v 1.1.1 or v 1.2

Reaction score
I have read (or think I have anyway) that the Phantom has a v 1.2 now? Is that correct? Can someone direct me to a place I can read about the versions and updates/upgrades? Thanks in advance...

pez63 said:
I have read (or think I have anyway) that the Phantom has a v 1.2 now? Is that correct? Can someone direct me to a place I can read about the versions and updates/upgrades? Thanks in advance...
1.2 and 1.3 are older than 1.1.1, which is the current version.

Yep 1.1.1 is the newest Phantom 1

It is odd, but the 1.1.1 is the newest model. I just purchased it for $399 from B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

I did my first flight today and whew it is awesome! The odd thing is their balance charger is taking forever to charge the battery. I did 1 amp the first go around and at 3 hours it didn't max it out (no solid green light).

I have another charger I use for my other heli batteries that I will use once I get a XT60 banana adapter.

You won't regret it! I can't believe how solid it was flying today. After a few more flights, I'll attach my gopro.

EDIT: Be careful where you buy it as some still sell the older models (amazon, i'm looking at you)

Set the charger to 2amp. The DJI batteries are rated for, and will only charge at a max rate of 1.8 amps. So 2 works fine. 3amps doesn't make any difference.
Normally Phantom 1 battery should charge up in about an hour, maybe less.
Also-get a voltage checker!! You will want to know how much voltage is in each of the 3 cells. This will help you spot a battery that is about to go bad(1 cell will be significantly different(lower) than the other 2 cells).
It also helps you determine how many volts you're getting out of a battery and how much they charge too.
Some, will charge too 12.7....others will max out at only 12.5...that's considered normal. When you pull them out, at 1st level warning, they should be around 11.2 or 11.3....

kydan said:
It is odd, but the 1.1.1 is the newest model. I just purchased it for $399 from B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

I did my first flight today and whew it is awesome! The odd thing is their balance charger is taking forever to charge the battery. I did 1 amp the first go around and at 3 hours it didn't max it out (no solid green light).

I have another charger I use for my other heli batteries that I will use once I get a XT60 banana adapter.

You won't regret it! I can't believe how solid it was flying today. After a few more flights, I'll attach my gopro.

EDIT: Be careful where you buy it as some still sell the older models (amazon, i'm looking at you)

I just made the purchase and decided to buy it from Amazon because I could get it tomorrow instead of in 8 days as they B&H site said. I bought it for $421 instead of $399 and that seemed worth it to me. Is it NOT the latest version? If not, I need to cancel. How do I know if it is the latest or not?

Take their words, you need to cancel ASAP.
I don't think you'll find any official documentation on phantom 1 versioning anyway.

kydan said:

Don't waste your time with the "entry level charger", since you have a better one from your helicopters. Also, I noticed the Phantom will really suck a battery down under normal flying, its hard to follow the 80% rule (discharge) and I have taken them way beyond its capacity more than once (unlike a 5 min heli flight). I changed my XT60 connector for EC3's, all my 3S packs are EC3, I buy them like that.

havasuphoto said:
Set the charger to 2amp. The DJI batteries are rated for, and will only charge at a max rate of 1.8 amps. So 2 works fine. 3amps doesn't make any difference.
Normally Phantom 1 battery should charge up in about an hour, maybe less.
Also-get a voltage checker!! You will want to know how much voltage is in each of the 3 cells. This will help you spot a battery that is about to go bad(1 cell will be significantly different(lower) than the other 2 cells).
It also helps you determine how many volts you're getting out of a battery and how much they charge too.
Some, will charge too 12.7....others will max out at only 12.5...that's considered normal. When you pull them out, at 1st level warning, they should be around 11.2 or 11.3....

The DJI batteries are rated to and charge fine at 1C (2.2A). The stock DJI charger however is current limited and won't even reach that. I do second the suggestion to get a more robust charger if you have more than 1 battery.

LeoS said:
I don't think you'll find any official documentation on phantom 1 versioning anyway.

I searched within the Amazon ad and looked through the question and answer sections. People were responding that when theirs arrived it was version 1.1.1

How will I know the difference for sure when it arrives tomorrow?

pez63 said:
LeoS said:

I searched within the Amazon ad and looked through the question and answer sections. People were responding that when theirs arrived it was version 1.1.1

How will I know the difference for sure when it arrives tomorrow?
Amazon is kind of a crap shoot. Some people got 1.1.1s a week after they were released, others are getting 1.1 and 1.2 even today. The version will typically be on a sticker on the side of the box, and inside, you'll see the quad has cw/ccw motor threads with self-tightening props, a gimbal control lever for the back of the tx and dual antennas sticking out at the landing gear. You should also see a black/orange housing Naza-M v2 inside the shell.

Self Tightening props , bind button inside the battery compartment , 2 antennas on the bird , gimbal lever on the back of the controller ,.
Who is the seller ?

750r said:
Self Tightening props , bind button inside the battery compartment , 2 antennas on the bird , gimbal lever on the back of the controller ,.
Who is the seller ?

Amazon. OK, assuming I receive the correct version 1.1.1 tomorrow (otherwise it's going back), what do I need to do first? I downloaded the quickstart guide. I have been searching on the forum for a 1st flight checklist. I want to be fully prepared. I've been practicing my flying for 2 months with a Hubsan X4 and can fly it pretty well now so decided to make the leap.

No videos anymore on the DJI site. Is there a better way to start out than the quickstart guide?

pez63 said:
Amazon. OK, assuming I receive the correct version 1.1.1 tomorrow (otherwise it's going back), what do I need to do first? I downloaded the quickstart guide. I have been searching on the forum for a 1st flight checklist. I want to be fully prepared. I've been practicing my flying for 2 months with a Hubsan X4 and can fly it pretty well now so decided to make the leap.

No videos anymore on the DJI site. Is there a better way to start out than the quickstart guide?

I set mine up today and I did have to wait as I didn't fully research the DJI controller itself. Here's some quick learnings from my experience:

1. Have 4 AA batteries ready for the DJI controller
2. The two switches, top left and top right, on the controller (they call them S1 and S2) I did not know what they mean. Research that so you're not looking around the net (the left top switch has "OFF", "CL", and "HL"--this is for IOC as I have read and I will not use this; the top right switch has "GPS", "ATTI", and "ATTI" I looked for a while until I found out that the last Atti (bottommost position) is for a setting you can turn on with the software to enable failsafe)
3. Predownload the driver and assistant software on DJI's website. Once heli arrives and battery is charged, install the driver 1st then the assistant software next.
4. The self tightening propellers didn't have caps where the motors are for mine. Look at a video online to see where the propellers with the black and silver tops go (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKm2BQID-b4 for example).
5. Watch an unboxing video and a setup video on youtube if you haven't already

That's about it as far as what would have saved myself some time.

pez63 said:
I bought it for $421 instead of $399 and that seemed worth it to me. Is it NOT the latest version? If not, I need to cancel. How do I know if it is the latest or not?

You should be able to call Amazon (or do it over the internet) and have them price match the $399 at B&H.

Ok when I got my P1 it was shipped by Amazon but sold by KooZam .
I think there is a link somewhere in the forums here that has all the videos think dronefly is where the link takes you to for the Videos but I'm not sure

ElGuano said:
... You should also see a black/orange housing Naza-M v2 inside the shell.

Kinda glad I caught you on this point- and not that I expect you to know for certain, but maybe we can verify something I discovered in the last few days:

I bought my v1.1.1 from Dronefly back in late November- I had only just recently gathered all mods and finally opened up the quad to find a NAZA V1 shell- I never considered it was anything other than a V2 as there were 2 antennas.

I sent a nastygram off to Dronefly and they called me back- their story is that so many NAZA V2's were in demand with limited stock in the very beginning, they were just using V1 shells with V2 guts... does that sound right? I also am curious about future iOSD capabilities, and anything that may not be truly compatible with the V1 shell.

kydan said:
the left top switch has "OFF", "CL", and "HL"--this is for IOC as I have read and I will not use this

You might want to change your mind on this, Using Homelock can be your best friend. If set up correctly prior to take off....if you can't figure out your orientation or fly it beyond sight, simply switch to HL, pull straight back on the right stick and it will come straight back to where it took off from.
I once lost sight of mine behind some trees way out, I let go of the sticks so gps would hold it (wherever it was), then gave full up on the left stick for about 3 seconds, switched to HL, pulled back and sure enough, here it comes, and the nose of it was facing toward me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj