v1.2.6 - Now flies like crap.

Hi fellows.

I'm totally newbie here. Found this yesterday and spend almost the whole night reading. Just want to thank all u ... really valuable information here ... I definitely will contribute my own experiences here when I have some.

But seems it's not that good idea to go version 1.2.6, better wait for the next one, as she files like a dream now...

Yeah, that was my own experience with my last P3P under the prior build. Rock steady everywhere for 10 flights, until it lost all connection to the Pilot app, which then also spontaneously rebooted, and then it also lost connection to the transmitter at 400' in the air, and plummetted to the ground during a vain attempt to reconnect to it, when, after 10 minutes, it still hadn't tried to return to home, and the battery was almost gone. The replacement P3P immediately prompted an update to 1.2.6 which has since trashed all semblance of stability. I'm afraid to fly it, after the last crash, which destroyed all 4 props, immediately upon launch to over 10 feet. I wouldn't update either, if I were you. Just be aware that there are bugs known to DJI in the prior build that can still cause a crash, too!

Last edited:
Reactions: AbsPapa
I had a phonecall with the german tech support. They say the issue is being worked on but has no ETA on the fix to be released yet. Hopefully soon!

Sounds like we should all be putting our P3P's on "ice" and grounding them until DJI fixes this! If it is now a known defect of the last firmware update, acknowledged by DJI, it would be negligent to fly! You risk both your rig and anything it destroys in its wake! Even if they are accepting warranty responsibility (doubtful, given their history), the hassle of waiting 2 months for repair and return is not worth the risk of flying now, when grounding the unit could lead to a fix within a week or two.

You sound like one of the few on here that has a head on his shoulders. You would think by listening to the scoldings I get for complaining about my defunct P3P on this forum, that they are relatives of DJI. The fact is that DJI has put out a less than perfect product. How much less than perfect depends on who you ask. Some have all kinds of things wrong with their craft and think I'm just a whiner for complaining.

You sound like one of the few on here that has a head on his shoulders. You would think by listening to the scoldings I get for complaining about my defunct P3P on this forum, that they are relatives of DJI. The fact is that DJI has put out a less than perfect product. How much less than perfect depends on who you ask. Some have all kinds of things wrong with their craft and think I'm just a whiner for complaining.
After reading a lot of the previous threads/posts (without previous comment), I will simply say the issue is less about what you're saying, but rather nearly 100% on how you've been presenting it. Level-headedness goes a long way, especially when dealing with people who try to help.

Last edited:
My ardent hope is that since everything was hunky dory (awesome stability) before the 1.2.6 FW update, another impending firmware update can restore it to its prior glory, even if it only rolls everything back to 1.1.9 until things can be properly sorted out.

Other than minor interim crashes with 1.2.6, the hardware itself is clearly solid, and just needs some minor software tweaking and bug fixing to restore whatever 1.2.6 broke.

Eagerly awaiting that tweaking, so I can get back to enjoying flying, without fear of being thrown back into manual mode at any moment. ;) It certainly challenges your flying skills!

you should probably make sure you are comfy with atti mode anyway. it can happen for several reasons out of your control even when the firmware is working perfectly.
best way to avoid "fly away" and crashes :)

you should probably make sure you are comfy with atti mode anyway. it can happen for several reasons out of your control even when the firmware is working perfectly.
best way to avoid "fly away" and crashes :)

Indeed, months of prior practice with a Syma X5 and X5C have saved my bacon with the P3P during multiple post update test flights, while trying all the helpful fixes to restore stabilty! Hand catching is also a major drone saver! So is the CSC! Limited the damage to props only, after the last crash, as I was able to stop the craft, out of sight on the roof, before the still spinning blades cartwheeled it another 20 feet further to the ground! Immediately upon lift off, it unexpectedly hooked wildly left. Had a much more stable test flight last night after IMU and Compass recalibration. Hoping to have the same shortly! :)

So I updated to v1.2.6 on my P3P and I regret doing it. Machine immediately gave me an IMU error after the update, so I calibrated the compass. Then I went to fly it and it will not stay in one spot like it used to. GPS mode is useless. Then I sent it up to 40' and it reported a sonar problem and told me to land as soon as possible. So I did.
I recalibrate again and did a short flight. After a manual lift-off, I used to be able to let go of the sticks and it would immediate stop and hover. Now, it just keeps going up. It drifts everywhere now. Again, like GPS mode doesn't work.
I used to love my Phantom 3 but now it's untrustworthy. Thanks DJI.
Anybody else seeing this issue?

I am having the EXACT same experience to a T. I have tried everything, reuploading 1.2.6 firmware. Text log says Abort, same or older firmware already on the phantom. I've tried several IMU recals. I spoke to DJI. First of all the most unprofessional customer service ever. I've never experienced customer service tech speak over me and interrupt me in that manner. No I didn't go postal on them, I stayed calm and respectful the whole way through.

While they acknowledged the fact that their firmware is messed up, all they offered me is to turn VPS off and do another IMU recal. That did not help at all. Of course they offered to let me send it back in. 3-5 weeks. F that. The gamble is will the firmware fix that they (BETTER) put out soon fix this erratic flight behavior, or am I wasting time by not sending it in? Anytime you have that instability, failure to hover, toilet bowling, etc, it is compass related. The big question is did the firmware update somehow cause hardware failure or will this all go away once DJI gets it together and patches this insane firmware update. For the record I know not all of you are having this experience with 1.2.6. If you look around you will see that a very significant number of us are. So let's go ahead and take user error off the table.

I was planning to get the Phantom 3 Pro, but with all the problems noted here on the forum, have decided to get a Yuneec Q500 Typhoon 4K instead

Reactions: AbsPapa
I had a phonecall with the german tech support. They say the issue is being worked on but has no ETA on the fix to be released yet. Hopefully soon!

If that is the case they should remove the firmware upgrade off their website

I have had my Phantom now for 3 weeks, but due to bad weather, I have yet to fly her. I did update to 1.1.9 when I first got her. I now know that I won't be updating the firmware. But, if the weather gets better, do you feel like it would be save to fly with the 1.1.9 firmware, or should I also wait?

Also, is it not possible for people to install 1.1.9 after the updated (go backwards in firmware)? I think from reading this thread, I know the answer to this.

I have had my Phantom now for 3 weeks, but due to bad weather, I have yet to fly her. I did update to 1.1.9 when I first got her. I now know that I won't be updating the firmware. But, if the weather gets better, do you feel like it would be save to fly with the 1.1.9 firmware, or should I also wait?

1.1.9 was rock solid for me. It was really just like a flying tripod that stayed wherever I put it.

I used to let it hover, unattended (after slowly building up confidence that it would actually stay there unattended), to get video of tennis practice:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also, is it not possible for people to install 1.1.9 after the updated (go backwards in firmware)? I think from reading this thread, I know the answer to this.

Unfortunately, no. I'm kicking myself for updating so quickly...

1.1.9 was rock solid for me. It was really just like a flying tripod that stayed wherever I put it.

I used to let it hover, unattended (after slowly building up confidence that it would actually stay there unattended), to get video of tennis practice:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Unfortunately, no. I'm kicking myself for updating so quickly...

If you are on iOS, Apple just released version 1.2.0 of the Pilot app yesterday. I am sure the 1.2.6 FW update was intended to be used with it, but Apple takes like 2 weeks to approve new updates, while DJI can distribute FW updates immediately. So, if you are on iOS, try the new 1.2.0 Pilot app. All my problems are now fixed! :D

If they had any professionalism whatsoever, they'd offer a roll-back patch immediately.

Things to try before blaming it all on DJI:

1. Update to the latest FW version on both P3 and transmitter and the 1.2.0 Pilot app on iOS.
2. Recalibrate IMU and Gimbal and Compass again, regardless of whether you are told they are necessary or not.
3. Make ABSOLUTELY certain your launch "pad" where your P3 warms up before flight is completely away from ANY METAL underneath and nearby.
4. Confirm in the Pilot app is that the pointer arrow on the Map agrees with the actual aircraft nose direction before launch. Same with the new Center Point reference in Camera View.
5. Use a clean surface for launching to prevent dirt, dust and debris from scratching the camera lens and being sucked into the motors and gimbal.
6. Hand catch your air craft upon landing whenever possible to avoid prop damage from tip overs and more dirt, dust, and debris from scratching the camera lens and motors and gimbal.
7. Bring your craft back with plenty of battery left to avoid any problems.
8. Carefully monitor the battery cells before launch and during flight by clicking on the battery percentage icon periodically.

Happy Hovering!

Reactions: TnHwyman
If you are on iOS, Apple just released version 1.2.0 of the Pilot app yesterday. I am sure the 1.2.6 FW update was intended to be used with it, but Apple takes like 2 weeks to approve new updates, while DJI can distribute FW updates immediately. So, if you are on iOS, try the new 1.2.0 Pilot app. All my problems are now fixed! :D

I'm on iOS and updated yesterday. Made no difference for me.

I'm on iOS and updated yesterday. Made no difference for me.

A couple of other app settings that I still have turned off that may be creating problems for you, if you are still having problems. I just haven't retested them yet to revet them. One is keeping VPS off (no adverse stabilty outdoors for me with it off) and turning off video caching (not sure what it is supposed to do, if on, but completely unnecessary), which keeps the bandwidth clean between the P3 and the transmitter and tablet.

As I recommended above, you must first recalibrate the IMU.
Then recalibrate the compass.
Then launch from a metal free area.

It works. If it isn't working, something else is likely going on that is unrelated to the FW update. The process, painful as it has been, has made a believer out of me!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31