Vancouver Canada Class D & E Airspace

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I'm a bit confused about the rules - obviously the normal transit Canada guidelines apply (below 90m, 9km for airports heliports etc, etc). It didn't seem to explicitly say the rules in the different class airspaces, so I was wondering if anybody could clarify.

Is there any way to fly in a Class D airspace (because I live in one) by contacting ATC (Also don't know how to get in touch with them). In the US it was a bit simpler, for the smaller airports, we could just call and give notice, but I'm not sure we do that since there are few airports and just congested areas it seems. Seems like its best to just keep out, but it also seems silly that we can't fly in a Class D when we're flying less than 20 meters AGL.

Thanks.

J

Can't fly anywhere except wide open, no buildings or people, G airspace. Anywhere else needs - Drone Ground School, plus $100,000 insurance, plus a SFOC from Transport Canada 20 days in advance. Then you need to notify ATC.

If flying a Phantom...

Technically - if you are flying as a hobbyist (not the correct technical term for Canada but it will do for this example)in general - No.

If you want to follow the "new" Marc Garneau rules - definitely No for ANY airspace class if you are closer than 75 m from buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals (yes fish, rats and squirrels are animals), people/crowds, closer than nine km from the centre of an aerodrome (any airport, heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land) within controlled or restricted airspace or where it could interfere with police or first responders.

If you look at an "airmap" of Vancouver I don't think it is possible to legally fly within the city, especially if you factor in the "new" laws (or regulations or whatever you want to call them)

Realistically - Keeping in mind your distance from an airport, proximity to people (especially groups) and buildings, yes you should be able to do low level flights (under 200 feet). Will the police come and arrest you if you are doing this - doubtful, unless you are repeatedly flying in the same area and upsetting people.

I personally have no problem with intelligent people flying safely in their back yard or in vacant areas. Not saying that it is lawful.

What about the fact that you have to be logged in to take off now (DJI)? Isn't there now a record of all your 'illegal' flights?

If flying a Phantom...
Realistically - Keeping in mind your distance from an airport, proximity to people (especially groups) and buildings, yes you should be able to do low level flights (under 200 feet). Will the police come and arrest you if you are doing this - doubtful, unless you are repeatedly flying in the same area and upsetting people.

I personally have no problem with intelligent people flying safely in their back yard or in vacant areas. Not saying that it is lawful.

Always (for a long time anyways) has been records of your flights. Your phone (or tablet) spends its whole time connected to DJI - whether it's logged in or not (unless you have frozen or disabled the app) whether you are flying or not, logged in or not. There is also a record of all your flights in multiple locations on your device. I can't imagine that Canadian officials can access what is on DJI's servers but I guess they could get a warrant to seize your phone if something serious happened (terrorist plot or accidental downing of a commercial aircraft) but otherwise I don't think it's likely.

The interim orders (or whatever they are calling it legally) is so full of holes and poorly written that I can't see it meeting the standards of law if challenged. Seems to be more of a political thing and a scare tactic to try to keep things under control. Now they can say they did something if questioned. I'm sure tighter and properly written laws are on their way in the near future. They will probably still be garbage and hard to enforce but it will make non "drone" people happy.

Fly sensible and safe, use common sense and be respectful of others - whatever the laws are.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic