Using Phantom in Documentary Production

Reaction score
I picked up the Phantom to see if I liked the quadcopter thing (and to get decent at flying one before investing some serious cash). Some glorious crashes and about 20 flights later I'm still loving it. My high speed and high altitude piloting is still pretty weak but I've been focusing on getting smooth shots that I could conceivably use for documentary projects.
So here is a collection of shots from some of my recent flights. I've mostly taken care of the jello thing except on a few shots (the worst jello shots near the end of the edit were with some carbon fiber props before switching back to the stock props). Perhaps they weren't balanced properly.
Along with stock props, I'm using a nomojello mount and ND filters on my GoPro.
Let me know what you think.
https://vimeo.com/65010723

You're from Richmond! I grew up there and went to VCU, thats great to see it from the perspective of a Phantom! Footage looked really smooth too, especially the Forest Hill trails. Man I miss that place!

Awesome! Just moved here about 8 months ago. The James makes for a great Phantom subject (if you're OK flying your Phantom over water).

I can imagine, I was just thinking this morning that someone needs to fly straight down the suspension foot bridge that takes you to Belle Isle. Might wanna fly FPV for that one though, navigating those steel cables can be tricky! Come to think of it, I'm going to be there early June and will have my Phantom with me, perhaps we should meet up for a flight!

I'm game. You can reach me through my website at fourthlinefilms.com. I believe there's another RVA Phantom flyer. Would love to get tips and see how others fly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl