Various configs including FPV for FC40

Reaction score
Ive owned a FC40 for about 9 months now and it's a great little machine. However, it has been learning curve over the summer months. having lost 2, with one recovered undamaged the next day, and one found 4 months later ploughed into a field (minus gopro, ouch!) but still with a working NAZA controller and PMU.

I have the SJ4000 camera installed and the 2-axis brusless gimbal. Using stock batteries I have got some great videos and about 12min flying time. Also during the summer I have experimented with various FPV setups with the mini iOSD and PMU. The problem I have found is, the weight power drain. My latest experiment was to add a boscam TS352 extra power transmitter, a mini iOSD, PMU, extra 2200 battery and SJ4000 camera and gimbal. Basically this configuration is just too heavy coming in over 1300g resulting in instability. So next I tried with just the stock 2200 battery. This got me below the weight but the high power transmitter was draining the battery within about three minutes as it also has a cooling fan. I'm now putting back the low power boscam transmitter. However, the bottom line is there is only so much you can do with the stock FC40 motor/ESC setup if you also want a gimbal/camera and IOSD. I noticed that DJI have just come up with some new motors, ESC's and props that may extend flight time but I can't see it getting past 12 min. What I would like to know is how the vision gets 25min flight time? Are the motors ESC a higher spec? I know the battery is a higher rating in phantom 2 vision +, but 25mins. Finally has anybody had a play around with eCalc to calculate flight time for various phantom components. Once you start getting into the variables of flight dynamics for quads this does become rocket science. Cheers, John

Update - just tried floor test with props, high power TS352 video transmitter, 2200 battery and I mananged to keep it running for well over 12 mins. However, using the telemetry from the iOSD I noticed at times where I was applying high power the voltage dropped temporary below the 11.2 threshold. In flight this would have triggered the failsafe, so maybe the power setting is too high. I might try a field test tomorrow at low attitude with the power failsafe turned off as I'm now thinking the TS352 video transmitter so is not so much of a drain as I first thought.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers