Using the Drone in Las Vegas and San Francisco

Reaction score
Hi all,

We are going to Las Vegas for a week in the summer followed by a few nights in SF.
We've used our drone for every trip we have taken in the UK and in Europe, however, I'm aware that rules are pretty different in the US - I just cant work out some places say you can some say you cant and then you see videos online.

Can anyone advise where you can actually find hard rules that aren't a bit shady and give clear instructions for flying abroad? We don't want to risk taking it using up valuable luggage space if we aren't going to be able to use it. However, would love to add the shots to our collection...

any help please.

You can fly in the US after registering with the FAA here.

Reactions: flyme2themoon
One thing that does not appear on any of the maps is Red Rock Canyon. It's off limits as it's a national park. Also valley of fire state park is off limits. So is lake mead and the Colorado river. Be careful on the 95 leaving Vegas to the north as most of the area is military north of the road. And the strip. Don't even risk it. It's 1/2 mile from McCarran international.

I asked about flying my drone at Red rock canyon and they said no problem.
Even had a ranger drive past while I was flying.
Here are the rules,

Yes, visitors can fly drones for recreational purposes at Red Rock Canyon. Drones must be registered through the Federal Aviation Administration before flying them. Please do not disturb wildlife or visitors while flying your drone.

Visitors are prohibited from launching and landing drones and other unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) in Red Rock Canyon’s Wilderness Areas (La Madre Wilderness Area & Rainbow Wilderness Area).
The Las Vegas Soaring Club also has flying space nearby. To find out more information, please visit www.lvsoaringclub.org

It's a national conservation area and actually a state park
I took off and landed at various spots inside the park.
Just 2 wilderness areas that are restricted and aren't inside the park

Last edited:
I just called RRC and verified this. I call before just going somewhere and fly based on what someone tells me or I read somewhere. The nice lady let me read the statement above back to her and she said Budman quoted it 100%.

Edit: I just realized it is stated on the website in the FAQ section.

Last edited:
Reactions: ravedog and Budman
I'm also heading to vegas in a few weeks and this thread was helpful. I am curious to learn about someone who has gotten caught. Anyone? I want to bring my P4 to get "responsible" video, nothing else. Who monitors it and what would happen if I got caught? If I am out in the middle of lake mead and get caught taking video, what happens? BTW- the Flight Restriction Information menu on the DJI app
tempFileForShare_20170829-154511.jpg
doesn't have vegas as an unauthorized flight zone, once you're out of the airport range. That doesn't mean it's not illegal, but it appears ok from their perspective...

Not sure what you're looking at but most of everything in Vegas east of the strip is bad. Henderson airport, McCarrren, north Las Vegas and Nellis. And lake mead? Go ahead. What are you planning on doing with the footage? Keep it to yourself? Then you probably won't get in trouble. Maybe. But seriously, if an area is off limits, then don't be that guy that helps pass more laws and brings more regulation. Lake mead and Colorado river are off limits. Use your apps. It's not that complicated.

There are plenty of places to fly but not the areas that you are trying to justify.

Attachments

• IMG_1144.PNG
    IMG_1144.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 643
  • IMG_1145.PNG
    IMG_1145.PNG
    917.4 KB · Views: 583

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members