V3.0 worth the extra money?

Reaction score
I've been debating whether to get the newest V3.0 Phantom 2 Vision+ but can't find good reason to fork up the extra $200 (on Amazon the older version is selling for $1099 versus $1299). More powerful motors and better propellers don't mean much to me since I think the Phantom is pretty responsive with the previous version. Rechargeable transmitter and shielded compass are nice to have too but not worth the extra money.

Am I missing anything else that would justify the extra cost of the V3.0?

I agree the Phantom Vision + V3 on the surface seems to have minor upgrades, as you indicated bigger motors, ESC and higher thrust props. But the main improvement is what they did to the GPS, and wiring for the video, no more interferance when you start to video. :D Also the new contoller has the built in camera tilt controll which is very nice when you filming anf trying to fly. :lol:

Unless the gimbal tilt is important for you, the only change that makes any difference is that they gave the V3 the proper shielding of the GPS unit that owners have been doing themselves for the last 6 months. You definitely need to do the foil mod if you buy the earlier model.

Not even DJI have been able to explain any benefit from the new compass and the rechargeable Tx is no improvement. No user has reported that the new machine does anything faster or better - but most indicate slightly shorter flight times. Add that to the latest problems that too many owners have been reporting and the old version is looking very good.

Upgraded motors and matched ESCs and props, better GPS shielding with RF chokes, upgraded and cleaned up electronics layout (properly fitted GPS plug to main board), better compass, upgraded transmitter with several good features. Definitely a more mature version of the Vision+ and clearly worth $200.

The extra $200 is definitely worth it -- even more so since you'll end up paying much more than that if you try to convert the version 2 into a version 3.

However, after seeing all of the recent motor/ESC failures on the version 3, I'd be a little assistant to buy one right now.

I was in your same situation a few weeks ago trying to decide whether to buy the V2 or pay $200 extra for the V3. I decided to get the V3 (came with 3 sets of new props and 3 batteries) and I'm glad I did.

If I'm going to pay that much for something I might as well get the most updated one. I'm glad I did. I love it!

I bought the lipo remote controller for my V2, wanted to upgrade the motors and esc, but there are a number of horror story's, they all seem V3 related. Maybe never change a winning team??

Spend the extra money......go on you know you want too!!

You are best to check out the threads regarding the problems being encountered with the v3 motors before you buy.

We're finding out there may be problems with the cables on the new motors that solder down to the ESCs. They're much thinner cables and it appears as though the insulation may not be a robust as what one would deem safe in an aircraft. Apparently, though I haven't seen these wires personally, they resemble heat shrink material. If you look at DJI photos of the new motors you can notice that the diameter of these cables seem to be a bit inconsistent. Not entirely round from one end to the other. I would be cautious purchasing the new motors and ESCs until this is all sorted...

Check out this topic...
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32035

-slinger

I was about to pull the trigger on the new version of the vision+, but these horror stories are putting me off.

I am very pleased with my V2, although I did purchase the V3 RC (preferred rechargeable batteries), installed the new compass, and am flying 9450 props. For me, this has turned out to be a great configuration.

Perdidoflyer said:
I am very pleased with my V2, although I did purchase the V3 RC (preferred rechargeable batteries), installed the new compass, and am flying 9450 props. For me, this has turned out to be a great configuration.

I've done the same thing except for the new compass. Easy install? No probs?

Thanks...
-slinger

I was under the impression that the new compass wouldn't fit the V2's or is it just the V2plus they wont fit?

I installed the new compass in my V2+. It fits like a glove.

I do see a lot of users that get satisfaction from knowing they have the latest model but still not seeing anyone come up with anything the update Phantom does better - (beyond satellite reception).
Does anyone fly faster, further or get better battery life?
Someone mentioned compass improvement. Like what?
Does it point to a better north?

gunslinger said:
Perdidoflyer said:

I've done the same thing except for the new compass. Easy install? No probs?

Thanks...
-slinger

I was apprehensive, but install was easier than expected, in that the new compass came attached to a new "landing leg", (1/2 of landing gear), so while you do have to remove the top cover of the Phantom, and swap out that "landing leg", otherwise it is a plug connection, and what is provided is a complete assembly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.