Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

V1.1.1 upgrades

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davejschumaker, Jan 9, 2014.

1. davejschumaker

So I've had my phantom for close to two months now and it's a blast. But I'm not the kind of guy that can leave well enough alone and with reading so many of the upgrades that people have already done I can't wait. But I have to wonder which one to do first. I would think upgrading the TX would be the best first one to do, to avoid a fly away with all the expensive toys attached. From my research a TX with telemetry would be the most obvious choice, in case of a fly away you'd have a last position GPS coord to find it. Plus battery strength, speed, distance and a few other readings are good. So then the first question I pose is which is the best TX to get? I think I'm leaning towards the Futaba 8FG Super. More than enough channels to grow with, great distance for future FPV, freq hopping, and I've even seen a post or two that said the Futaba can easily bing with the V1.1.1 Phantom. What's not to love, right? Any words of wisdom for a new guy?

2. Tobrouk

Hi!

I chose to upgrade to FPV first as I don't really believe in fly away as long as you do all procedures correctly. I tried FPV a couple of times now and I have to say that it's awesome!

I have the Fatshark Attitude V2. It's a bundle and you get everything you need to start except the battery.

The thing with other transmitter is they don't come with centered spring sticks... I like that about the DJI transmitter. But my choice would be the Futaba T8J.

Cheers!

3. davejschumaker

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

Fatshark does seem to be the standard for FPV, so when it's time to get that gear I'm sure that's what I'll get.

I would like to not believe in fly aways either, but just seems to be too many posts that I have seen. And to watch a well over $1000 piece of equipment (+camera, FPV, etc) go bye bye, gives me a sinking feeling. I do the compass dance, but again people who have had fly aways said they did too. So for me getting a better controller seems worth every penny. Plus I will be able to bind it with other systems as I build them.

I agree with you about the center spring stick, but a quick google search does show that Futaba can be modded to have that.

SO why the choice of the T8J over the 8FG?

4. Tobrouk

Actually my choice for the T8J over the 8FG would be mainly because of the price! I guess that the T8J does the job just fine for a good price!