Variable ND Filter ND2 to 400

I'm on variable filter and always shot with dlog. I noticed that the color from my videos were so washed out. More effort needed in grading. Possibly the filter causing this?

DLOG is supposed to be more flat (aka "washed out") to give you more dynamic range. This is something you correct in post. That said, it could be enhanced by the filter as well. Best way to find out is to take some footage with and some without the filter and compare those.

If you want cinematic footage ideally you need to be capturing at 24fps with a shutter speed of 50. I have a few ND gels as well as a ND Variable and I tend to use my NDV more because of the flexibility in adjustment. Yes, if you close it down all the way you will get the black X. I marked my NDV around the rim with a gold pen to show the acceptable range of filtering, then if I have to go past the gold mark I either dont use the NDV or add the ND gel behind the NDV and work from there. It should be noted that NDV's can have some optical distortion. Your images or video may "soften" or appear out of focus. Sometimes all over or sometimes in spots depending on the quality of the NDV glass. Cheaper NDV show this up. I have the neweer ND variable and its pretty good. Optically its great, almost as good as the expensive NDV I use on my DSDR for a quarter the price.

I bought a variable Neewer ND filter offav Amazon.. Not good results.. Got a section of sky (about 40%) on landscape stills that was a dark blob.. Nice either side, then this upside-down hill shaped blob ruining the shot.. Think I deleted them all but if I find one I'll post it [emoji106] as someone above said, you get what you pay for.. In this case I payed for cheap crap [emoji849][emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here the examples.. If I'm doing something wrong someone please enlighten me !
c66c59e28c133a9a5b567e09fb1455bc.jpg

3dd1feef7cef0ef934872174d3fe7c4f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

And I'll be getting some gels [emoji106][emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I find best with a NDV, using your eye, set it to the brightest setting and make a mark on the outer edge of the barrel at that point, then turn it to its darkest so you get the black x then dial it back just till the X is gone then make a second mark on the barrel at that point. That gives you your effective working range.

Reactions: Stoo1701
I have polar pro ND filters and the Neewer circular polarizing ND variable filter. I like both, but the Neewer CP NDv filter gets some dark spots. Watch this video and notice the darkened areas of sky (top left vs. top right). I do not recommend CP NDv filters for anything other than capturing quick action shots in changing conditions. If you want better quality with no difference in exposure throughout the frame, its best to use a single ND filter.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31