Valuable Lessons Learned Tonight...

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'll have a cliffnoted version at the bottom for people that don't want the whole story.

Anyways, I was sitting in the computer room bidding on some auctions and heard my dog going absolutely crazy! Went to see what was going on, and saw 2 hot air balloons flying over our development. I raced back into the room, grabbed my P3 case, and ran outside to film.

By the time I got everything on, the GPS home lock, and compass calibrated, they were probably 5000 feet away from me. My dad walked outside and asked if we should hop in a car to follow them. I laughed, knowing the the P3 could cover that distance in no time at all.

I hit record on the DJI Pilot app, and blasted off after them. Within a few minutes I was out flying around them. I followed them for probably 5 minutes, thinking I was filming the whole time. Eventually I thought to look for my recording time, and realized none of it had been recorded! I either didn't push the button, or the command didn't take!

So this time I made sure to hit record, and I continued following them for about 30 more seconds before my phone died. I use a Samsung Galaxy S4 and never charge it. I just charge it from the controller when I fly. Tonight I learned that the power coming into the phone from the P3 controller is exceeded by the power drawn by the Pilot App.

My phone shut off and wouldn't turn back on. I was about 9000 feet away with 55% ish battery life left. So I got bold and hit RTH, never having used it before.

As the controller started beeping, I began counting while hoping to hear the familiar sound of a buzzing P3 in range. Eventually she came home and landed beautifully. I was so happy to see it work!

Cliffnotes:
-Hear Dog going crazy
-Look out window
-See hot air balloons
-Run outside, setup P3
-Think I hit record, but didn't really
-Chase balloons
-Realize I wasn't recording, miss out on cool footage
-Start recording
-Phone dies, won't turn back on
-Initiate RTH
-P3 comes home beautifully

Lessons learned:

1) Always make sure that the camera is recording, even if you think you hit the button.
2) The P3 controller does not supply enough power to a phone to keep it charging if the phone has low or no battery.

And here's the video I did get of the balloons:

You can see when my phone shuts down and before I hit RTH, because the camera just stays in place. I was pretty impressed by how steady it was while sitting up there.

Reactions: Skip holden
Have to admit that forgetting to start the recording button has happened on many many phantom flights since my first vision, then on to my P2v+ but only once on the P3P. The good news is you stayed frosty enough to have set the home point before launching. Congrats. Still a pretty nice video.

Reactions: claws
Hey all!
Cliffnotes:
-Hear Dog going crazy
-Look out window
-See hot air balloons
-Run outside, setup P3
-Think I hit record, but didn't really
-Chase balloons
-Realize I wasn't recording, miss out on cool footage
-Start recording
-Phone dies, won't turn back on
-Initiate RTH
-P3 comes home beautifully

Lessons learned:

1) Always make sure that the camera is recording, even if you think you hit the button.
2) The P3 controller does not supply enough power to a phone to keep it charging if the phone has low or no battery.

And here's the video I did get of the balloons:

You can see when my phone shuts down and before I hit RTH, because the camera just stays in place. I was pretty impressed by how steady it was while sitting up there.

Here is part of what you missed ;)

Reactions: JKaddouri
Have to admit that forgetting to start the recording button has happened on many many phantom flights since my first vision, then on to my P2v+ but only once on the P3P. The good news is you stayed frosty enough to have set the home point before launching. Congrats. Still a pretty nice video.

I don't think I forgot. I think the app didn't take it.

I've had problems in the past where I'll hit the button and it won't record, then I press it a few more times and end up with like three 1 second clips on the card at the end, before having 1 solid clip of what I meant to film.

Here is part of what you missed ;)

Yeah that's exactly the type of view I had before I started recording :(

I'm going to the business in my town to ask if I can fly around and video tape them more in the future.

Is that your video? It's really nice! I saw it on the recommended videos after my own.

I don't think I forgot. I think the app didn't take it.

I've had problems in the past where I'll hit the button and it won't record, then I press it a few more times and end up with like three 1 second clips on the card at the end, before having 1 solid clip of what I meant to film.

Yeah that's exactly the type of view I had before I started recording :(

I'm going to the business in my town to ask if I can fly around and video tape them more in the future.

Is that your video? It's really nice! I saw it on the recommended videos after my own.
yea Im getting much better this was shot in my first 10 flight

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik