v1.2.6 - Now flies like crap.

Do the IMU even if its saying its ok. and also try to get is as close to sitting perfectly level as you can when you do the IMU

Ok. So here are my findings.
I did the IMU calibration despite the fact that the software was reporting that none was required. Took about 7 minutes to complete. Then I went outside and did another compass calibration which was performed successfully.
Upon initial start, the software reported "Aircraft warming up" - whatever the hell that's suppose to mean. Never saw that before. Saw the satellites slowly begin to come in. This took about 1 minute to complete - never seen that before either. Finally the software reported that the home point had been recorded and then it reported that it was safe to fly in GPS-Mode.
Not trusting this machine, I decided to attach a very long piece of butcher's twine to one of the legs just in case it decided to take off on me.
I performed the stick movement and began a take off. It lifted off and seemed to hover in one spot - drifting a bit but not as bad as before. My confidence grew. I started performing small circles and figure-8's and then released the sticks abruptly and it no longer makes that harsh stop like it used to. I think they toned down the braking feature a bit. Still flying Ok at this point. Drifting slightly.
Then out of nowhere, it just wouldn't hold position. Just like before the IMU calibration. It started to climb slowly; I pulled the throttle stick down to reverse it's direction and now it started descend. So I landed. Took off again. Now it's back to the same behavior as before; continue's the climb, then if you arrest the climb in the opposite direction it continues to descend.
Something is now officially wrong with my machine and this firmware update. Let's just say that I am glad I had the string attached to it.
Suggestions?

hum thats pretty weird. was the VPS turned on or off when it it was doing this and also just out of curiosity what flight mode were you in???????

BTW there is a work around for that stupid aircraft warming up BS. It has some thing to do with the phantom needing to be up to what ever temp it was when ever the last IMU calibration was done. So what happens is a lot of people do a firmware update then an imu when the phantom is hot or when its hot out side. Then when ever you turn it on any time you want to fly it needs to warm back up to what ever temperature it needs to be to get as warm as it was when the imu was calibrated.

But here is the fix. Stick your phantom in the fridge for about 1/2 hour and let it get cool. THEN get every thing ready to go such as your battery and tablet and controller all turned on. Then pull it out of the fridge and as quick as you can turn it on and do the imu calibration again. and let it finish as fast as it can and before it gets much of a chance to heat back up... When I first got my p3 it was a hot day and i did it after the firmware up date so it was pretty warm and it would take about 3 freaken mins to ever be able to fly while it was saying air craft warming up. But after doing the fridge trick and an imu calibration. Any time I turn on the phantom and open the app by the time the app even gets done opening and the start up bee bee baleep sound is done its already warmed up and ready to fly tho It still takes a few more seconds to get enough gps sats to fly.

VPS was turned on. I was in GPS mode.
I did the IMU calibration in a very cool basement on my work bench. This flight took off on hot asphalt (my driveway).
I'm on the phone waiting for DJI technical support.

VPS was turned on. I was in GPS mode.
I did the IMU calibration in a very cool basement on my work bench. This flight took off on hot asphalt (my driveway).
I'm on the phone waiting for DJI technical support.
So does it behave similarly w/ VPS off?

Yes.
I got through to DJI US Support in California. I'm sending them the unit and they are paying for the shipping. They will repair/replace the unit under warrantee. The turn around will be 3-5 weeks!
Nothing I can do about it. It flies like crap and will not hold altitude despite repeated calibrations. He said that the IMU calibration should have addressed the issue.
I did send in a gimbal to DJI once and they sent me back a brand new refurbed unit that worked perfectly. So I'm sure they will do the right thing here.
It just plain sucks.

Reactions: AbsPapa
So I updated to v1.2.6 on my P3P and I regret doing it. Machine immediately gave me an IMU error after the update, so I calibrated the compass. Then I went to fly it and it will not stay in one spot like it used to. GPS mode is useless. Then I sent it up to 40' and it reported a sonar problem and told me to land as soon as possible. So I did.
I recalibrate again and did a short flight. After a manual lift-off, I used to be able to let go of the sticks and it would immediate stop and hover. Now, it just keeps going up. It drifts everywhere now. Again, like GPS mode doesn't work.
I used to love my Phantom 3 but now it's untrustworthy. Thanks DJI.
Anybody else seeing this issue?
OH yeah. Big time. Very unhappy with DJI.

Yes.
I got through to DJI US Support in California. I'm sending them the unit and they are paying for the shipping. They will repair/replace the unit under warrantee. The turn around will be 3-5 weeks!
Nothing I can do about it. It flies like crap and will not hold altitude despite repeated calibrations. He said that the IMU calibration should have addressed the issue.
I did send in a gimbal to DJI once and they sent me back a brand new refurbed unit that worked perfectly. So I'm sure they will do the right thing here.
It just plain sucks.
Boy. I feel your pain.

Haven't upgraded yet and have no plans to do so until there is a version most people don't have these serious problems. They will eventually get it right.

Does DJI used refurbished parts on NEW quads? I noticed several scuffs on my gimbal when I get it brand new out of the box... now that I have had all these issues, I am remembering these and wondering if DJI is taking broken p3s, repairing the parts and putting them into new phantoms?
Hey. We are dealing with the Red Chinese here. They can do anything they want. We Americans (or other free countries) have no recourse. Some American company needs to clone the P3 and sell it to Americans.

So I updated to v1.2.6 on my P3P and I regret doing it. Machine immediately gave me an IMU error after the update, so I calibrated the compass. Then I went to fly it and it will not stay in one spot like it used to. GPS mode is useless. Then I sent it up to 40' and it reported a sonar problem and told me to land as soon as possible. So I did.
I recalibrate again and did a short flight. After a manual lift-off, I used to be able to let go of the sticks and it would immediate stop and hover. Now, it just keeps going up. It drifts everywhere now. Again, like GPS mode doesn't work.
I used to love my Phantom 3 but now it's untrustworthy. Thanks DJI.
Anybody else seeing this issue?
Everything the same with my P3P :(

After the update, mine glitches a lot and was the cause of a crash because it went Rouge after auto lift off and drifted straight into a car and crashed. Additionally, I fly with it showing no signal on display because it will rarely calibrate and even if it does it just switches back to no signal or always displays to much magnetic interference - retry during calibration. I found that if it goes Rouge while in flight which it has a couple times, before it gets to far away I can engage the auto home and it will stop the erratic behavior and start heading towards home location and then I can disengage auto home and continue flying.

I just updated my firmware stupidly. It's now drifting way more than before. Exactly same settings.
Isn't it possible to flash back to previous firmware?

I just updated my firmware stupidly. It's now drifting way more than before. Exactly same settings.
Isn't it possible to flash back to previous firmware?
Not that I know of. I'm sending mine back to DJI LA for repairs. That's the only recourse that you have that I know of. Sad isn't it?

i wouldnt think there's anything broken with the actual thing.. all I can think of is that it's just not using it's vision positioning system as good as before. So apparently the firmware messed that up is my biggest guess. An update from DJI would help fix this issue without needing to send anything anywhere. Software cant really break hardware like that so easily I think.

Reactions: AbsPapa
i wouldnt think there's anything broken with the actual thing.. all I can think of is that it's just not using it's vision positioning system as good as before. So apparently the firmware messed that up is my biggest guess. An update from DJI would help fix this issue without needing to send anything anywhere. Software cant really break hardware like that so easily I think.
I feel your pain. I have tried everything my none expert brain came up with to resolve the issue before sending it in. I finally succumbed and am mailing mine back in. I don't know if it will come back repaired or worse. Or if it will come back at all. Don't know. We didn't ask for any of this dilemma. When we said "I do" and sent the money, it is what it is.

My P3P firmware upgrade works perfectly. The bird hovers 3 feet off the ground perfectly. It flys perfect too. I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but I used a Macbook Pro to download the firmware, and I use a iPhone 6+ as my tablet to fly it. In other words, I'm all Apple. Are the Apple people having problems too, or are just the PC/Android users having problems. I figured a lot of the big wheels that work for Apple have one of these drones, and if they had any problems with their all Apple setups, they would have complained about it to DJI. So lets hear if any all Apple users are having any problems.

The only problem that I am having is that my GPS map shows that I am flying backwards. I set the bird on the ground with the camera pointing away from me, and the GPS map on my phone shows that it is pointing at me. So when I take off and go forwards, the red arrow on the GPS map shows the bird going away from me, but it is pointing at me instead of away from me. It's probably a setting somewhere that I have to change, but I haven't figured it out yet. I always calibrate the compass on the drone and the phone before every flight. Besides that small glitch, the bird flies perfect with the latest firmware.

Are the Apple people having problems too, or are just the PC/Android users having problems. I figured a lot of the big wheels that work for Apple have one of these drones, and if they had any problems with their all Apple setups, they would have complained about it to DJI. So lets hear if any all Apple users are having any problems.
Neither in air stability nor firmware updates are O/S specific. App issues and app functionality are what differs between O/S

The only problem that I am having is that my GPS map shows that I am flying backwards.

That would typically be the compass on your device, what do you see if you open maps on the ipad for instance, are you pointed forward?

Haven't upgraded yet and have no plans to do so until there is a version most people don't have these serious problems. They will eventually get it right.
Might be the right thing to do. I had a straight charge across the yard and into the trampoline net just after the 1.2.6 firmware upgrade using my note edge android. Last night it veered in several different directions and tried to climb as well. Almost was able to do an air grab at one point, but while getting under it, it took off again. I managed to bring it down in a field, but when I found it, she was on her top side. This crash I was using my Ipad air. I called support this afternoon and they are sending me a shipping label so they can look it over. I think I came out lucky with only this slight top separation on the front side. I found out through youtube these P3Ps have a clip system that makes it a bit harder to take apart.
20150624_213454.jpg

I, too, have instability now, while using iOS Pilot, after the latest updates to the aircraft and the transmitter. Recalibrating the IMU and the gimbal and the compass has only led to delays in warming up, but no greater stability, and on my Pilot app the craft direction is now backwards from true orientation. I start with the aircraft pointing away and the app shows it pointing at me. Very disturbing, if you are relying upon the app for the aircraft orientation, which I do not. This has already led to one crash, which destroyed all 4 props, in which the aircraft, upon elevation to 13 feet, immediately flew both forward and sharply left, with no right stick input, into a roof deck, inverting and was ready to cartwheel off the roof 15 feet to the ground below. I hit the CSC and was able to immediately stop the motors and keep the craft on the roof, avoiding further damage. Not good!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen