaching gimbal to the lower plate install from the top side of the lower plate. The new plates seem rigid enough and may be a little lighter. I kept the aluminum top but had to use the plastic lower plate because of the new gimbal foot configuration.

2) The new GoPro retaining brace is also composite with threaded brass inserts.

3) Most significantly, the new motors appear to be similar to originals, but have larger (same diameter, but deeper) metal bells and don't have the brass-colored rings. Durability remains to be evaluated...

There may well be other differences as well, these are based upon what I learned during install and a single brief test flight this evening...

Steve

After seeing this post and checking out the ad, I contacted Bradatech, my dealer here in Canada. [By the way, as an aside, if you live in Canada or elsewhere for that matter, you can't go wrong purchasing from this company. They are excellent to deal with: helpful ... prompt ... prompt in answering all e-mails ... and prompt in getting your orders sent out ... free shipping ... 5 stars in my book!] He informed me that the Version 1 gimbal I have could be returned for Version 2 ... since I haven't installed it yet. Of course, I'll have to wait until Version 2 comes in ... no biggie, since I've been waiting on, first the PMU V2 and then the upgrade board and I'll have to cover the cost of shipping Version 1 back and paying to have Version 2 shipped out to me.

Now, I'm in a quandary. So, I sent this e-mail to DJI:

Hi,

I purchased the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal for the Phantom back in July. I haven’t installed it yet ... first I was waiting on the PMU V2 and then before that was in stock DJI introduced the upgrade board and my dealer suggested I wait for that instead. I did as he asked and now that board is in transit to me ... will be here early this week. However, I noticed a few days ago on the Phantom Pilots forum that DJI has now introduced Version 2 of the gimbal. I contacted my dealer and he said that since my gimbal hasn’t been installed yet ... still in its packaging ... I could return it for the new version. I pay the shipping for the return and for shipping the new one out to me.

My question is: Has the new Version 2 been introduced to address some of the problems that users of Version 1 have been experiencing and would you recommend that I take my dealer up on his offer. I must say that my exerience with the Phantom has been nothing but positive so far. I wouldn’t want to install Version 1 and have that positive experience ruined. I guess what I’d like to know is, do I have a better chance of success with Version 2 rather than Version 1.

Thank you.

Now, since I don't realistically expect DJI to answer that last question in the affirmative, I'd like to know what you guys think. Would you return it for Version 2, or not?

Thanks

Zircon said:
<snip>
Now, since I don't realistically expect DJI to answer that last question in the affirmative, I'd like to know what you guys think. Would you return it for Version 2, or not?

Thanks

Yes I would (and did), though since you've been waiting patiently so far, you could wait a little longer until those of us with new 'v2' gimbals have more time to evaluate them. In my case I was both distressed and pleased when my v1 began to show familiar signs of malfunction. Distressed because I was trying to keep it going, pleased because this would force me to deal with the possibility that hardware changes have improved durability. Since there are reports of folks with 50+ flights on v1 gimbals, there may be differences in individual units, so some v1 gimbals may function well for quite some time.

But overall it seems unlikely that v2 would be *worse* than v1, so I think the risk of exchanging now is low. Gimbals are finicky things, and no doubt we'll soon hear of v2 failures. However, after inspecting the v2 I have installed, the motors are different (and 'larger'). And fwiw, in two test flights neither motor has gotten hot to the touch. I will nevertheless treat this with care to avoid inducing hibernation mode insofar as possible.

Steve

Thanks for both your inputs! Really appreciate it. To me, it seems as if DJI wouldn't be introducing a Version 2 so soon after Version 1 if it didn't have something to do with the trouble users have been having with it. Seems like that would have happened years down the road ... if at all ... assuming there had been no or few problems. I don't think anything like that happened with Zenmuse's big brother, the Zenmuse Z15-G, did it? So, I think I agree with you. Not quite sure yet ... but pretty close. Everything considered, the odds are it should be a better unit. Might wait a day or two ... can't wait too long, though. Thanks again.

I think some of the cosmetic changes where in the pipeline but the issue with the motors were a outsourcing problem. Some of the motors were just fine but some had issues and poor Quality Control. Since they moved the motors to in house they went ahead and did the cosmetic changes.
About 6 flights with the V2 and so far so good.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, ladies and gentlemen, hope you're ready for this!!!

This is an e-mail that I received from DJI in response to the one that I sent concerning whether or not to replace my Zenmuse H3-2D Version 1 gimbal with Version 2 (see the letter I sent in an above post):

Dear *******,

I am sorry but we have never released a ZENMUSE H3-2D v2 so I don't
have answer for your question.

But we do have some suggestions for your use of this gimbal which will
keep your positive experience with dji products.

For enjoy your Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal during the flight, please kindly
read the manual and notice following points before you use it.

1. Please kindly visit the following site for manual, notes, assistant
software, firmware and driver of Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal:
http://www.dji-innovations.com/download ... downloads/

2. Please kindly make sure the firmware of IMU, GCU and CMU of Zenmuse
H3-2D Gimbal are upgraded to the latest version via the assistant
software V1.02. (Latest firmware version:IMU V1.2, GCU V1.4, CMU
V1.0);

3. Please kindly confirm the Gopro Hero3 camera is correctly connected
to the Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal before the Gimbal is powered on;

4. Please kindly notice that no external force is allowed on Zenmuse
H3-2D Gimbal during the process of self-checking and in normal use;

What do you make of that? Classic case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing? The absolute truth and there is no Version 2? Or, what? My dealer seems to think there is a Version 2. Told me he doesn't know if it will be in his next shipment or not.

This stuff keeps getting weirder and weirder

Every time I think DJI might be getting there act together I see something like this.
I know for a Fact that there are changes between the 1st batch and the 2nd batch.
Dealers ( certified DJI dealers) are calling the 2nd batch V2.
I swear, it must be a Chinese thing. Who the hell knows.
There are folks who are getting free replacements.

Good lord.

Did that come from DJI USA or China?

E

Does anyone have a phone number for DJI USA?
Surely there is a number to call Collin for appearances to market thus stuff.

We are a growning consumer base. We matter.

E

I am in the same exact same boat; I received my zenmuse mid July and have not installed yet and knowing what you guys have brought to light I don't know whether to keep it or return it. As of today I have been given the go ahead from Dronefly.com to return it for exchange for the next batch or V2 (they said it would be 2-3 weeks). I had been waiting for the Phantom Upgrade Kit to arrive and it did this past weekend, and was going to move forward with installing both on my Phantom. Then I stumbled onto your post here and cannot decide whether to return or keep what I have and give it a try...I feel torn...it sounds like you guys you would side with returning and hope for the best with V2 or whatever they end up calling it right? Thanks.

Definitely want to exchange for the version 2. My 2 cents. I received mine in July and the tilt motor fried after only 12 flights. The video off the gimbal is amazing but obviously you don't want it to fail unexpectedly which it will. I sent it back to B&H Photo and they are sending me a new one which I will verify is the new version before I install it. Now that other folks have given info about the new one.

Two other things I would suggest to avoid frying the new one:
1. Get taller landing gear to keep the gimbal from contacting the grass. I just purchased the Simensays foldable landing gear you can cut your carbon fiber rod to your desired length. I also like this gear to remove the gear from the video otherwise it pops in from time to time. Using the stock gear is fine if you take off and land on flat or paved surface but as soon as you set it on the lawn the camera will contact the grass enough to stall the gimbal.
2. Turn the camera on/press record either before you plug in the phantom or use the wifi app or remote. This way you avoid stressing the gimbal while it's powered up. Just pressing the buttons on the camera is enough to stall the gimbal. When you stall the gimbal that's when it heats up and hibernates or burns up.

PeterMac48 said:
Definitely want to exchange for the version 2. My 2 cents. I received mine in July and the tilt motor fried after only 12 flights. The video off the gimbal is amazing but obviously you don't want it to fail unexpectedly which it will. I sent it back to B&H Photo and they are sending me a new one which I will verify is the new version before I install it. Now that other folks have given info about the new one.

1. Get taller landing gear to keep the gimbal from contacting the grass. I just purchased the Simensays foldable landing gear you can cut your carbon fiber rod to your desired length. I also like this gear to remove the gear from the video otherwise it pops in from time to time. Using the stock gear is fine if you take off and land on flat or paved surface but as soon as you set it on the lawn the camera will contact the grass enough to stall the gimbal.
2. Turn the camera on/press record either before you plug in the phantom or use the wifi app or remote. This way you avoid stressing the gimbal while it's powered up. Just pressing the buttons on the camera is enough to stall the gimbal. When you stall the gimbal that's when it heats up and hibernates or burns up.

+1 except I would stay away from wifi completely. If you forget to turn it off before lift off you may have a issue.

E

Zircon said:
Well, ladies and gentlemen, hope you're ready for this!!!

This is an e-mail that I received from DJI in response to the one that I sent concerning whether or not to replace my Zenmuse H3-2D Version 1 gimbal with Version 2 (see the letter I sent in an above post):

Dear *******,

I am sorry but we have never released a ZENMUSE H3-2D v2 so I don't
have answer for your question.

But we do have some suggestions for your use of this gimbal which will
keep your positive experience with dji products.

For enjoy your Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal during the flight, please kindly
read the manual and notice following points before you use it.

1. Please kindly visit the following site for manual, notes, assistant
software, firmware and driver of Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal:
http://www.dji-innovations.com/download ... downloads/

2. Please kindly make sure the firmware of IMU, GCU and CMU of Zenmuse
H3-2D Gimbal are upgraded to the latest version via the assistant
software V1.02. (Latest firmware version:IMU V1.2, GCU V1.4, CMU
V1.0);

3. Please kindly confirm the Gopro Hero3 camera is correctly connected
to the Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal before the Gimbal is powered on;

4. Please kindly notice that no external force is allowed on Zenmuse
H3-2D Gimbal during the process of self-checking and in normal use;

What do you make of that? Classic case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing? The absolute truth and there is no Version 2? Or, what? My dealer seems to think there is a Version 2. Told me he doesn't know if it will be in his next shipment or not.

This stuff keeps getting weirder and weirder

Well I'm impressed that DJI responded at all. The advice provided is certainly reasonable. Hard to tell if there is a lack of communication/awareness or if the 'official position' is that there is no [formal] new version. FYI, on some other boards comments have been made that the changes are just cosmetic (to me that is simply incorrect, the changes are more than just 'cosmetic') and that they're more like 'v1.1' type changes, not 'v2.0' type changes (that's not an unreasonable assessment but for now I'm sticking with 'v2' for consistency).

At present all I know for sure is that:

1) some 'hardware' changes have been made including physically (slightly) larger motors with different indicia (strongly indicating a different source)

2) these changes are being described by some dealers as 'v2', but probably not by DJI

3) to date, there is insufficient collective experience upon which to base any assessment regarding improved durability (or lack thereof).

So, quite literally, time will tell...

Steve

PeterMac48 said:

Really excellent points, agree 100%. I have the non-folding Simensays landing gear but have not installed them yet. I thought carbon tube would be readily available locally, but it's not. I'm debating going with smaller carbon rod vs. aluminum tubing (thin walled, probaly not much different in wt vs. carbon tube).

Once the Zen is attached, landing site becomes much more of an issue. In the few flights I have so far with Zen v2, I've been able to hover in place and simply hold the landing gear while I shut down. But that isn't the safest approach, especially if there's wind. I'm mulling over design options for a portable landing surface that folds up small, but deploys to provide a reasonably sized target LZ.

Steve

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20