V3 Remote Range?

Reaction score
I've done the antenna mod on my old Remote and on my new V3 remote. I added a pair of external 3dbi antenna to the drone for WiFi. That has much improved the video signal and increased the number of sats (by moving the 2.4ghz signal outside the drone body). But ever since I've done that I think I've lost a lot of range. My old record was 6233 feet while perched on top of a hill out over a big lake in a very rural setting.

Normally I drop control signal long before I drop video so I really don't know why I bothered with the video antenna on the drone. Just seemed like a super easy mod.

Today I wanted to do some testing and see if I've messed anything up. I've got 3 antenna.

With the 9dbi TP-LINK TL-ANT2408CL on the old remote I got 2700' at 200' off the ground over wide open desert.

With the 9dbi TP-LINK TL-ANT2408CL on the NEW V3 remote I only got 2000' at the same 200' off the ground over wide open desert.

I ran the test three times on both and it was consistent. The new remote has 700' less range. Has anyone else who upgraded noticed a drop in range or did I mess up the mod somehow?

I switched to my 5dbi TP-LINK TL-ANT2405CL and got the exact same result! I would have thought the other bigger antenna would give me a lot more range but it didn't make any difference. Crazy!

Finally for fun I moved to my el-cheap-o Ebay special - an 11dbi flat panel - got 3500' before I lost video. I kept on with the remote throttle forward for a bit then hit the RTH switch. I got video back at 3700' so I think the bird was still receiving the 5.8ghz control signal and I'd just overflown the video signal distance. This was on the new V3 remote. I ran out of time so no test on the old remote.

In all cases my range was better than the normal 500m (1640') range that DJI claims but it's far off my record.

I'm thinking either the new remote has less power or I've screwed up something when I did the antenna mod or possibly the 3dbi antenna are messing with the control signal.

Tomorrow I'm going to remove the external WiFi antenna mod from my drone and test again.

range.jpg

IMG_20150323_104818.jpg

The gain dBi is derived by making the antenna more directional in that some area(s) will have reduced sensitivity and others increased. i.e. " You don't get something for nothing".

It's possible your orientation is not ideal.
Look at the page linked below, specifically the upper graph/chart on page two, the 'E' plane.

ftp://ftp.dlinkla.com/pub/DWL-50AT/DATA ... L-50AT.pdf

The upper chart shows how the top and bottom lobes have been moved in closer to the center. Sensitivity is reduced on in those sections in order to increase the gain in the left and right lobes where they are extended farther from the center.

I noticed that both the old and new remote are rated at 11 dBm. From what I can tell that means the units are rated as identical at 11W (?). So I've messed up something internally on the V3 remote (or it was made late on a Friday afternoon up on the Mother Ship). Probably the connector I put in the new one has a wire that's cheap or too long or too short or something... *sigh* I think I lucked out when I bought that original wire. If I can't find the identical wire I guess I could move that wire to the new remote.

The equivalent wattage can be found in the table on this page.

http://www.cpcstech.com/dbm-to-watt-con ... mation.htm

Note that every time you add 3dB you double the power.

Also the text below the chart is not referenced for R/C products but the table is correct for dBm to wattage conversions.

rbhamilton said:
I've done the antenna mod on my old Remote and on my new V3 remote. I added a pair of external 3dbi antenna to the drone for WiFi. That has much improved the video signal and increased the number of sats (by moving the 2.4ghz signal outside the drone body). But ever since I've done that I think I've lost a lot of range. My old record was 6233 feet while perched on top of a hill out over a big lake in a very rural setting.

Normally I drop control signal long before I drop video so I really don't know why I bothered with the video antenna on the drone. Just seemed like a super easy mod.

Today I wanted to do some testing and see if I've messed anything up. I've got 3 antenna.

With the 9dbi TP-LINK TL-ANT2408CL on the old remote I got 2700' at 200' off the ground over wide open desert.

With the 9dbi TP-LINK TL-ANT2408CL on the NEW V3 remote I only got 2000' at the same 200' off the ground over wide open desert.

I ran the test three times on both and it was consistent. The new remote has 700' less range. Has anyone else who upgraded noticed a drop in range or did I mess up the mod somehow?

I switched to my 5dbi TP-LINK TL-ANT2405CL and got the exact same result! I would have thought the other bigger antenna would give me a lot more range but it didn't make any difference. Crazy!

Finally for fun I moved to my el-cheap-o Ebay special - an 11dbi flat panel - got 3500' before I lost video. I kept on with the remote throttle forward for a bit then hit the RTH switch. I got video back at 3700' so I think the bird was still receiving the 5.8ghz control signal and I'd just overflown the video signal distance. This was on the new V3 remote. I ran out of time so no test on the old remote.

In all cases my range was better than the normal 500m (1640') range that DJI claims but it's far off my record.

I'm thinking either the new remote has less power or I've screwed up something when I did the antenna mod or possibly the 3dbi antenna are messing with the control signal.

Tomorrow I'm going to remove the external WiFi antenna mod from my drone and test again.

range.jpg

IMG_20150323_104818.jpg

I posted about this same thing a month or so back had about same results as you only even more power lose now I control my camera better but many times lose control before I used to

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34987#p323166

skyhighdiver said:
I posted about this same thing a month or so back had about same results as you only even more power lose now I control my camera better but many times lose control before I used to

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34987#p323166

Weird! You would think a bunch of people would have upgraded by now. If there was a constant loss of 700 to 1400 feet people should be screaming. Maybe we are just the two unlucky ones?

rbhamilton said:
This was on the new V3 remote. I ran out of time so no test on the old remote.

What was the range with your stock TX V3 setup? So far with my stock V3 I have only gotten 1680ft. Transmitter give out before video.

Prowler said:
rbhamilton said:
This was on the new V3 remote. I ran out of time so no test on the old remote.

What was the range with your stock TX V3 setup? So far with my stock V3 I have only gotten 1680ft. Transmitter give out before video.

I should have tested the heck out of it before modding but I didn't. Just a quick flight to make sure it worked then I did the antenna mod.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic