Variable ND filter dark and bright parts !?

Reaction score
I have tried today to make some videos and then I have noticed these brught and dark parts of the video. Is that the oroblem with variable ND or something else ? Settings were on Auto.

I think that the problem could be double glass on variable ND filter but I dont know for sure. In some way it looks great but that is no the look I was after.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 378
Never used a variable ND, but as far as I know they are made of 2 polarizers put together, and polarizers are sensitive to the light direction, so it could be related to this (or the quality of the filter).

I think you might be right. Will try next time with ND16 and hope for the best. They are Neewer and they are great quality but this may be the only negative that variable ND has.

I think you might be right. Will try next time with ND16 and hope for the best. They are Neewer and they are great quality but this may be the only negative that variable ND has.

Nice effect anyway, at first glance I thought it was a toy or some miniature..

Reactions: Karanba
That was video and it really looks like a pro but I was planning to make normal video :)

What you have here is common when polarizers are used with wide angle lenses. The strongest effect is 90° away from the sun and since your drone's camera is so wide, you will have some areas of the frame in or close to max effect and the other lest effect. With variable ND filters, you basically have two polarizers cancelling each other out to increase/decrease the darkening effect.

If you look at the shadow, the sun is almost behind the tractor and the two darkest areas are approx 90° to the sun.

Makes for a cool effect in this shot though.

Reactions: Karanba

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie