Using separate battery for FPV

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a separate battery for the FPV? I was thinking about a small 3s like a 350 to 400 Mah battery. My idea being that the battery would give the FPV Tx a more consistent power source, perhaps reducing break-up toward the end of the flight. Is this a stupid idea?

I dont notice any difference in signal from start or end of a flight powering of the main battery, may depend on your vtx but the dji 5.8 has no issues powering of the main battery. I used to use the balance plug and now use a direct connection to the aux port with no changes in signal quality just avoid needing to plug it in each flight.

Are you sure your not simply talking about intereferance when flying back directly towards you. If you have the vtx antenna at the rear then flying directly towards you will get the gopro and possibly the entire phantom body into the signals los. Especially at high forward pitch angles where the rear will lift up and cause the body to intercere more with the signal.

My FPV set up came with a separate battery and it was more of a hassle charging, remounting vs direct wiring to aux power cable. Either way quality was the same.

It's not beneficial.
first off, flying with an extra battery won't save any power. a 30g battery alone will cut 30 seconds off your flying time.
- on each flight.
whereas using the Phantoms Aux power wouldn't sap nearly as much power.

the power it takes to power a Tx is nothing compared to the power required to power a motor, there's still tons of juice left the Phantom's battery even after its reached battery failsafe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4