Venom battery alarm on Dji phantom

Reaction score
What setting is your battery alarm set to go off if you have an audible battery alarm mounted to your phantom..

I did 3.6 v

Or should it be set to 3.7v?

I think 3.6 is too low. When the cells are down to 3.7 you would on a good batterypack have used close to 80% of the capasity of the pack, that means land and change packs :)
The alarm will poosibly sound on hard climbouts, I have seen the red flash now and then on the LED, but when it starts sounding permanent you should land so you dont ruin the pack.

telecaster said:
I think 3.6 is too low. When the cells are down to 3.7 you would on a good batterypack have used close to 80% of the capasity of the pack, that means land and change packs :)
The alarm will poosibly sound on hard climbouts, I have seen the red flash now and then on the LED, but when it starts sounding permanent you should land so you dont ruin the pack.

+1. My low batt alarm starts a big noise buzz at 3.8 so always i have time to land. Also, I added a timer over my TX. My average flight time is 6 minutes on timer. Another "life saver" for phnatom and batteries. ;)

http://dx.com/p/2-in-1-1-8s-lipo-ba...er-alarm-for-rc-helicopter-white-black-180468
sku_180468_1.jpg

I use my iPhone as a timer, set on 9 minutes. I fly often hard in manual mode and
for instance yesterday I had 5 completely manual flights, I used around 1730 to 1770 mA
on each pack, flying in wind. Thats inside the 80% usage window the LiPo guys state
as the safe area.
That means you could easily change to 8 mins an still be very safe, 6 mins are a bit too
short, its smart to be on the safe side, but I guess you are a little "too" safe :)

telecaster said:
I use my iPhone as a timer, set on 9 minutes. I fly often hard in manual mode and
for instance yesterday I had 5 completely manual flights, I used around 1730 to 1770 mA
on each pack, flying in wind. Thats inside the 80% usage window the LiPo guys state
as the safe area.
That means you could easily change to 8 mins an still be very safe, 6 mins are a bit too
short, its smart to be on the safe side, but I guess you are a little "too" safe :)

My mark went from 9 to 6 because weight not for "too safe". My phantom carries Gopro hero3 Black inside heavier waterproof case ( more heavy but also more stable for filming) + Sony FPV minicam + OSD + Extra orientation lights. So 6 minutes are low enough for safe return and land :lol:

telecaster said:

so set it to 3.7 ?

darkhorse said:
On my Traxxas ERevo, for 3S cells, they recommend a low voltage warning of 3.4v. Why is 3.7v recommended on the Phantom?

low voltage phase 1 starts at 10.7 v loaded according to naza software, and level 2 protection (landing) is 10.6

so:

3.6x3= 10.8 which i thought is fine, however some members are trying to say it should be 3.7v which im still waiting on an official answer....

edit either way buy an alarm its easier to hear it than looking for the led blinks while flying IMO.

I bought a nice unit made by venom for 4$ shipped on ebay..

darkhorse said:
On my Traxxas ERevo, for 3S cells, they recommend a low voltage warning of 3.4v. Why is 3.7v recommended on the Phantom?

The easiest answer is that your Traxxas is on the ground all the time, it will not
fall from the sky in case the battery is empty :)
The next reply would be that is basically two things to look out for when using
LiPopacks.
#1 never use more than 80% of the capasity, and
#2 Never EVER come lower than 3.2 Volts per cell.

This two things does not happen at the same time, sadly. A High quality LiPo pack
keeps the volts up for a long time so when you have used most of the juice inside
and has come down to 20% left it can still show a high voltage, if you continue to
use that pack it will suddely drop in voltage, so will your PHANTOM, end of story.

Thats why I would put the beeper on 3.7, that gives me quite a good amount of
time to bring the bird home and land.

When i connect my packs to the charger they usually shows around 3.65 to 3.75 V
even if I have used 1700+ mA. I use good quality packs.

Also remember that LiPopacks behave differently when its cold, and stay safe, never
charge them and leave the room, and if you dont care for LiPo safty bags, at
least charge them on some firesafe material. They smell really bad when they
pop, and you cant put out the fire with an fire extinguisher..........

Capodrone said:
ok 3.7 it is ! :mrgreen:

I forgot to say that I put the timer on 9 minutes, some people prefer 8 mins,
depends on your flying style and packsize, and that has worked fine for me.
I keep track of how much I charge back on each pack, so I know for sure
it works ok for me.

slugger said:
Dumb question.....how do you change the alarm settings?

If you're asking about Phantom red lights for low voltage... it is made on Naza Assistant, giving battery values than trigger low voltage red ligths sequence and also forcing landing after some tiem after.

If yo're asking about "alarm", we'll use to have a cellphonne timer alarm or additional timer to meassure flight times and "buzz" louder when times's up. In my timer the mark is 6 minutes because i fly with 2 cameras and heavy GoPro waterproofcase for stable video shot.

Finally, you can have a mini low voltager meter connected to Phantom battery. It can just show voltage or start a loud buzz sound when voltage is lower than the settings you did.
ye-0014_rcmart_021.jpg

1-8s-lipo-battery-buzzer-alarm.jpg

slugger said:
How do you adjust the "Buzzer" setting.....?

Thanks
slugger
It has a small button. Each time you press it it increment by 0.1 volt from 1.5 to 4.0 ( my model). The one you choose will be set as the lower mark for alarm.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic