Using phone vs tablet (gps/data)

Reaction score
As a brand new phantom owner, I'm wondering what the differences are (feature wise) between using a data/gps-connected smartphone and just a tablet?

I've heard mentions of the tablets being non-cellular, but don't know what FEATURES that actually implies?

What do I lose by just using my tablet? What about my tablet tethered to my phone, where it has data but still no gps? Anything else?

I've heard mentions of the tablets being non-cellular, but don't know what FEATURES that actually implies?
People are referring to Apple devices. If it's a Wi-Fi only Apple device, it does not have a built-in GPS receiver.

What do I lose by just using my tablet?
If you don't have GPS on your device, you cannot do the following:
  • Use the Follow Me feature in DJI GO
  • Reset the home point to your current location after taking off
A lot of people probably never use those features. If you have no plans to use them, then a Wi-Fi only tablet will work just fine.

What about my tablet tethered to my phone, where it has data but still no gps?
This is useful if you need to download the maps -- and, did not cache them before you headed out to fly.

Hi guys, new here too!
I'm planning to use my old iPad A1395, can I?
Please let me know anything. Thanks guys!

I have Wifi only Ipad and has no issues, it has build in GPS. you need just preload maps where you flying first. all modern tablets has build in GPS. also i made few "accuracy" tests, RTH gave me 1-2 feet accuracy landing, pretty good I think.

I have Wifi only Ipad and has no issues, it has build in GPS. you need just preload maps where you flying first. all modern tablets has build in GPS. also i made few "accuracy" tests, RTH gave me 1-2 feet accuracy landing, pretty good I think.
The Phantom doesn't use the GPS in your tablet at all except for Follow-me and for resetting the home point to the current location of the controller.
For all flying and RTH, the Phantom uses its own GPS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31