Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Using the mini iOSD without a camera

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by Tsm895, May 22, 2016.

1. Tsm895

Not sure how all of the camera/fpv stuff works and since I dont have the camera on this P2 but it does have the mini iOSD installed. I didnt know if there is a way to use a cell phone/tablet just to get the information from the drone while flying sight only. Or does it require a camera in order to get the info from the drone to eith a tablet or fpv monitor. I do have another smaller drone that I can fly FPV and it comes with a small camera and a monitor but it doesnt show any info like the phantoms do, just video and when its recording or taking a pic. So I know a little but not enough...yet. Please help
    Right now I am using only a P2 but I have a P2 vision + on the way but again it doesnt have a camera or anything. Would that one work without a camera but send info from the drone to a cell phone/tablet?

2. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I am not sure you could ever get the info from a mini OSD to display on a cell phone or tablet, the P2NV just wasn't designed that way. It requires a monitor of some sort, most commonly a hobby monitor in the 7" or 8" range. If you have the quad why not add the proper camera/gimbal gear to it? At the very least mount an FPV or sports cam on it.

3. jason

One thing for is that you cannot use wifi on a P2 non-vision even if you had a camera as the P2 nv operates on a frequency of 2.4GHz which is what wifi operates on. So have a mini iOSD does you no good if you don't have the rest of FPV system.

Of course you have the almost the same problem with the P2 vision + without a camera that you are waiting for

4. Tsm895

so basically I need to get me a camera and a monitor. Is it the phantom 3 that uses a cellphone or tablet as well as a monitor or can that be used on any p2-p3 .
    I have 2 controllers, the older version that came with the p2 and also the updated controller that has a dial on the upper left corner. That would work for either drone correct? The mini iosd on my P2 can that be used on the P2v+ or does that require one?

5. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The P2v+ is a self contained system if it was all there, just add a phone or tablet. The P2 Zen requires a monitor. The P3 requires a phone or device, no monitors. The P3A/P has an option to add an HDMI port and send a feed out through that. Your P2 TX'x should work fine, I believe the P2V+ had the built in tilt wheel in the upper corner.

6. jason

You have a P2 vision on its way and neither of the controller you have will operate the P2 vision + as its operating frequency 5.8GHZ and the two controllers you have are the P2 non-vision at a frequency of 2.4GHz.

Yes you can use a phone or tablet with the P2 vision +.

7. Tsm895

well I have a phone and a tablet but niether one come with a camera or gimble but the P2 has the mini iosd along with all the cables so that one I would just need to add a camera and a gimble. Not sure what the P2v+ has in it but for sure no camera or gimble. However if I add a camera to any of them it most likely will be on the P2v+ since I have had problems with the P2. It has been a great teacher so far and hopefully I will have better luck with the vision+

8. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I guess I assumed you has a P2 controller for each quad, P2V+ and P2. They look the same but as Jason stated they work on different frequencies. The giveaway for a P2V+ will be a range extender box on it and a device holder.

9. jason

Here's what you need for FPV with the P2 nv a camera (GoPro), Gimbal, video transmitter, mini iOSD (you already have), plug n play cable and a diversity monitor/receiver.,

10. markato

So I have a question along these lines. I just purchased a walkera G2D gimbal, IOSD mini, and an ilook cam, and monitor. I have almost all of it working (IOSD mini and pitch control from remote to gimbal). Does anyone know if the IOSD mini can tie into the ilook? ( they have a built in transmitter attached to cam). Yes I know this set up is cheap but it works for now.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app