V+ vs GoPro hero 3

Reaction score
How much quality do you lose from the V+ compared to Hero 3? I've heard 20% does that seem right?

This GoPro is not really in focus and need some adjustment. Should be better than that. This issue is quite common unfortunately, but can be resolved with a bit of help.

I work with a lot of different types of footage from high end cameras like the alexa, red, sonys e.t.c. and reckon I am reasonably well placed to pitch my 2c against which footage looks better.

It's the gopro - do not be fooled by the 'sharpness' and 'detail' that this fellow Paul is referring to. In camera sharpening is THE DEVIL, it's artificial, it cannot be removed and it's ugly. If you want to fractionally sharpen footage (not bring out of focus footage in to focus, that's impossible), you do it afterwards in post where you have fine control. I think you can turn the sharpening off in the vision camera.

The gopro can be operated in a mode called 'protune', which although noiser, gives a flatter image (flatter image = better for grading in post). The gopro also allows ISO to be limited, has a far larger range of video resolutions and frame rates compared to the vision plus.

Lastly, the bitrate of the vision plus camera footage is only around 12mb/s at 1080p. The gopro is 43mb/s.

Try the gopro footage at 2.7k - it's really quite nice!

Flattened Protune is a good point, unfortunately we don't know here if it was On or Not, and what were the settings.
I don't know if it is the only answer. As I said, I have seen variable sharpness range in some occasions.
But I agree, the GoPro IS better, hands down!

For me (potential new buyer in research mode), the key point here was the tradeoff between complexity and deployment speed versus video quality.

Perhaps there's an argument for the GoPro being better, but is it enough to justify the complexity disadvantage? And what's the actual difference to deployment speed? How long to go from packed in case to up and flying for each solution?

I would also like to see a comparison of still image quality including low-light situations.

If you're mainly just uploading to youtube etc, the GoPro better quality is all but lost anyway.
They also don't have the best reputation for reliablity.
It's indisputable the raw footage is considerably better though - in most situations.
Also you can fairly easily dismount the gopro to use in other ways

GoPro is more likely to survive a crash but the gimbal it needs is rather easily damaged and heavier than the V+ arrangement which *might* make a crash more likely!

A major plus for the plus is you get reasonable FPV without buying more stuff, and basic in flight data is also handled very neatly by the Vision app.
Furthermore you can change settings on the camera during a flight, and monitor that it really is recording; pause and take a still or two.
You have to start the gopro before take-off, and hope it keeps working.

Here is my conclusion

The next version will blow the GoPro away

GoPro is better now, but will not be next year this time

Lasvegascfp said:
Here is my conclusion

I disagree. by next year the GoPro4 will be out and likely be better.

the gimbal/gopro solution is just far more flexiblle and upgrade-able than the Vision models. plus now you have a gopro which you can use for literally anything.... what are the Phantom Vision cameras good for when not flying the Phantom? (hint: nothing)

I'm not saying the Vision models don't have ANY advantages over the gopro, but video quality is not one of them.

JUSTNONEYA said:
The vision plus is a piece of s@$ t if you have one crash its broke and aint worth ****

Well this is definitely true, coming from learning the hard way here!

4wd said:
A major plus for the plus is you get reasonable FPV without buying more stuff, and basic in flight data is also handled very neatly by the Vision app.
Furthermore you can change settings on the camera during a flight, and monitor that it really is recording; pause and take a still or two.
You have to start the gopro before take-off, and hope it keeps working.

In this regard: Does the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition not have any direct remote control capability AT ALL? What I mean by that is - Is there any possible way to remotely instruct the GoPro to start/stop recording video or take a picture or any such thing (while flying) as you would normally be able to do with a stock P2V? I've Googled my *** off regarding this topic and have not found a definitive answer to that question.

ATC Drone Flyer said:
In this regard: Does the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition not have any direct remote control capability AT ALL? What I mean by that is - Is there any possible way to remotely instruct the GoPro to start/stop recording video or take a picture or any such thing (while flying) as you would normally be able to do with a stock P2V? I've Googled my *** off regarding this topic and have not found a definitive answer to that question.

I can definitively tell you the answer is NO at this time. Because the Vision is using wifi to talk to the device, you have actual control as described previously (change settings, start/stop). When you have a gimbal/gopro you can NOT have the wifi operational (because the RC operates on similar frequencies), therefore you must start/stop the gopro manually.

I use the gopro's wifi and the iOS app when I'm on the ground to change camera settings but of course you have to turn it off before you fly. Honestly even at 2.7k video our flight time is only 15-20 mins max so the recordings aren't THAT large. I have 3 batteries and even recording 3 flights in a row at 2.7 I don't fill up 1 empty 16GB card but 16 and 32GB MicroSD cards are so cheap these days (under $10 and $20 USD respectively) I always have a few spares around to swap in if I need.
Then yes, it's a little more editing effort to simply snip out the bits of the videos you want, but the gopro app makes it really easy.

To answer your other question there is a mode on the gopro where it records video and stills at certain intervals (2, 5 seconds etc) so you can have it do that.

The GoPro video quality is far better than the Vision (fact) and I feel like overall the GoPro is a more flexible platform (opinion), especially since you can use it for anything else off your Phantom. Let's not forget the potential FPV range of a non-vision model is far greater than a Vision, but so is the cost.

I love Phantoms I'm not trying to bash the Visions model like I said each model has advantages over the other, your choice boils down to which is right for you. I'm geeky so I enjoyed opening the case, installing my own FPV system and all that. If you want an out of the box solution you don't have to put any further effort into, the Vision is right for you.

That was an ahole answer to a simple question, a question that had plenty of other great answers and explanations from users who aren't aholes and were nice enough to help out people new to this.

Lasvegascfp said:
That was an ahole answer to a simple question, a question that had plenty of other great answers and explanations from users who aren't aholes and were nice enough to help out people new to this.

I didn't resort to name calling, but I'm ok with how you feel.

Although you may not like Kelso's answer, I agree with him.

BTW, search for some of my posts, I DO help out newbs.

Have a good day.

Diesel31 said:
Lasvegascfp said:

I didn't resort to name calling, but I'm ok with how you feel.

Although you may not like Kelso's answer, I agree with him.

BTW, search for some of my posts, I DO help out newbs.

Have a good day.

Sorry not you - the other guy to answered my original question calling me "so green"

Apologies I didn't clarify that!

Lasvegascfp said:
Here is my conclusion

Hero 4 maybe will be better yet again...

QYV said:
Lasvegascfp said:
Here is my conclusion

I disagree. by next year the GoPro4 will be out and likely be better.

the gimbal/gopro solution is just far more flexiblle and upgrade-able than the Vision models. plus now you have a gopro which you can use for literally anything.... what are the Phantom Vision cameras good for when not flying the Phantom? (hint: nothing)

I'm not saying the Vision models don't have ANY advantages over the gopro, but video quality is not one of them.

I amost went with the plus, but I really like having the gopro. I took sailing lessons last week and wore the go pro. Got some awesome footage!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers